Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
My flight was delayed overnight due to late EWR inbound aircraft because of weather in Charlotte. Customer service initially basically said they don't do anything until I told her I am 1K. Then she proceeded to issue me a voucher for Hilton EWR and 3 meal vouchers at $20 each for me and 3 vouchers at $10 each for my wife. I would have filed a claim for hotel and meal expenses with Chase since the tickets were purchased with Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, although this saved me the hassle.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by CIT85
My flight was delayed overnight due to late EWR inbound aircraft because of weather in Charlotte. Customer service initially basically said they don't do anything until I told her I am 1K. Then she proceeded to issue me a voucher for Hilton EWR and 3 meal vouchers at $20 each for me and 3 vouchers at $10 each for my wife. I would have filed a claim for hotel and meal expenses with Chase since the tickets were purchased with Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, although this saved me the hassle.
fantastic service
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Missed Connection Hotel for 1K

New 1K here so wondering.... our incoming flight today on an MCO-ORD-XXX went MX and now we will arrive in ORD after our connection leaves. So, the question is whether to continue to ORD and spend the night in a hotel or go home and try again tomorrow. In the past, I would never expect United to spring for a hotel room in ORD. But now that I am 1K, is that an option. I have little desire to spend the $300 for the ORD Hilton myself just to gain a few hours arrival time tomorrow, but if they are paying.....
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
New 1K here so wondering.... our incoming flight today on an MCO-ORD-XXX went MX and now we will arrive in ORD after our connection leaves. So, the question is whether to continue to ORD and spend the night in a hotel or go home and try again tomorrow. In the past, I would never expect United to spring for a hotel room in ORD. But now that I am 1K, is that an option. I have little desire to spend the $300 for the ORD Hilton myself just to gain a few hours arrival time tomorrow, but if they are paying.....
I usually like to make progress toward my destination, especially if I get to a hub where I can have some options. But...
DELee posted a Chicago travel waiver Travel Waiver: Chicago Severe Weather (October 25, 2021 - October 26, 2021) which might make reroute from MCO more desirable in the first place.

Also depends on flight options the next day, travel time to / from the hotel (not sure how likely the ORD hilton is) you might only get three hours sleep if you choose an early flight out of ORD.

Also, for MX, they would have had to put you up even if lowly gold. Not sure if 1K improves your hotel options though.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
they will pay. ORD Hilton is likely but not guaranteed
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Thanks for moving my post to the correct thread.

So we went ahead to ORD given the advise. As it turned out, our connecting flight was also 2 hours late. So we made it! I guess that is another reason to keep moving.

Nice to know of this 1k benefit. It will give me more confidence in the future.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Nice to know of this 1k benefit. It will give me more confidence in the future.
A few years back - during one of my last years as 1K - my Calgary-SFO was severely delayed and I missed the last HNL flight. A bad storm had hit the area and all the contracted hotels were completely full. I had to fend for myself. So, while rare - they can run out of hotel rooms - at least at SFO.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I will have a misconnect in AMS due to UA delayed arrival (already got the notification). The next connecting flight is 24 hours later (same flight next day). Can I get UA to pay for the hotel and/or meals? Presume I have to get vouchers from ... who?
Old May 31, 2022, 1:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I will have a misconnect in AMS due to UA delayed arrival (already got the notification). The next connecting flight is 24 hours later (same flight next day). Can I get UA to pay for the hotel and/or meals? Presume I have to get vouchers from ... who?
Don't need to be an 1K for this, any *G on disrupted intercontinental travel (for any reason) (page 152-163)
MINIMUM AMENITIES
• Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information
about communication access;
• Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
• Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
• Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
• For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation
options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide
ground transportation compensation fee.
UA customer service at the problem airport should handle this but calling UA may work also
Old May 31, 2022, 2:26 am
hch

Assuming you connect inside the EU in AMS you also fall under 261/2004, which in addition to accommodation independent of FF status will also entitle you to compensation (unless UA can credibly claim "Force Majeure").
Old May 31, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if you have trouble getting vouchers from UA, just save your receipts and send them to CS after you return. Never had an issue getting my $$$ back

Originally Posted by hch
Assuming you connect inside the EU in AMS you also fall under 261/2004, which in addition to accommodation independent of FF status will also entitle you to compensation (unless UA can credibly claim "Force Majeure").
For a non-EU carrier arriving into the EU . UA will most certainly deny the claim.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone else had problems recently with 1KVoice not being able to open email attachments? I have two separate claims stuck in limbo at the moment because agents insist that I'm sending them corrupt PDFs, and I'm running out of ideas. The Premier Voice URL now seems to redirect to the My Account page, so that doesn't seem to be an option either. Any thoughts?
CPS89 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Has anyone else had problems recently with 1KVoice not being able to open email attachments? I have two separate claims stuck in limbo at the moment because agents insist that I'm sending them corrupt PDFs, and I'm running out of ideas. The Premier Voice URL now seems to redirect to the My Account page, so that doesn't seem to be an option either. Any thoughts?
Haven't had to email 1KV an attachment in a while but... Try generating the PDF with another tool (e.g. print the PDF as a 'new' PDF)? Fax?* Screen shot each page of the PDF as a PNG/JPEG/TIFF instead?

(*-Though that is going the way of the dodo... I had a form the other day that asked me to 'Fax the completed form to [email protected]' ... uh... that's not how fax works )
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Have you tried taking a photo and sending as a png?

I think that is the suffix for a photo
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possible to send in a different format?
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.