Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
So the answer to my question for prioritizing category 3 in the Wiki "Front to back for non GS/1K passengers"? Obviously this could make a difference on seat choice.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
In general, based on my observation, the FAs are always going either hopscotch to 1K/GS or front to back - I have never seen back to front personally since the merger.
I think 'front to back for non-GS/1K' is a good summary.

Even with the hopscotch, after it finishes they go front to back from what I see.

As a tangent, I've never seen back to front, although I wasn't so aware of the procedures before the merger (also, never flew CO). And my experience is that front to back with galley or real-time/retroactive priority is more common. Real-time/retroactive priority means FA will tell pax both options until one runs out, unless GS/1K status in which case both. If status requests the impacted option, FA will go back to someone else and offer a BoB or snackbox.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by fumje

Even with the hopscotch, after it finishes they go front to back from what I see.

As a tangent, I've never seen back to front, although I wasn't so aware of the procedures before the merger (also, never flew CO). And my experience is that front to back with galley or real-time/retroactive priority is more common. Real-time/retroactive priority means FA will tell pax both options until one runs out, unless GS/1K status in which case both. If status requests the impacted option, FA will go back to someone else and offer a BoB or snackbox.
I've seen "back to front" but it's been a while.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Front to back for all is the most common version I see, with priority only occasionally accorded properly. In my experience it was fine until they cut the third option from longer flights; now the crew feels too awkward to ask for a second choice when there is only one other choice, and similarly too awkward to deny a choice.

Some crew skip around; I wish they wouldn't since it feels weird but I guess it's better than not getting a meal choice. Once we did a public "roll call" and shouted out meal choices, but to be fair it was an E70 flight with a 6-seat cabin.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Front to back for all is the most common version I see, with priority only occasionally accorded properly. In my experience it was fine until they cut the third option from longer flights; now the crew feels too awkward to ask for a second choice when there is only one other choice, and similarly too awkward to deny a choice.

Some crew skip around; I wish they wouldn't since it feels weird but I guess it's better than not getting a meal choice. Once we did a public "roll call" and shouted out meal choices, but to be fair it was an E70 flight with a 6-seat cabin.
Why are so many folks uncomfortable with hopscotching by status? It simplifies and clarifies the meal order process and reduces the risk of priority customers not getting their choice.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why are so many folks uncomfortable with hopscotching by status? It simplifies and clarifies the meal order process and reduces the risk of priority customers not getting their choice.
It doesn't bother me a lot, but the system of asking for a second choice, prioritizing in the galley, and quietly apologizing to anyone who doesn't get their first choice seemed to work fine on my old 3-choice TCON flights and avoided loudly calling out who in the F cabin was/wasn't 1K or GS.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje

I've (coming from the CO side) never seen back to front, but IIRC AA did "FEBO" -- or "Front Even / Back Odd" where they did Front to Back for even flight numbers and the reverse for odd flight numbers.

I don't mind either most of the time but sometimes when they hopscotch, I'm in the middle of the cabin they come to me first (leaning over the person in the aisle), address me by name and then repeat with other 1Ks before returning to my (unrelated) seatmate... I've gotten more than one "what makes you so special?" from that and it can be awkward.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I've (coming from the CO side) never seen back to front, but IIRC AA did "FEBO" -- or "Front Even / Back Odd" where they did Front to Back for even flight numbers and the reverse for odd flight numbers.
DL still does this.

I don't mind either most of the time but sometimes when they hopscotch, I'm in the middle of the cabin they come to me first (leaning over the person in the aisle), address me by name and then repeat with other 1Ks before returning to my (unrelated) seatmate... I've gotten more than one "what makes you so special?" from that and it can be awkward.
I don't understand how GS/1K have no qualms about preboarding ahead of the rest of the cabin, yet feel that FAs taking orders from them first is an awkward immodesty.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
DL still does this.

I don't understand how GS/1K have no qualms about preboarding ahead of the rest of the cabin, yet feel that FAs taking orders from them first is an awkward immodesty.
If you're the only one preboarding perhaps you will stick out a bit. But with the usual clump of people preboarding, along with the fact that many of the preboard categories aren't status-related, I think having the verbal call-out with someone stuck next to you is a bit more obvious. This is especially so when seated at the window, since the FA has to say it over the aisle seat occupant.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Catering made it easy for our FA on UA1964 IAD-SEA yesterday morning - they only loaded one option! He did make an announcement to the cabin and apologized profusely, we even left 10 minutes late hoping they would bring a second option but nothing showed up. He then went from to back asking if we wanted breakfast and jokingly asked if eggs were OK
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by diburning
DL still does this.

+1 - I too am confused by the angst shown about the hopscotch process.

If someone feels the need to tell me "I must be special", my answer would be "thank you, everyone thinks so".

What are they going to do, throw their $0.75 glass of "sparkling wine" at me in a jealous rage?

The same thing can happen in Y - I've had nasty looks from other passengers when the FA gives me a tapas box without charge, but insists they need to pay - or even better - when the FA came to my row, thanked me for being a loyal 1K and Million Miler, asked me if I wanted a snack box or drink, brought it to me right away and ignored the non-status customers near by until they were served - and charged - from the cart.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I've gotten more than one "what makes you so special?" from that and it can be awkward.
My stock response to this is: “Nothing really... I just fly too much.” Never had anyone react negatively to that.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by GBadger

My stock response to this is: “Nothing really... I just fly too much.” Never had anyone react negatively to that.
This is the perfect response. I just smile and say, "I fly way too much" and the seatmate almost always replies with some version of "Glad I'm not you..."
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Why Does United Insult some of its Polaris customers

Imagine going to an expensive restaurant, there is a menu offering 5 entrees, you advise the server you will have the salmon, and the server says, "There are 38 customers dining tonight, we only have enough salmon to serve 4 so we have carefully analyzed every guest's spend at this restaurant for the past year. You don't qualify for the salmon. How about pasta?" This my experience on a recent Polaris flight EWR-MAD. The FA went to the lady ahead of me and said, "You are 1K so I am asking your for your choice of entree first." Then the FA worked her way down the status levels and kept apologizing that they only had 4 salmon dishes. That seems to be the UA way. The Delta way is to offer their business class PAX their entree choice online in advance so no customer is disappointed.

I hesitated to post this. If one is privileged enough to fly over the ocean in business class it is bad for one's soul to focus on minor disappointments rather than to appreciate all of the great things about the experience. However, running a small service business myself--I am a lawyer--and wanting to leave my clients and potential clients with a great impression of myself, I just have to scratch my head in wonderment as to why UA thinks its way of offering customers entree choices is not far inferior to Delta's way.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jonsail
Imagine going to an expensive restaurant, there is a menu offering 5 entrees, you advise the server you will have the salmon, and the server says, "There are 38 customers dining tonight, we only have enough salmon to serve 4 so we have carefully analyzed every guest's spend at this restaurant for the past year. You don't qualify for the salmon. How about pasta?" This my experience on a recent Polaris flight EWR-MAD. The FA went to the lady ahead of me and said, "You are 1K so I am asking your for your choice of entree first." Then the FA worked her way down the status levels and kept apologizing that they only had 4 salmon dishes. That seems to be the UA way. The Delta way is to offer their business class PAX their entree choice online in advance so no customer is disappointed.

I hesitated to post this. If one is privileged enough to fly over the ocean in business class it is bad for one's soul to focus on minor disappointments rather than to appreciate all of the great things about the experience. However, running a small service business myself--I am a lawyer--and wanting to leave my clients and potential clients with a great impression of myself, I just have to scratch my head in wonderment as to why UA thinks its way of offering customers entree choices is not far inferior to Delta's way.
The only way they could do this is with pre-order, and I don't see people adopting that in sufficient quantities to make sure that no one is disappointed onboard by not getting their first choice.

Luckily for everyone here, I no longer eat any main courses on any Polaris flight, leaving more choices for everyone else. I mainly have the tomato soup and grilled cheese on the Asian flights and some cookies/cakes or cheese on the European flights. In flight food is so poor and inconsistent that I just plan not to have it anymore, and I eat something good in the Polaris Lounge or a nice airport restaurant prior to departure.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I no longer eat any main courses on any Polaris flight, leaving more choices for everyone else. I mainly have the tomato soup and grilled cheese on the Asian flights and some cookies/cakes or cheese on the European flights. In flight food is so poor and inconsistent that I just plan not to have it anymore, and I eat something good in the Polaris Lounge or a nice airport restaurant prior to departure.
This is absolutely the best option nowadays.

I will add that what UA does in prioritizing elite meal selection is not unique. I've been denied first choice on both LX (as *G) and AF (as ST+) on paid business class tickets. It does sting a little, but I understand the rationale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.