Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Someone took my luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You may have linked the wrong thread, I see no evidence of either (a) or (b) in the referenced thread.
Referenced thread was: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...carousels.html

From post #1 in the referenced thread: "I had an expensive suitcase stolen a few years ago. Fortunately, it was completely filled with my family's dirty laundry from two weeks in Maui. I pity the fool that stole it. The airline's compensation was more than enough to cover the suitcase and the old dirty clothes in it, so I just forgot about it."

From post #7 in the referenced thread: "I read many years ago that cost analysis showed the airlines it was simply cheaper to pay out to people who lost luggage this way than to pay for security at the carousels, so that is why it is the way it is."
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seenitall
.... From post #1 in the referenced thread: "I had an expensive suitcase stolen a few years ago. Fortunately, it was completely filled with my family's dirty laundry from two weeks in Maui. I pity the fool that stole it. The airline's compensation was more than enough to cover the suitcase and the old dirty clothes in it, so I just forgot about it."
A customer service gesture is not evidence of admitting responsibility. I get hotel for WX delays -- UA does not take responsibility for the WX but decides to provide a customer service gesture.

Additionally a single incident does not show the existence of a policy -- one of the first thing you learn about airlines is any thing can happen but don't depend on it happening again unless there is a a firm written policy.

Originally Posted by seenitall
....From post #7 in the referenced thread: "I read many years ago that cost analysis showed the airlines it was simply cheaper to pay out to people who lost luggage this way than to pay for security at the carousels, so that is why it is the way it is."
that is a vague remembrance plus speculation.

The reason for challenge of these statements is there have been those you have been denied and there is no written public policy to fall back on. These posting will do nothing if you are denied.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by spearsba
Only three places in the world I fly to that still checks bag tags, Misawa, Okinawa and Kwajalein.

How true ^
Irrelevant to flying, but I took an Amtrak trip for Christmas and they checked everyone's tags when pickup up luggage.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A customer service gesture is not evidence of admitting responsibility. I get hotel for WX delays -- UA does not take responsibility for the WX but decides to provide a customer service gesture.

Additionally a single incident does not show the existence of a policy -- one of the first thing you learn about airlines is any thing can happen but don't depend on it happening again unless there is a a firm written policy.

that is a vague remembrance plus speculation.

The reason for challenge of these statements is there have been those you have been denied and there is no written public policy to fall back on. These posting will do nothing if you are denied.
WC: I have posted evidence (such as it is on FT) that airlines do pay compensation for baggage that they may have placed on a belt, but that the customer does not receive. Your response is to split hairs as to whether this is due to good will or responsibility and to claim that single examples are not dispositive. Can you provide any evidence that customer claims for such losses have been denied?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was in SFO 1/24. We were delayed slightly to fix the PA. A guy boarded late in F, when he put his bag up he noticed that he grabbed the wrong carry-on bag from his previous flight because he was in a hurry. The GA came on board and took the bag. She came back with another bag but it wasnt his. They finally had to close the door and leave so he never got his bag.

Not sure if either party got their bag back. Not sure where the mystery bag showed up from and who it belongs to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.