Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Someone took my luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 1MM
I've got that same Samsonite bag with the three clasps. If those ever got busted there'd be no way to hold the suitcase closed. My solution: I bought a few big (6-8 inch square) bright yellow reflector stickers and put them on both sides of my hard case luggage. The uglier the better - makes it easier to recognize and less likely someone will walk off with your bag either intentionally or in error. I have not yet found as good a solution for the clone black soft case rollerboards. Everyone's got a ribbon attached to the handle.

Last edited by eegulleye; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tyc
It was in Hong Kong papers last year that they have caught a theft ring targeting certain brand of luggage in Hong Kong. Those were expensive luxury branded luggage. Mine is not an luxury bag, but a common season bag for some frequent traveller or crews. So, I thought I check with this community to see if there are other occurrences.
That's my concern with my Rimowa's. I'm not going to take them to somewhere that I have trouble getting to the belt before the luggages pop out.

It's kinda like the same thing about your wife choosing her hand bags. Not bringing to a Hermes to Italy if she feels "unsafe" about it.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Zip Ties can be your friend. A bag of 50 at Harbor Freight Tools for $1.49 or free with a coupon. I very rarely check bags, but I have used them to secure both ends of the zippers together. TSA only have cut them off two bags with perhaps 100 or so checked bags and many, many times storing luggage with the bell captain at your hotel. Just throw a few zip ties in your bag for the return flt and use a nail clipper to cut them off when you arrive at your destination.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I lock my Tumi TecraLite* (TSA lock) bags because #1 it keeps the zipper pulls secure and 2) even though it's a premium brand, someone behind the scenes will go for the unlocked bag first. Never anything too valuable in it anyway except a Jambox.

*used UA miles to buy these, I'd never pay the stupid-tax for Tumi but it's held up well over three years of weekly trips.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I disagree with using locks to deter unscrupulous baggage handlers - to me that just identifies the bag as having something in it worth locking.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
I disagree with using locks to deter unscrupulous baggage handlers - to me that just identifies the bag as having something in it worth locking.
I have to agree with that statement - I kind of screams, open me! Open me!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I rather liked my key ring solution, but it took me forever to get the damned bag open with that thing securing it. I could at least open the lost lock with a toothpick in a jiffy.
I've been known to use paper clips to secure the zips. Just loop through both zipper holes and it's a breeze.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by euslaner

Why would United be responsible for someone taking your luggage?

In this case, it seems pretty clear that the airlines' choice not to provide security and match bag tags to their owner contributed significantly to the episode. Since they provided such security in the past, is is clearly feasible but not cost effective. Therefore, the airline should pay damages, and seek to recover that from the person who took the luggage if they wish.

They've made the choice to not provide adequate security and should pay the alternative price, i.e., making the customer whole.
Exactly. I'm sure the airlines know this. I'll be surprised if any claim in these circumstances was turned down.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
Yeah, it does. But it still requires them to make an effort to get in. Most quick thieves in baggage handling don't want to take the time to break into a locked bag. If it's soft sided I guess they could cut it. But most luggage thieves are opportunists. They'd rather zip it open, quick peek, grab something cool and close it up. Less chance of being observed than if you're cutting through a lock with a small pair of bolt cutters or using plier to rip open the zipper.

Originally Posted by kilo

Originally posted by Doc Savage
In this case, it seems pretty clear that the airlines' choice not to provide security and match bag tags to their owner contributed significantly to the episode. Since they provided such security in the past, is is clearly feasible but not cost effective. Therefore, the airline should pay damages, and seek to recover that from the person who took the luggage if they wish.

They've made the choice to not provide adequate security and should pay the alternative price, i.e., making the customer whole.

Exactly. I'm sure the airlines know this. I'll be surprised if any claim in these circumstances was turned down.
Sorry, makes no sense. In most big airports the airline has no authority to be checking bags in the baggage claim. Many airports (SLC comes to mind as well as SFO International) the baggage carousel often has bags from multiple flights and multiple airlines together. The responsibility for security lies with the airport, IMO.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I've been known to use paper clips to secure the zips. Just loop through both zipper holes and it's a breeze.
+1
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

Sorry, makes no sense. In most big airports the airline has no authority to be checking bags in the baggage claim. Many airports (SLC comes to mind as well as SFO International) the baggage carousel often has bags from multiple flights and multiple airlines together. The responsibility for security lies with the airport, IMO.
And this is the case in HKG as well (bolding mine).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
And if it was a TSA-approved lock, it's precisely as effective as a little sticker that says "pls do not open thx."

Locking luggage is a fool's errand.
Why is that?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Why is that?
Because, as someone who described using one for a non-locking purpose explained above, they can be opened with a paperclip. Adding the TSA master key bypass is like adding a guess-a-number-between-one-and-ten bypass to your vault.

In the grand scheme of lock security level, it goes:
  • TSA Master Bypass
  • Crummy File Cabinet
  • High School Locker
  • All Other Locks
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by Often1
UA delivered the bag to the carousel. That's the end of the line, the story and liability.
I do not believe you are correct. Supposed the belt ate the luggage (which happens). Or what if UA delivered the bag to the wrong carousel (which happens all of the time). Do you think the Pax would have to file a claim against the airport? No. The claim would be filed against UA, and UA could then decide if it wanted to go after the airport.

PAX have no contract with airports for their services. Airlines have contracts with airports for these services and Pax have contracts with airlines. If the airport screws up, it is UA's responsibility to go after them. If I were the OP, I would file a claim with UA.

See this FT thread for evidence that (a) airlines remain responsible for baggage stolen from carousels; and (b) airlines pay claims for such stolen baggage. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...carousels.html

Last edited by seenitall; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:56 am Reason: Added reference
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Because, as someone who described using one for a non-locking purpose explained above, they can be opened with a paperclip. Adding the TSA master key bypass is like adding a guess-a-number-between-one-and-ten bypass to your vault.

In the grand scheme of lock security level, it goes:
  • TSA Master Bypass
  • Crummy File Cabinet
  • High School Locker
  • All Other Locks
I've never thought of it this way.

There are lots of people who touch my luggage on a trip, and most of them have neither the time nor skill to know how to break into a TSA approved lock.

It's always been my thinking that the people who steal contents of luggage would choose the easiest opportunity and would therefore prefer to target a bag that can be immediately and easily opened vs. one that requires breaking a lock.

And, is it really true that all TSA locks can easily be opened with nothing more than a paper clip?

Furthermore, the lock serves the purpose of keeping the zipper closed.

I don't see that using a TSA lock is a bad idea. If someone can break it open, then I'm no worse off than if I had no lock anyway, but it would deter some people, and it keeps the zipper closed.

Someone said upthread that the lock makes it a target but I don't buy that logic either. Locks are very common, so I don't think the existence of a lock represents a reliable signal that valuables are inside.

The only thing that's been said on this topic, which I agree with, is concern about use of high value luggage, like Rimowa. I have two Rimowa pieces, but they're both carry-on only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.