Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by travellingcari
Luckily the weekday agents were a little more clueful. Should have known better than to call on weekend evening. This morning's call actually was answered by the Premier Desk and resolved in about 30 seconds. Kept my Tuesday flight, now going into LGA vs. EWR but date > airport for me for this flight. And, to be honest, LGA is better for me than EWR.

Fare rules were:
NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT/CHGFEE

Thanks all!
Those aren't fare rules, they are ticket endorsements. Fare rules are several pages long.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
any chance of rebooking when a sked change brings new flights to connect with?

Has anyone ever succeeded in gaining a change fee-free booking when the schedule of other flights between two cities adds in new service?

My specifics are as follows. Booked LHR-SFO-YVR with a 5+ hour layover at SFO to ride in the bubble of the 747 (never miss a chance to do this the way UA is going with 777 expansion, etc.).

In a recent sked change, UA has added a brand new UX flight SFO-YVR that departs two hours after the LHR flight lands, and thus gets to YVR three hours before my currently booked connection. There's even R space on the E175 at present.

If that flight would have been in the system, I'd have booked it as a connection, but it didn't exist a few months back when I booked (to get the R space on the 747 UD).

Any strategy to change this without paying hundreds of dollars, before a SDC at check in at LHR, when seats might no longer be available?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:35 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
That seems like a tough proposition, since (unless you did not mention it) nothing about your original flight combination has changed or been delayed. But I would say it doesn't hurt to ask via phone, since that seems like a very long time to have to wait for a connection.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:49 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I personally have not encountered a similar situation, but I would call 1K line late at night to get Honolulu desk and ask them. Is the same fare bucket available? Emphasize the 5 hour layover you wish to change. They may do it for a 1K. You can always HUCA. Please report what happened. Good luck.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by transportprof
Has anyone ever succeeded in gaining a change fee-free booking when the schedule of other flights between two cities adds in new service?

My specifics are as follows. Booked LHR-SFO-YVR with a 5+ hour layover at SFO to ride in the bubble of the 747 (never miss a chance to do this the way UA is going with 777 expansion, etc.).

In a recent sked change, UA has added a brand new UX flight SFO-YVR that departs two hours after the LHR flight lands, and thus gets to YVR three hours before my currently booked connection. There's even R space on the E175 at present.

If that flight would have been in the system, I'd have booked it as a connection, but it didn't exist a few months back when I booked (to get the R space on the 747 UD).

Any strategy to change this without paying hundreds of dollars, before a SDC at check in at LHR, when seats might no longer be available?
I have had success in a similar situation, but there was also a change to the booked flights which helped put the itinerary into a more "flexible" state. Basically I explained it as, "I obviously would have booked the more reasonable and convenient connection if it were offered when I bought the tickets" and that seemed to work OK.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:00 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
The situation that transportprof cites is not really a schedule change that UA made to an existing ITIN. I am not sure why his situation does not go into a separate thread. He wants to know about how to propose a schedule change to UA without incurring a change fee because of a new flight added to available flights that occurred after he ticketed his ITIN.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I have had success in a similar situation, but there was also a change to the booked flights which helped put the itinerary into a more "flexible" state. Basically I explained it as, "I obviously would have booked the more reasonable and convenient connection if it were offered when I bought the tickets" and that seemed to work OK.
I tried asking for a change late last night via the Premier/1K line. The friendly agent said she could not make such a change for free absent a sked change one of my booked flights.

I guess that makes sense, as there are sked changes going on across the UA system, and if one could change a flight at any sked change, then there would be no such chance to pay a change fee ever.

So I'll be checking my itin over the coming months and hoping to see red. But for now, I'll have a 5 hour layover @SFO. Maybe I'll be able to get into the EVA Air lounge?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:27 pm

had reward ticket itinerary that ended with STR-EWR. sometime semi-recently, received a email and call that my itinerary had changed - STR-EWR is no longer flown by UA. agent was VERY comprehensive, outlining all of the options to get back to EWR on both UA and partner, including flights from cities that never had saver awards available and adding segments to get there with a long layover if i wanted (OSL, AMS, MUC, FRA, LHR), offered to change the date of my return fee-free. i ended up adding an overnight in MUC to the end of my honeymoon!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Avis First
UA Schedule Change Award Travel options?

Hello All,

I tried to find someone else who posted about it but did not seem to find anything relating to UA policy.

I have a flight that I booked a couple months ago on AC using my united miles. It was EWR-Location1 on Thursday night and then Friday morning Location1-Location2 and then Monday Location2-EWR.

I received an email from them notifying me of a change to my schedule. I believe that AC decided to bump me from the flight because it appears sold out. My second leg is now leaving Location 1 on Saturday which makes the trip pointless.

As this is an award ticket what are my options if no more award space is available around that time? Tickets for flight to location2 from EWR are available to purchase (something I would like to avoid) via UA metal. Can an agent open award space and book me onto one of those flights due to this schedule change?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't even begin to help you until you post the exact routing.
EWR-?-?-EWR.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Indeed, why not provide the destinations?

UA will sometimes open award inventory on their own metal, but I don't think they ever try to get partners to open award inventory unless there are extreme circumstances.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, a UA agent can force open award space to help you.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, UAL can force open inventory on UA metal to reaccommodate you after an OAL schedule change on a UA award ticket. Generally no problem.

It's possible but weird that AC cancelled your booking on a flight because it was oversold. (Some DOT issues if they did and if it touches the US! You could be owed a lot of money.) More likely, AC is planning to stop operating the flight and they have removed passengers from it and zeroed out inventory (stopped selling it) in anticipation of withdrawing it from the schedule. Hard to say without knowing the flight details, of course.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: Platinum
This sucks. Looks like there's go to be only one flight in and out of our town (OTH) this summer. As a result, our June SFO-BOS leg changed from the 4 pm flight to the 9:45 red eye. I hate red eyes.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:13 am

I hope I am posting into the right thread: we (party of 4) were originally booked on UA1273 SFO-OGG departing 11am. Now we were rebooked on UA1275 departing 0930am.

I would like to remain on UA1273 with its new departure time 1255pm.

We were booked in P class and on UA1273 are only 3 seats left in P class - will they rebook us to UA1273 without any trouble?? Why did United rebook our party of 4 when the original flight number still exist? Is this usual?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.