Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by triplefives
But if even if there was a track on a 3-3-3 layout with 18 inches of seat width, it would still be OK on a long haul flight, IMO. 17 inches is going to be torture on that thing (actually 17.05 inches to be precise, according to the UA website! as if .05 inches would make a difference....)
It all comes down to the combination of inadequate width and tight spacing between the seats.

The pair of parallel seat tracks in the center section are designed for a 3-3-3 configuration, and the posts come down between the aisle and center seat, creating a much more natural separation for underseat stowage.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by narvik
This layout in Y really only is ABSOLUTELY terrible if and when the plane is full.
I don't know about your experience, but I'd say that at least 80%, possibly 90%, of my UA flights these days are full. Maybe I'm just flying to all the wrong places at all the wrong times.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milypan
I don't know about your experience, but I'd say that at least 80%, possibly 90%, of my UA flights these days are full. Maybe I'm just flying to all the wrong places at all the wrong times.
+1. I'd definitely count on high loads on the 77W routes, especially because they are replacing an aircraft with 8 more seats which is a lot bigger number than it sounds when dealing with empty seats.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I don't know about your experience, but I'd say that at least 80%, possibly 90%, of my UA flights these days are full.
Well, even at 90% occupancy there's 1 seat in each row empty. I am hoping those would be predominantly in E+ and in the middle 4 seats.

Maybe I'm just flying to all the wrong places at all the wrong times.
Or all the right places at the right time, really! It depends on how you look at your destination, I guess. A near-empty plane would be more indicative of travel to a wrong place at the wrong time, no?. ^

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah - basically the two pax in the middle two seats have to split their legs on either side of the stanchion.
Funny, I only ever knew the word stanchion to mean what is pictured below. Didn't know it had a much more general meaning (I looked it up). Although, in this particular instance the picture seems somewhat appropriate.
Attached Images  

Last edited by narvik; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:12 am Reason: added
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Well, even at 90% occupancy there's 1 seat in each row empty. I am hoping those would be predominantly in E+ and in the middle 4 seats.
That's very wishful thinking. The 90% figure milypan was referring to was that 90% of his/her flights are 100% full. I'd agree with that from my experiences too.

We are all in agreement that Y looks awful here. I love that staff memo telling FA's to just sort it all out. 4 bags...3 spaces...hmmm.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
That's very wishful thinking. The 90% figure milypan was referring to was that 90% of his/her flights are 100% full.
Yeah, at 100% full this will be unbearable for 13 hour flights in Y. I am dreading the day...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I wonder if a similar memo was released regarding the outboard seat units on the 787, which have the same issue.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by st530
The bigger issue is how misleading the seat map is, both in terms of seat placement/density (especially the non-window A and L seats that look like window seats on the seat map) and the width of the aisles. Somewhere either in this thread or another thread there is a "corrected" seat map that's a lot more accurate.
All A and L seats have windows. Odd rows (1,3,5,...) which sit parallel to walls have 2.5 in their pod; even rows (2,4,...) angled away from wall, have 1
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Seems the first 777-300 flew SFO IAH today.

Was it revenue service, or a ferry?

Looking forward to my first flight in March.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Seems the first 777-300 flew SFO IAH today.

Looking forward to my first flight in March.
Looks like it was a ferry. Seatmap is empty and the flight number starts with 2XXX

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...000Z/KSFO/KIAH

And in true United form the flight was delayed for maintenance!

Last edited by FL390; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS

Originally Posted by FL390
Looks like it was a ferry. Seatmap is empty and the flight number starts with 2XXX

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...000Z/KSFO/KIAH

D2 being a BIG clue - unless something has changed, only ERJs from Mexico arrive in Term D at IAH - except of course non US carriers. It's right next to UA hangar - separated by taxiway on east end between north and south terminals.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
Yikes!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:06 pm

Yeah, at 100% full this will be unbearable for 13 hour flights in Y. I am dreading the day...
If I fly the sucker in coach it will only be for a short domestic segment. I flew DXB-JFK on Emirates and took a walk back in coach and there is no way I will be on that 10 across plane in coach for a flight longer than 3 hours.

PS - Emirates business class service was the worst I had ever experienced on an international carrier. There was an error in catering and business class had very little food. They made United look great.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
D2 being a BIG clue - unless something has changed, only ERJs from Mexico arrive in Term D at IAH - except of course non US carriers. It's right next to UA hangar - separated by taxiway on east end between north and south terminals.
UA puts flights into D all the time. Been there on mainline domestic.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:26 am

If I wasn't in SFO, I would seriously consider switching to Delta for international flights for its long-haul fleet-wide 18" seats in economy.

The 747 on SFO-HKG/PEK was bad enough. I don't think I can stand a seat 1" narrower than the 747 for 10+ hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.