Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy-Up UA MileagePlus Elite Status Promotion - Jan/Feb 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy-Up UA MileagePlus Elite Status Promotion - Jan/Feb 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Wow, that may throw a wrench in the works of all those arguing that it is so clear that you are buying just status and not instruments. If there are so many of us confused, some UA agents confused, then it is not so clear I guess. Also, comparing it to MM holders or other ways of acquiring 1K is not quite appropriate because we are not talking about buying 1K outright. The point is that most of those offered the buy-up have already flown most of the miles and need just a few to get to 1K.

Originally Posted by FrequentFryer
Not arguing any of that.

"when you reach 100K PQMs".

Well. Then this is benefit then of *EVERY* premier level including Silver. Why did UNITED not choose to identify this as a benefit of "buying up" from SILVER TO GOLD? (Such a "benefit" applies to SILVER MP members too. Why then not advertise this benefit on THOSE buy-up promos? ie if SILVER member is lucky enough to fly 100,000 miles during April of 2015 - then member gets 6 GPU - and 1K status.)

In any case - I asked UNITED MP about GPU's on the buy-up.

This is the email response I got back - and take it with a grain of salt (i.e. I will follow up here after 10-14 days - my company reimbursed me for the buy-up to 1K - so I took advantage).

"XXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. FrequentFryer:

We’re always glad to hear from Premier 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

The six Global Premier Upgrades will be added to your account within 10-14 days after date of purchase.

Regards,

C.
MileagePlus® Service Center

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future. For MileagePlus program information, please visit www.mileageplus.com.

Original Message Follows:

------------------------
Submitted: 2/10/2015 10:08:30 AM

Remote Host: XX.XXX.XXX.XXX
User Agent: Firefox
Signed In: Yes

Last edited by flyersky1; Feb 11, 2015 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by flyersky1
Wow, that may throw the wrench in the works of all those arguing that it is so clear that you are buying just status and not instruments. If there are so many of us confused, some UA agents confused, then it is not so clear I guess. Also, comparing it to MM holders or other ways of acquiring 1K is not quite appropriate because we are not talking about buying 1K outright. The point is that most of those offered the buy-up have already flown most of the miles and need just a few to get to 1K.
I will see how this plays out. And I will report back.

In any case - I have an email from a UNITED MP representative confirming that six GPU will be deposited to my MP account within 10-14 days of purchasing this "buy-up" from PLATINUM to 1K. I am now sure - that I will get the 6 GPU. ;-)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by Lawnboy
15 years straight of 1K or Gold.

Total PQM balance at the end of 2014: 40,915
Total PQS balance at the end of 2014: 20.5
Total PQD balance at the end of 2014: $1,900.00
Qualified level for 2015: Member

Sliver for $599, a $1 discount.

Bye, bye UA. I won't miss ya.
How are you not a 1MM after 15 years of Gold and 1K?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CashN
How are you not a 1MM after 15 years of Gold and 1K?
lots of non-UA metal flying? or mostly Gold/Prem Ex ? or lots of paid premium cabin?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
So - those who achieved 1K status thru matches and challenges got the GPUS? Sorry - the answer is NO and NO. You obviously don't understand what the deal is. 1K does not get you instruments. How you get to 1K matters immensely. Fly 100K and you get the instruments. Buy the status (or challenge to it or match to it) and you don't - UA says so. At the end of the day, UA is telling you what you get for the money. Take it or leave it - your choice.
My company paid the $3100 offer to buy-up my 2015 status from Platinum to 1K - and the six GPU's and two RU's were indeed deposited to my account - a few days after I made the purchase.

For the record - I only flew about 89K EQM in 2014.

(And for the record - on a flight from ORD to MSP this morning - there were 51 pax on the list eligible to upgrade.)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
My company paid the $3100 offer to buy-up my 2015 status from Platinum to 1K - and the six GPU's and two RU's were indeed deposited to my account - a few days after I made the purchase.

For the record - I only flew about 89K EQM in 2014.

(And for the record - on a flight from ORD to MSP this morning - there were 51 pax on the list eligible to upgrade.)
Assuming you fly internationally enough to use those GPU coupons, that's actually a good deal. ~$500 each for upgrades to BF - well worth it! At least TATL, you can generally find R space to use them, except in the summer/early autumn.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by StingWest
Assuming you fly internationally enough to use those GPU coupons, that's actually a good deal. ~$500 each for upgrades to BF - well worth it! At least TATL, you can generally find R space to use them, except in the summer/early autumn.
Yes - that was the line of thinking that I pitched to corporate accounting get approval for the expenditure. And yes - I fly enough INTL to make it worth it - assuming I can actually use the GPU's.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes - that was the line of thinking that I pitched to corporate accounting get approval for the expenditure. And yes - I fly enough INTL to make it worth it - assuming I can actually use the GPU's.
It just depends on the route. Good luck with it.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance (Gold), HHonors (Diamond), Emerald Club (Exec Elite), SPG Plat, Clubcarlson Gold
Not very familiar with this buy-up thing.

United is offering to give me 2015 platinum for $2049. I'm currently a gold for 2015.

Worth it?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by f.cerberus
Not very familiar with this buy-up thing.

United is offering to give me 2015 platinum for $2049. I'm currently a gold for 2015.

Worth it?
No.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hertz PC, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum, occasionally AS, LM, BA/Avios, Bonvoy.
Buy up to MP Gold: $2299

I finished 2014 on c36K miles: silver was my 'target' and it was circumstance rather than plan that I went a fair way over this. Over the weekend I received an email from United with two offers:

1) Buy up to gold: $2299
2) Buy up to gold plus 5,000 EQMs for 2015: $2999

I won't be taking advantage of either as if I really wanted I'm sure I could have found 14,000 EQMs for less than half the cost without really trying. But in this era of supposedly trying to think out the ranks of elites I thought this was an interesting approach.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:42 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
What is the expiration date for the buy up offer?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hertz PC, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum, occasionally AS, LM, BA/Avios, Bonvoy.
Offer good to February 28, 2015.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:58 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
That is the expiration date for UA's previous buy up offer
I guess they did not have enough people buy up, so now they are dipping down to persons who were 14,000 miles short. For your offer, that is 16.4 cents/mile for Gold and 15.8 cents per mile for Gold and 5,000 miles.

Just curious, were you short on PQDs also, or were you exempt?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:00 am

Exempt from PQDs, UK address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.