Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD meltdown Jan 9, 2015 (gate availability)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD meltdown Jan 9, 2015 (gate availability)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:49 pm

I think after cancelling a ton of ORD-DFW flights one day American pulled a 767 that came in from LHR (it was supposed to RON at ORD) to shuttle all those people down to DFW later on in the day. They do have 777's that come in from China and Japan that could be used as well, ferry them back to ORD in time for the next day departure back to Japan or China.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The NBC story linked by Jose in post #8 claims that the problem is with the underground fuel hydrant system and that AA got around the problem by using old-fashioned fuel trucks to deliver fuel to each plane.

Which I'm 99% certain is what pmUA used to do as well to keep the system moving as I've sat in plenty of UA planes at ORD between Dec and March with a tanker type fuel truck out the window that's plugged into the wing followed by a good thorough and prompt de-icing in truly atrocious winter weather conditions at ORD.

this week has been inconvenient, but far from atrocious.

I can see the issue now if the mainline tanker trucks where scrapped for 100% reliance on the ground system to cut costs.

But as you point out AA has their tanker trucks (i.e., added expense) still around for these types of contingencies.

O well best of luck to all those stranded at ORD overnight. Hopefully there are hotels available vs the cots they put out.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE

The off topic PMUA/PMCO comments and personal attacks are not welcome here and all subsequent posts of that nature will be deleted

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by Alex Jevdic
I think after cancelling a ton of ORD-DFW flights one day American pulled a 767 that came in from LHR (it was supposed to RON at ORD) to shuttle all those people down to DFW later on in the day. They do have 777's that come in from China and Japan that could be used as well, ferry them back to ORD in time for the next day departure back to Japan or China.
yep and pm UA used to do this too with all the widebodies in their system (previously domestic and international) running through ORD.

unfortunately with the scheduling for international that they can't even run, let alone keep a functioning widebody fleet in working order (see international cancel thread), there's no slack in the overburdened COua schedule to take an O/N 747, 767 or 777 and redirect it to ferry people to Denver or a major east coast city to get them on their way which only compounds the IRROP recovery problem that has always been the achillees heel of CO and now COua vs AA which still has these types of contingency/recovery plans.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Alex Jevdic
No ORD-DFW cancellations today, but yes they did use N385AM, headed to Hawaii next.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
I was on one of the aircraft yesterday (01/08) in the evening. We waited for 1 hour till the previous plane gets deiced and only then our plane could get to the gate. We boarded, and we were told that the captain is getting from another stranded flight. When the captain arrived, he said that we are waiting for fuel trucks. Then we started waiting for deicing. Then it was announced that the line for take off is quite long and we need to wait in it, too... A night of waiting. We arrived 4 hours later than we were supposed to.

Today in the evening a friend was waiting for gate access or tow truck (he was not sure) for 30 minutes. Not 2 hours, but still.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
ORD was a mess then. I came in on 1/8 where we sat for almost 2 hours waiting for a gate, then waiting for a plane to be de-iced so we could get to the gate. Normally about 2 hours on the plane turned into a 6 hour ride of joy with a delay on the runway in CLT as well.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
will be interesting to see if any heads roll with this round. This has happened before and a shakeup occurred, even with Alex Marren being pushed out the door. Wonder what this will do to the ORD ops team and anyone in network planning.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:58 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...288118171.html The story is about Eagle/Envoy, but goes to point.

Oops, sorry didn't realize it was just an update to the story linked last night in post 8...same link.

Last edited by fastair; Jan 10, 2015 at 9:15 am Reason: See it was already posted
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kenn0223
What?!? The management and availability of gates at ORD is ENTIRELY within UA's control. They don't control how the planes move around of the taxiways but they certainly are in control of how many gates are available. IMHO a tonight's problems are 100% UA's fault.
If planes aren't taking off because of weather they lose that control. They end up with more planes on the ground than gates available.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If planes aren't taking off because of weather they lose that control. They end up with more planes on the ground than gates available.
then you start doing mass cancellations and take those planes off the gate and bring those live flights in or you use T5.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CALMSP
then you start doing mass cancellations and take those planes off the gate and bring those live flights in or you use T5.
And when ask for pushback and ground control says "no"?

When there is a severe weather event bad things happen. Quit blaming the airline.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
And when ask for pushback and ground control says "no"?

When there is a severe weather event bad things happen. Quit blaming the airline.
When you push back at ORD you are talking to ramp control which is staffed by United employees not ground control. Every ground stop ground delay message that has come out has stated airline induced and coded as airline responsibility.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:18 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I worked in T5 yesterday. There weren't free gates there either. See AA, UA, LH, NH, and another couple carriers that use AA gates for dptrs taxi their planes over to the domestic terminals after deplaning and cleaning. Without gates in T1 and T3, planes sit at T5 waiting for their main terminal gates to open up.

Rarely, but it does happen, a T5 gate is used for a return to the blocks or a domestic diversion, but gate space in T5 is just as scarce if not more so than most mainline domestic gates.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not a good week for UA and ORD. I was delayed 7 hours on Wed with FOUR broken airplanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.