Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP cards 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming years desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Doesn't work for me either, and customer service is VERY confused. They see NO notes on the card that it will change to a Visa.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just got a product change notice, with a new card number. The last 4 work on the United web pages for the promo, but they say:
We’re sorry – it appears you’ve attempted to register with a United MileagePlus Credit Card number that is not eligible. IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status is only available to United ClubSM Infinite Cardmembers.
It appears my card is now in some kinda limbo. Did anyone else get a product change notice electronically with the new rate and card details?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
The Avis/Budget status email came through today. https://avisstatus.mileageplus.com/
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
The Avis/Budget status email came through today. https://avisstatus.mileageplus.com/
same here. Now to see if it works
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
same here. Now to see if it works
sviluppo.it worked! Now President Club!
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
More discussion on Avis status match in United and Avis ink new partnership President's Club offered to Plat or higher and PresPlus/Club/Infinite Chase credit card holders
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but TPG has an article about Chase DoorDash partnership extension, so I gave it a try by adding my PPMC as a payment type in the DoorDash app and it came back with an offer of one year free DashPass.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
So do we know longer get the Hertz status now?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by njxbean
So do we know longer get the Hertz status now?
if you already have the Hertz status it should be good until 1/2023. But after that, no, it is back to Avis.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by trm2
if you already have the Hertz status it should be good until 1/2023. But after that, no, it is back to Avis.
im actually fine with that. hertz is often too expensive and my company makes me use someone else. But i do like that they allow me to pick almost anything on the lot. Cant recall if Avis does that now.

Side note. National will status match you pretty easy if you send them the hertz status.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by njxbean
Side note. National will status match you pretty easy if you send them the hertz status.
Thanks for the tip. What level will they match to?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:30 am

Thanks for the tip. What level will they match to?

Executive Elite

Say Vandelay and tex1721 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
I was from the Continental side of the family. I had the Chase PP MC since its inception and when it first came out, I thought the benefits were very enticing. In recent years, when pretty much all of the benefits had been stripped away (starting when they added an expiration date to newly earned miles many years ago), I started looking for alternatives. When the pandemic happened and UA offered the new earnings from the card to count towards 1K, but not the prior flex PQP's and had the special promotion to earn $30 per month Travel Club credit through 2021 (I earned $240), I figured I would wait it out until 2022. I now found out I was pre-approved to make an instant change to the new United Visa Club Card which offered significantly more points for almost any type of purchase and 4 miles for UA purchases and 2 miles for dining and other travel in addition to many other benefits. I was told that I could apply for this other card and be eligible for the points bonus, but since I have a number of immediate business trips it was worth more to me to get the card immediately for use and Chase transferred everything to this new card number (pending charges, credit limit, etc.) Oddly, this new card works on tap and pay in more places internationally as a Visa than my PP MC did when it always prompted me to sign. Apparently VISA allows it in most places (I seem to have it rejected at fast food places outside of the US). Also, it was disappointing that the PP MC never worked as an eligible card for MileagePlus cardholder special promotions or ways to use mileage. I saw that with the new Visa card from Chase, I can still convert miles into a cast statement credit, but the redemption value is not the best use for the miles this way.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:17 pm

Can someone verify if the confusing rules below are true for 2022 qualification year for status through Jan 2023

1. You can use your flex pqp or a combo of card earned pqp and flex pqp up to 10,000 points to earn platinum - but must fly 4 paid segments to qualify
2. You can use 10,000 card earned pqps and then you have to either fly 36 paid segments and spend $3,500 or spend $5,000 to reach 1K - but must fly 4 paid segments to qualify
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by be001
Can someone verify if the confusing rules below are true for 2022 qualification year for status through Jan 2023

1. You can use your flex pqp or a combo of card earned pqp and flex pqp up to 10,000 points to earn platinum - but must fly 4 paid segments to qualify
2. You can use 10,000 card earned pqps and then you have to either fly 36 paid segments and spend $3,500 or spend $5,000 to reach 1K - but must fly 4 paid segments to qualify
So, you need 4 paid UA or UAX segments for any UA status.

Also, you can use Flex PQP to reach Platinum, but not 1K.
To Qualify for 1K, you can use PQPs from the credit card, but NOT the flex PQP, just the new ones you earn.
Say Vandelay and 8MiHi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.