Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Has anyone had FlexPQMs post for September? Usually mine post about 1-2 weeks after statement closing but it's been about 3 weeks now.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by kyte
Has anyone had FlexPQMs post for September? Usually mine post about 1-2 weeks after statement closing but it's been about 3 weeks now.
Mine just posted today, a bit later than usual.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My Sept hasn't yet posted, but I have a later in the month statement date. I have been tracking the number of days it takes for FPQMs to post since 2011 and it has been between 4 and 21 (during 2012 IT merger madness) days for me. The average is 10 and overall the trend is faster.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by Phillies
Does the Presidential Plus card still offer the Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum ? Hyatt told me they no longer partner with that credit card. So I'm going to have to pay an extra $50 a year now and lose a benefit ?
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I no longer see it on the benefits list. However, lowest level Hyatt status is pretty much worthless, so I don't think it's that great of a loss.
I think it is still a benefit. I recently received a new Hyatt card with Platinum level status on it, and I haven't stayed at a Hyatt since 2012. But although it is nice and it is free, Hyatt Platinum really isn't much of a benefit compared to other hotel chains status levels.

Also, I got charged the $450. Darn. Still keeping the card, though...

Last edited by GSBEWR; Oct 3, 2017 at 6:30 am
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
I recently received a new Hyatt card with Platinum level status on it, and I haven't stayed at a Hyatt since 2012. But although it is nice and it is free, Hyatt Platinum really isn't much of a benefit compared to other hotel chains status levels.
I thought they changed the levels to Discoverist, Explorist and Globalist (possibly the worse-named elite levels in the industry). I received a Discoverist card, which is basically akin to Silver at other hotel chains and offers very little benefit. I used my Hyatt when it was Platinum to match over at Hilton (Diamond!) and haven't looked back.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Think it's time after many years to cancel the card. I make 1K every year so the FEQMs are of no help. Will make 1MM soon so my wife will inherit my status. I rarely rent cars from Hertz or any cars at all and have Hyatt status from my Hyatt cc. The discount on the club membership is nice but I'd rather offload one of my six credit cards at this point. I assume I get to keep my club membership for the entire one year term right? Anything else I should consider before cancelling? Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:44 am
Formerly known as mmihalik

Other points to consider

Rather than cancel, don't renew, as cancel is effective immediately. Let it run to just before the expiration date.

That said, consider alternate reasons to keep it for certain cases like me:

- I no longer travel for business, only leisure travel, so harder to rack up the miles. I'm 1MM, so permanent Gold, but travel enough that the FPQM helps get to Platinum if I'm short. This year, leisure travel got me to Platinum easily mileage-wise, and almost to 1K. No way to reach the spend requirement for 1K though, and the spend for Platinum is waived.
- the FPQM miles bank helped a lot in past years
- Platinum has a few more benefits than Gold: 3-day confirmations for complimentary upgrades and higher priority. Useful. Complimentary upgrades on award tickets, and wider availability of upgrades
- card has comprehensive travel insurance benefits. See Ts&Cs. I was surprised!
- we really, really like International Marriott properties. We saved hundreds of dollars on meals and drinks during our 2-month RTW adventure with our Gold Elite status we got with Platinum, so the FPQM makes sure we get there most years. Also helps to fly Business Class, earning 2xPQM with most partners.

Remember, enrollment is no longer possible for the PresPlus card. Until a better card comes along, I'm keeping mine.

Each person considering canceling the card should review the benefits to see what is useful or not.

---
M2 - S7 Edge
8MiHi likes this.

Last edited by M2inOR; Nov 24, 2017 at 10:52 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
All very good points, thanks so much!

Originally Posted by M2inOR
Rather than cancel, don't renew, as cancel is effective immediately. Let it run to just before the expiration date.

That said, consider alternate reasons to keep it for certain cases like me:

- I no longer travel for business, only leisure travel, so harder to rack up the miles. I'm 1MM, so permanent Gold, but travel enough that the FPQM helps get to Platinum if I'm short. This year, leisure travel got me to Platinum easily mileage-wise, and almost to 1K. No way to reach the spend requirement for 1K though, and the spend for Platinum is waived.
- the FPQM miles bank helped a lot in past years
- Platinum has a few more benefits than Gold: 3-day confirmations for complimentary upgrades and higher priority. Useful. Complimentary upgrades on award tickets, and wider availability of upgrades
- card has comprehensive travel insurance benefits. See Ts&Cs. I was surprised!
- we really, really like International Marriott properties. We saved hundreds of dollars on meals and drinks during our 2-month RTW adventure with our Gold Elite status we got with Platinum, so the FPQM makes sure we get there most years. Also helps to fly Business Class, earning 2xPQM with most partners.

Remember, enrollment is no longer possible for the PresPlus card. Until a better card comes along, I'm keeping mine.

Each person considering canceling the card should review the benefits to see what is useful or not.

---
M2 - S7 Edge
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by M2inOR
Just to clarify, you only need UA Gold status for RewardsPlus to grant you Marriott Gold status, so no need to be UA Platinum for that benefit.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Just to clarify, you only need UA Gold status for RewardsPlus to grant you Marriott Gold status, so no need to be UA Platinum for that benefit.
Yes, here's the link

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...h.html?lang=en
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:58 am

just got charged my renewal fee for $375
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by dchoe
just got charged my renewal fee for $375
For what it is worth, my $100 renewal appeared on schedule.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For what it is worth, my $100 renewal appeared on schedule.
Ditto.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: One or two :)
I called Chase Benefits for an updated guide to benefits brochure. It has not been updated since 11/01/13 - however, below is a link just in case anybody needs a copy if they have lost their original.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedME2
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Anyone else having a fraud issue with their PPlus card? My card numbers just got
stolen and used for fraud in Mexico for the 3rd time
in the last month. Per Chase, they’re having a problem with people just randomly trying cards using the first 6 digits of the card number (which don’t change when reissued) until they find one that works. It’s all been small dollar amounts - all less than $10, so I’m glad I’ve caught it. We’ve now blocked all foreign transactions and ratcheted up scrutiny of US based ones. Pain in the neck for a card I use for international travel.

Anyone else in the 5466 xxxx xxxx xxxx card range having problems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.