Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by entropy
I'm looking to find a good window to convert into the Club... I do spend 50+k a month on that card; I have > 150k IFPQM stored up, I'm going to make sure they "go in" properly on Jan 1 and then its club card time. 300k a year is worth more than the delta between plat and gold.
Depends how you're able to use your miles regularly.

I don't have company reimbursements so my mileage is my money.

I calculated that you will only need to spend 375K annually to reach your 75K FPQM if you spend $0 w/ UA a year (like me).

I've seen airfares pretty cheap lately and a lot of times in the lower 300s.

Based on my math, it's worth buying a plane ticket if it's $375 or less as compared to using 25k Miles (saver). AE Fidelity can get you unlimited 2% cash back. But YMMV based on your status on getting those mileage bonus's.

50k a month is about 600k a year. If I were you, I'd spend 375k on the PP card and put your other spendings on the AE Fidelity that has no Annual fee and no cap.
If you happen to spend 30k-50k a year on office supplies than get the chase ink card.
Freedom is useless w/ a $1500 cap.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by joelfreak
Chase executives have told me, and now put in writing that this reduction does not exist. Does anyone know where it is/was documented?
It's documented on my bill when I pay my annual fee. It most certainly does exist, but it's not a well known program. It never was well knwn. Internally I believe it's maintained as a separate product so given the plethora of credit card products at Chase and the fact that Chase isn't taking new applications for the PP card it might be hard for them to find.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have the card, and a membership to the club via another method. They claim that there is no fee discount for not being or taking the membership. In other words, they claim your discount doesn't exist.

Reid

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It's documented on my bill when I pay my annual fee. It most certainly does exist, but it's not a well known program. It never was well knwn. Internally I believe it's maintained as a separate product so given the plethora of credit card products at Chase and the fact that Chase isn't taking new applications for the PP card it might be hard for them to find.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
I have the card, and a membership to the club via another method. They claim that there is no fee discount for not being or taking the membership. In other words, they claim your discount doesn't exist.

Reid
Are you a lifetime club member? This discount was actually a different offering of the PP card that was made specifically for lifetime club members. If you had club membership via anther method (ie you are NOT a lifetime member) this offering was not available.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Chase executives have told me, and now put in writing that this reduction does not exist. Does anyone know where it is/was documented?
I had a lifetime membership the second time I got the card. I called and got the $100 a year fee card. Since UA no longer offers lifetime memberships and Chase no longer offers the card, it might be difficult to get the reduction. It's been several years since a lifetime membership was offered, so I'm not sure why anyone would have waited so long to try for a reduction in the annual fee.

I'm on the verge of 1MM, so I'm not sure whether I'll try to keep Plt or 1K when that happens. (I view it as my get out of jail free card) and I'm going to start burning miles. So I'm trying to decide whether to keep the card or not. It offers $10k in trip cancellation as well as primary car rental coverage which I find valuable. (I think the Sapphire Preferred just upped their coverages to match, but I'm not sure.) The waiver of spend for Plt is a really nice benefit especially as UA keeps upping the EQD requirements.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by manneca
. . .

It's been several years since a lifetime membership was offered, so I'm not sure why anyone would have waited so long to try for a reduction in the annual fee.

. . .
I'm not sure OP has a purchased lifetime membership since lifetime memberships have been discussed yet OP states (emphasis added)

Reid
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by controller1
I'm not sure OP has a purchased lifetime membership since lifetime memberships have been discussed yet OP states (emphasis added)
I have 2 cards (Pd and PP) which BOTH provide UC access. It is my understanding that a member cannot have 2 memberships, although I am willing to attempt to have them. I have asked that as I have 2 memberships being paid for by me being a member of a Chase card, that Chase waive part of the AF of the PP card as they have for others that are/were members by another method.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 2 cards (Pd and PP) which BOTH provide UC access. It is my understanding that a member cannot have 2 memberships, although I am willing to attempt to have them. I have asked that as I have 2 memberships being paid for by me being a member of a Chase card, that Chase waive part of the AF of the PP card as they have for others that are/were members by another method.
I've asked about this so I can have the Club Card vs. the PP card. No dice. I'm told there are not enough lifetime members to make that attractive or possible. The special lifetime rate is a separate product that requires them setting it up in their system. There are also new banking regulations to take into account and they can't offer different things to different people ad-hoc. I don't think you'll be successful. If you are, please let us knw.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Dec 16, 2014 at 8:23 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:33 am

I've asked about this so I can have the Club Card vs. the PP card. No dice. I'm told there are not enough lifetime members to make that attractive or possible. The special lifetime rate is a separate product that requires them setting it up in their system. There are also new banking regulations to take into account and they can't offer different things to different people ad-hoc. I don't think you'll be successful. If you are, please let us knw.
My argument to them is that both products are advertised as providing United Club access. I pay for both products. If they cannot provide the services that I pay for, something should either be discounted, or offered in kind. I offered to have them buy a membership for my AU, which I thought was a fair compromise, as he holds a card on my account as well, but I was told that was impossible. I offered a point value in return for my annual fee payment, but that was refused. It seems they want to be able to sell a service knowing that they cannot deliver it, and not have a replacement. I am not telling Chase I don't want 2 memberships, its their vendor (United) that is saying I can't have them. Let them purchase 2 memberships in my name, and let United try to figure out what to do with the situation presented.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My argument to them is that both products are advertised as providing United Club access. I pay for both products. If they cannot provide the services that I pay for, something should either be discounted, or offered in kind. I offered to have them buy a membership for my AU, which I thought was a fair compromise, as he holds a card on my account as well, but I was told that was impossible. I offered a point value in return for my annual fee payment, but that was refused. It seems they want to be able to sell a service knowing that they cannot deliver it, and not have a replacement. I am not telling Chase I don't want 2 memberships, its their vendor (United) that is saying I can't have them. Let them purchase 2 memberships in my name, and let United try to figure out what to do with the situation presented.
That was pretty much my argument in trying to get the Club Card for something less than the $395 price that it is offered at. Why should I have to buy my club membership again? I'd much rather have 1.5 RDM/$ than inflexible "Flex" PQM that I as a MM have almost zero use fr. Once I hit 2MM I'll truly have zero use for them. So far I, too, have been unsuccessful.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Has anyone had any luck finding a different way to use FlexPQM's? I have too many that are going to be expiring in the next few months.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Has anyone had any luck finding a different way to use FlexPQM's? I have too many that are going to be expiring in the next few months.
In other words, they are INflexible

As long as I aim for 1K I've got zer use for mine. Being a MM they are only ever useful if I want to get from Gold to Platinum in a year when I fly fewer than 75k miles. I'd love to be able to give them to one of my kids.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
When are the first wave of FPQM's set to expire? March of 2015? I really wish there was some online way to see how much/when these things expire.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:10 am
RNE

There are also new banking regulations to take into account and they can't offer different things to different people ad-hoc.
Recently, during my first call to Chase asking for a retention bonus for my PP card ($47k spend), the rep cited that new regulation as a reason not to grant my request. However, during my second and third calls, it was not mentioned. Indeed, I was finally granted said bonus on the third try.
  1. So is this a regulation or not so much?
  2. Rewarding customers for high spend is hardly ad hoc, is it?
You caught even me by surprise with this! How time flies.

Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) will have an expiration date. Flex EQMs earned after January 1, 2012 will expire 39 months after they are deposited. Specifically, Flex EQMs earned beginning after this date can be used at any time during the calendar year in which they were earned, plus three additional calendar years, and will then expire if not redeemed. Flex EQMs earned prior to January 1, 2012, will continue to have no expiration date.
For those of you who have the PP card but don't need the FPQMs, you can always keep the card for the Club membership and the PQD waiver, while putting your spend on another card.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Recently, during my first call to Chase asking for a retention bonus for my PP card ($47k spend), the rep cited that new regulation as a reason not to grant my request. However, during my second and third calls, it was not mentioned. Indeed, I was finally granted said bonus on the third try.
  1. So is this a regulation or not so much?
  2. Rewarding customers for high spend is hardly ad hoc, is it?
I don't think banking regulations prhibit a retetion bonus. They do seem to affect what banks can offer as a package of benefits that come along with a card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.