Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexykitten7
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tabTX
....What is the point of status (which you can see by my record is long term) if this kind of shenanigans happen behind the scenes?...
Seats are never guaranteed. Your expectation of status-derived benefits is probably inflated - guaranteed seat requests is not one. A small ETC (smaller than $300) is the best you can expect. What possible fare difference are you referring to? You didn't pay extra for E+ AND you voluntarily moved to less legroom. Why row 12? Other seats taken and it was the only window/aisle left? DId you go online and check available seats or do you expect UA just to move someone else to accomodate you?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 12, 2022 at 5:58 pm
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tabTX
... More confused as to the "why". Nothing above makes any sense, other than the "glitch" (and maybe the FAM - but why row 12?).
Looking at the variety of 739 seat maps rows 12 , 14 and 15 are very risky choices and actual configuration is not selected until 2-3 days prior to flight.

Not following why a fare difference applies?
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Seats are never guaranteed. ....
Especially on separate PNRs, but this can happen, less frequently, on a common PNR
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Yeah we got the odd seat change due to equipment change although same equipment. We went from 2A,2B to 4E,4F no big deal...life goes on.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by findark
FAMs fly in Y now, so I imagine an E+ aisle could be their territory.
Most of them are also right-handed, so D seats are safer than C seats (in a 3-3 configuration).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: Independent
Seat re-assignment fail

United swapped our plane for my flight tomorrow last night, and notified me of a new seat. All was well - I looked and it was acceptable. Until today when I moved to check in and they had moved from the 2nd E+ aisle to the window in front of the exit row without notifying me. Apparently reservations cannot actually move people around, so now I'm just stuck sitting upright while I try to work for four hours during the flight since the only other seats remaining are middles. I could gamble that some of those are on shared reservations hoping to get an extra spot, but that's not ideal. I'm ranting, but it happened to me twice in two weeks so here we are.

Has this been happening more to other people? Is there a way to avoid it? Really I have one plea to United: just tell us when you move our seats!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hkcj
…I have one plea to United: just tell us when you move our seats!
They did.

No, it hasn’t been happening more to other people.

Youll just have to keep checking seat map to see if a more acceptable seat opens as people move, change flights, or cancel.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
They did.

No, it hasn’t been happening more to other people.

Youll just have to keep checking seat map to see if a more acceptable seat opens as people move, change flights, or cancel.
No... they didn't. They moved me twice, they notified me once.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
I called GS, and they acknowledged an equipment swap with the same seat map (even just a tail swap) can cause passengers to be reassigned, even if all seats are sold/assigned. The very nice agent was apologetic and said there was no way that reservations could swap seats (not even a supervisor) once all seats were assigned, even in a case like this -- even for GS. She said the only thing to do was get to the gate early and ask the GA to call up the neighboring pax and ask for a swap. Alright, I was prepared to do this.
The fact that they can't do anything even for GS makes me feel a little better for some reason (we're all in the same boat I guess?). What I'm very amused by is airlines (JetBlue for me two weeks ago) claiming that severely negative seat re-assignments don't deserve any sort of apology or even token miles. (I'm not including my complaint above there - I'm thinking more of moving from the best E+ seat to the last-row-middle.) Considering that they charge for the privilege now that there are Basic Economy fares there's clearly a dollar value (no matter how small).
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Got moved from 9F to 9E. Agent says there wasn’t an aircraft change but can’t tell what happened. No open E+ window/aisle seats, so going to end up in a worse seat (unless a last minute seat opens up).
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bjdj94
Got moved from 9F to 9E. Agent says there wasn’t an aircraft change but can’t tell what happened. No open E+ window/aisle seats, so going to end up in a worse seat (unless a last minute seat opens up).
Were you ever able to unrandomize yourself?

David
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:28 pm

Just to add my data point. I've been flying United for a while (2MM) but this week, I've been moved from my selected seat (odd # row, window on a 787) to an aisle seat. Not a big deal since both flights were redeye but still an unusual experience for someone that's been flying United for 25 years. I did not get a notification of any equipment change or a seat change prior to checking in.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Just wondering if the seat maps are accurate. I called and was assured that our assigned (F/J) seats are in the system, but when I looked on the website or app, my wife's seats show as available. Even stranger, when she looks on her account, mine are available. It's puzzling since both of our seats show as unassigned under one condition or the other.

After 26 years, being separated for an 8 hour flight isn't the end of the world for us by any means, but it just looks weird on the seat map. Besides, if we have to be separated, I'm going to grab a window seat since I don't get the chance very often.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iplaybass
Just wondering if the seat maps are accurate. I called and was assured that our assigned (F/J) seats are in the system, but when I looked on the website or app, my wife's seats show as available. Even stranger, when she looks on her account, mine are available. It's puzzling since both of our seats show as unassigned under one condition or the other.

After 26 years, being separated for an 8 hour flight isn't the end of the world for us by any means, but it just looks weird on the seat map. Besides, if we have to be separated, I'm going to grab a window seat since I don't get the chance very often.
If you try a new booking for your flight and look at the seat map preview, what do you see for your seats?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by fumje
If you try a new booking for your flight and look at the seat map preview, what do you see for your seats?
I'm able to select her seats on two of the legs. I was told to ignore the seat map because the seats are on the reservation. We have separate reservations because of the strange path our FFC took from our original booking. What I don't want to have happen is to show up in August and find all the F/J seats are booked and one of us has to sit in the middle in E- on a 787.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iplaybass
I'm able to select her seats on two of the legs. I was told to ignore the seat map because the seats are on the reservation. We have separate reservations because of the strange path our FFC took from our original booking. What I don't want to have happen is to show up in August and find all the F/J seats are booked and one of us has to sit in the middle in E- on a 787.
I would be worried about the seats, then. Have you tried picking a different seat (completing the new assignment) and then picking the desired one again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.