Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
New one on me trying to SDC one segment

Had an interesting experience attempting a SDC on 1/3/2015. Was in the middle of a DEN-LHR trip (had LHR-LAX-DEN remaining) and called from the UK inside 24 hours to change the LAX-DEN flight from 7:45 pm to the 4 pm flight (booked in W, which was available). The agent immediately added the 4 pm flight to the record and then said that she had to call her supervisor to delete the original 7:45 pm flight.

After about 20 minutes she came back on and said that she was told that there is a new rule regarding married segments...that the entire flight had to be dumped and that she would then have to start over, which I was not willing to do having scored "R" on the LHR-LAX leg (no guarantee that "R" would be available if the reservation was canceled). I have changed the domestic segment only of an international itinerary several times in the last couple of years via SDC (calling in), so this was a new experience.

Anyone else run in to this??

Oh, and we went for standby on the 4 pm flight, jumped to the top of the list, cleared, and then got battlefield upgrades. Life was good. Being able to pull that type of thing off might be the best benefit of being 1K.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Another anecdote to share from October 2014. I was returning from DEL-SFO via EWR on United. I was UA Plat at the time w/ a lap infant (nothing like 18 hours in E+ w/ a kid on your knee).

In Newark, I made an SDC via United mobile app adding a stop in ORD instead of direct to SFO. I got off at ORD w/ the LI (to visit the grandparents), and tried to do another SDC for the next day to SFO for late morning but this time the mobile app wouldn't let me, so I called an agent and got it done for $0.

Tried the same thing the following day, SDC to the next day ORD-SFO, again the mobile app failed. I call in to an agent again and this time agent say "sorry, can't do it... whoever did it for you earlier made an error." Asked to speak to a supervisor, who came on the line and in a very unfriendly manner stated SDC with overnight layovers not permitted on INTL trips.

I eventually booked using standard award miles to get back home to SF the next day as cost was well over $500 o/w.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Please note corrections, above. Y instant upgrades no longer clear into JN. Also, PN does not track to P.

Finally, I question the separate listing of RN, that is an irrelevancy.
thanks for the info-many apologies but what is the difference netween PN and R?
I dont quite follow it...

it says PN up for elites
R for domsetic/first up except GS..

does PN only apply to GS?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
it says PN up for elites
R for domsetic/first up except GS..

does PN only apply to GS?
R is upgrade class for domestic (two class) F and BF. Except for GS, who clear into PN.

PN is upgrade class for all instant upgrades on CPU eligible routes (Y/B/M fare classes) and all GS upgrades to domestic F or BF.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gangtok slim
Another anecdote to share from October 2014. I was returning from DEL-SFO via EWR on United. I was UA Plat at the time w/ a lap infant (nothing like 18 hours in E+ w/ a kid on your knee).

In Newark, I made an SDC via United mobile app adding a stop in ORD instead of direct to SFO. I got off at ORD w/ the LI (to visit the grandparents), and tried to do another SDC for the next day to SFO for late morning but this time the mobile app wouldn't let me, so I called an agent and got it done for $0.

Tried the same thing the following day, SDC to the next day ORD-SFO, again the mobile app failed. I call in to an agent again and this time agent say "sorry, can't do it... whoever did it for you earlier made an error." Asked to speak to a supervisor, who came on the line and in a very unfriendly manner stated SDC with overnight layovers not permitted on INTL trips.
I haven't ever heard of this limitation and it isn't stated anywhere in the rules. I think the agent may have been making things up. Often the mobile app doesn't work for SDCs when combined with a complicated international itinerary.

I would have HUACA. I find it is a much better strategy to politely hang up on an agent and call again if they don't know what they are doing instead of involving a supervisor. If you get a supervisor involved, your record is almost certainly getting notes in it that the next agent will probably not overrule even if you are in the right.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I'm flying PIT-IAD-FRA-DEL in a couple days (IAD-FRA and FRA-DEL on LH) and just realized that my colleague booked me on a K fare. So, not only no E+, no chance of an upgrade, and no seat advance seat assignment, but also no miles. Ugh. I have to go to FRA as we are meeting others there and going on together. I would like to use SDC to change PIT-FRA; I don't care where I connect, and as of now, nearly all the flights are wide open in across the board through IAD, EWR or ORD, so I think it'll be work. I understand I have to wait until 24 hours before my flight and the flight I want to change to.

Question - can I pay to upfare at the same time to bump the FRA-DEL leg into a miles-earning fare class at the same time? Would that require a change fee?

Related question -if I am successful with the SDC and there is still R space available on the UA flight, can I put in for a miles+money upgrade, even though it's within 24 hours?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CrispyRice
... Question - can I pay to upfare at the same time to bump the FRA-DEL leg into a miles-earning fare class at the same time? Would that require a change fee? ...
Yes & yes

... Related question -if I am successful with the SDC and there is still R space available on the UA flight, can I put in for a miles+money upgrade, even though it's within 24 hours?
yes
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm flying PIT-IAD-FRA-DEL in a couple days (IAD-FRA and FRA-DEL on LH) and just realized that my colleague booked me on a K fare. So, not only no E+, no chance of an upgrade, and no seat advance seat assignment, but also no miles. Ugh. I have to go to FRA as we are meeting others there and going on together. I would like to use SDC to change PIT-FRA; I don't care where I connect, and as of now, nearly all the flights are wide open in across the board through IAD, EWR or ORD, so I think it'll be work. I understand I have to wait until 24 hours before my flight and the flight I want to change to.
Good luck with SDC on an itinerary with LH operated segments. That is very definitely against the rules. (Although it has been accomplished occasionally through extreme persistence.)

Also, if you want to upgrades using miles, there is no minimum fare requirement on UA. That's only for a GPU.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Amtrak
SDC > 24 hours?

From reading the other thread and experience it seems that people have had luck flying more then 24 hours earlier if:

1) there is a weather issue cancelling flights/IRROP and so UA just want to get people on their way.

2) some people have had luck with phone agents and counter agents that shrug their shoulders and allow a > 24 hour change (e.g., change to a flight 26 hours earlier than the ticketed flight).

A few questions:

A) does it help or hurt to have checked in?
B) does it hurt (it likely doesn't help) to have an upgrade applied?

I recall seeing that website was offering > 24 hour change flight options for no charge, but I guess that must have been during a weather incident although I can't specifically recall. It must have been a IRROP for the website to allow > 24 hour changes? Or perhaps I was imagining it. I think it was to fly into SFO just ahead of one of their recent monsoons.

Generally to try to get a > 24 hour SDC is it better to try

a) website
b) phone app
c) phone agent
d) counter agent

other tips and tricks?

In case it matters, specifically, I have a IAD to SFO on Friday evening and would like to change to one of the Thursday afternoon flts. Tempted to just show up at airport on Thursday afternoon with fingers crossed. Should at least make the 24hour Thursday night flight.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good luck with SDC on an itinerary with LH operated segments. That is very definitely against the rules. (Although it has been accomplished occasionally through extreme persistence.)
As an update, a weather waiver for IAD hit my flight perfectly. It was announced right before my 24 hour time frame. I had to call, but the agent had no trouble changing my LH IAD-FRA to UA ORD-FRA instead. My fare class was available, so no fees.

And, indeed, as WineCountry noted, I asked about the moving to a higher fare and I would have needed to pay the change fee on that. At least I managed to get one more leg on UA metal.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have an upcoming flight booked into A fare, AAA-BBB-CCC. However, the first segment AAA-BBB is single cabin equipment so books into Y fare. Can I SDC into a later flight that does have F cabin using A availability?

I am also curious how in general UA treats tickets that combine multiple fare class on a single ticket? What fare class rules?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Arrow Pushing trip two weeks back via SDC

I was scheduled to fly SAN-ORD yesterday and return on friday. Work requirement changed and I dont need to take this trip for 2 weeks. Instead of cancelling my itinerary, I used same day change to pick a flight the following day and so far very easily been pushing my outbound flights from sunday to monday to tuesday.

My question is what will happen when I hit the return portion of the trip. Will I have to push both the outbound and return segments? And if so, will my trip become a 0-1 day trip? Will at some point UA will come back and say enough is enough?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by samr
And if so, will my trip become a 0-1 day trip? Will at some point UA will come back and say enough is enough?
It might be. At that point it'll probably take a phone call to deal with SDC since you'll start pushing outbound beyond the return date.

Originally Posted by samr
Will at some point UA will come back and say enough is enough?
I don't recall SDC has a limit.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Just wanted to post my experience from my question above regarding flying from SAN on ticket originating in CLD.

In my experience at SAN, the UA rep was willing to put my on standby for SAN-LAX but I didnt want to play the standby game that day so I drove to CLD.

On the return trip at LAX, my CLD flight was leaving in 2 hours while there was a SAN flight leaving in one hour. I went to that gate and asked if the GA can put me on SAN flight and he said that he'll try and called my name in 10 min and gave me the BP to SAN.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by 787fan
I don't recall SDC has a limit.
This should be interesting on a couple counts.
1) At some point, unless you have a very high fare bucket, I bet you're going to hit inventory constraints and can't keep pushing forward. I'm curious how long before that happens.
2) If an agent gets involved and sees the history, will he or she freak out?

Please keep us updated...this should be entertaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.