Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pizzabox
Has anyone noticed SDC being more difficult T-24? At about T-30ish, all the fare classes were open down to N9 then zeroed out at about T-26. Then it generally stayed zeroed or Y1 until T-4.
If it only was Y1, then N couldn't have been more than that. And more likely, within 24 hours, wouldn't have been opened at all.

Sounds like there was a mass booking to that flight, maybe as a result of a cancellation of something else on that route same day. As for my experience, I have not noticed a reduction in fare classes just prior to the SDC window.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
JN
Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
couple of questions on SDC:

if i have a flight say LAX-SFO-ORD..
as i understand it,i can only push out the flight from sfo -ord to extend past
the 4 hr layover cut once i arrive in sfo-is that correct?
is it easy to do?

also is int bus,dom first award class RN?

thanks
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am considering a Standard (not Saver) Domestic First Class Award ticket. Can I SDC on these? If so, what fare bucket do these book in to??
If you are Plat, SDC is irrelevant. No change fee for awards. Change it whenever you like. For GS/1K/Plat, a standard F award is basically the same as a fully refundable F ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
couple of questions on SDC:

if i have a flight say LAX-SFO-ORD..
as i understand it,i can only push out the flight from sfo -ord to extend past
the 4 hr layover cut once i arrive in sfo-is that correct?
is it easy to do?

also is int bus,dom first award class RN?

thanks
To SDC you will need to check after T-24 for takeoff of the last segment you wish to change, so if that occurs while you are in the air, you can do it upon landing, or via the United app on a flight with wifi. The SDC options can change significantly for the better or worse over T-24 to T-1. Take the best one you are willing to change to and keep checking back for a different change.

upgrades are R or RN class.

Here is a list of award fare classes:
Saver Award Seats
O - Saver 3-cabin First Award
IN - Elite (Plat/1K/GS) Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
I - Non-Elite and Low Elite Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Non-Elite Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
FN - Standard 3-cabin First Award
JN - Elite/CC Standard Business or 2-cabin First Award
ZN - Non-Elite Standard Business or 2-cabin First Award (tracks to the Z bucket)
YN - Elite/CC Standard Coach Award
HN - Non-Elite Standard Coach Award (tracks to the H bucket)

Upgrade Awards
ON - C->F on 3-cabin aircraft
JN - Y-Up for Elites (tracks to the J bucket, i.e. last seat availability)
PN - B/M-Up for Elites (tracks to the P bucket); All GS upgrades Y->C (CPU, RPU, GPU, miles)
R - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F (except GS)
RN - This has recently been reported to be internal-use only, not elite upgrades. The reality of that report is not yet clear.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azzurro
T
Upgrade Awards
ON - C->F on 3-cabin aircraft
JN - Y-Up for Elites (tracks to the J bucket, i.e. last seat availability)
PN - Y/B/M-Up for Elites (tracks to the P bucket); All GS upgrades Y->C (CPU, RPU, GPU, miles)
R - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F (except GS)
RN - This has recently been reported to be internal-use only, not elite upgrades. The reality of that report is not yet clear.
Please note corrections, above. Y instant upgrades no longer clear into JN. Also, PN does not track to P.

Finally, I question the separate listing of RN, that is an irrelevancy.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Please note corrections, above. Y instant upgrades no longer clear into JN. Also, PN does not track to P.

Finally, I question the separate listing of RN, that is an irrelevancy.
Thanks Kacee for the update (appreciate your knowledge and attention to detail), will correct my (old) word doc.
As for RN, I have never witnessed R to be different from RN (this list was saved from a FT wiki a couple years ago)...

Last edited by azzurro; Jan 5, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:25 pm

Thanks Kacee for the update (appreciate your knowledge and attention to detail), will correct my (old) word doc.
As for RN, I have never witnessed R to be different from RN (this list was saved from a FT wiki a couple years ago)...
No problem.

I've never seen R differ from RN either, and upgrades pretty uniformly clear into R.

I'm not sure what it means to say that PN "tracks" to P, but to the extent it suggests that open P means open PN, that would not be correct.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
To SDC you will need to check after T-24 for takeoff of the last segment you wish to change, so if that occurs while you are in the air, you can do it upon landing, or via the United app on a flight with wifi. The SDC options can change significantly for the better or worse over T-24 to T-1. Take the best one you are willing to change to and keep checking back for a different change.
thanks-but i dont really follow the explanation..sorry if question wasnt clear
i tried previously to sdc a connecting flight,but was told could not extend the connection time more than 4hrs
i.e. LAX -SFO-ORD.
fly LAX to SFO but want to sdc the sfo-ord to a later time..
was told couldnt as transfer time in sfo would be more than 4hrs..
is this correct and is there a way round it?e.g.try to change after arrive in sfo?
thnaks
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks-but i dont really follow the explanation..sorry if question wasnt clear
i tried previously to sdc a connecting flight,but was told could not extend the connection time more than 4hrs
i.e. LAX -SFO-ORD.
fly LAX to SFO but want to sdc the sfo-ord to a later time..
was told couldnt as transfer time in sfo would be more than 4hrs..
is this correct and is there a way round it?e.g.try to change after arrive in sfo?
thnaks
I'm not as experienced as these pros are, though I'll give it a shot at answering. What you do is check the United app when you land in SFO. Try it in the air if you have WiFi on your flight. You may have options to push back the SFO-ORD segment--even into the next day. As you approach close to your original flight, inventory can open up in other classes. Your options might increase--then again it might decrease. It's SDC roulette

As far as the 4 hour connection time. Yeah yeah, true. That's what the agent says and that's the party line. Though it's definitely possible to SDC your next segment after you land. The app can let you do it if it's an option.

Finally, I'll add this. When your connection to the next city is tight, and you're in danger of missing your connection, United sometimes automatically rebooks you to a later flight. Checking your app, you see a red exclamation point and you'll find a confirmed seat on a later flight. You get some sob story about "we're sorry for the inconvenience". You get a "free pass" to manipulate your next flight. Well, that's not really SDC any more--that's IRROPS, though it's something to think about if you like playing the flight change game. Sometimes you WANT to (nearly) or (really) miss your connection so you can manipulate future flights. I don't know what your connection in SFO is like, though that's something to think about.

Last edited by Ruhr; Jan 5, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
SDC to Convoluted Routing

Is it possible to SDC from a simple routing like SFO-PVG to a more convoluted routing like SFO-EWR-PVG to get more miles?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Is it possible to SDC from a simple routing like SFO-PVG to a more convoluted routing like SFO-EWR-PVG to get more miles?
Sure, although has to be done over the phone and sometimes it takes some convincing an agent to let you. As long as the routing is valid for your fare, you should be able to switch to it.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Sure, although has to be done over the phone and sometimes it takes some convincing an agent to let you. As long as the routing is valid for your fare, you should be able to switch to it.
How do I know what the routing rules are?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:04 pm

From the wiki, it seems that it is a phone-only but wanted to double check.

If i have a PVG-SFO 016 ticketed (PVG-NRT-SFO) with PVG-NRT on UA-coded codeshare with NH, and NRT-SFO on UA metal, can I SDC switch to the PVG-SFO nonstop?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
From the wiki, it seems that it is a phone-only but wanted to double check.

If i have a PVG-SFO 016 ticketed (PVG-NRT-SFO) with PVG-NRT on UA-coded codeshare with NH, and NRT-SFO on UA metal, can I SDC switch to the PVG-SFO nonstop?
That's technically against the rules, but a "maybe" if you call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.