Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by deskover54
I've also found on a broken fare, if they are both the same booking code, you can easily change to a nonstop.
That's not a broken fare.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not a broken fare.
I think it can be, though it's probably fairly rare.

Still, there are very likely city pairs out there that don't have a fare filed between them, so the only way to build a ticket is to use an end-on-end combination. If the lowest fares for both parts of the combination have the same booking class, it would initially appear to be a through fare, even though it's not (and you'd have to go deeper and look at the fare bases or actual fare construction to notice it's not).

ITA can get pretty creative, too, and may be able to find an end-on-end fare combination that is lower than the cheapest through-fare allowing a particular routing that has availability. For example, perhaps the cheapest fare currently available for the LAX-EWR city pair is currently an N fare for $200. But perhaps UA is running a sale at IAH (ha, but just for the purposes of this) with a $75 N fare LAX-IAH and another $75 N fare IAH-EWR. ITA very well might locate those (assuming they allow end-on-end combinations) and string together a $150 fare with a break in IAH where both components are N.

I just threw something in ITA to see if it would price out, and sure enough:
Attached Images  
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal

Still, there are very likely city pairs out there that don't have a fare filed between them, so the only way to build a ticket is to use an end-on-end combination. If the lowest fares for both parts of the combination have the same booking class, it would initially appear to be a through fare, even though it's not (and you'd have to go deeper and look at the fare bases or actual fare construction to notice it's not).
Correct, and I have seen UA return flights that looked like a through fare but, in fact, were not. (I noticed because the fare classes didn't line up in expert mode, the way they do when UA is displaying a through fare). The cases that I've seen fell into two general buckets: domestic stopovers (> 4 hour transfer) and transit through a point not included in the routing rules on the through fare (e.g., AUS-DEN-BDL).

As you say, the only sure way to know what you're buying is to check the fare rules before purchase.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jackal
I don't disagree with you that it's possible, but in this specific circumstance it was obvious that deskover54's answer was wrong because he doesn't know what a broken fare is.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Premier Gold / Same Day Change Fee / UA Flight on ET Stock

Hello!

I'm about to reach premier gold so I have no experience with same day change fees waived.

I believe that this isn't allowed, but I wanted to check...

I will have a 4 leg flight, ticketed on Ethiopian (071 stock). The first 3 flights are on Ethiopian, and my 4th flight is a United flight. I will be crediting the miles to UA so my UA Gold number will be on the ticket.

This reservation leaves me with about a 6 hour layover at LAX on my way back to LAS. I'd love to change it to an earlier flight (not possible at the same price when booking), but since it's not on 016 stock, is it possible, and will the fee be waived?

Is this one of those "it depends on who you get" questions?

Thanks for your time and help!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vegascraig
I believe that this isn't allowed, but I wanted to check...

I will have a 4 leg flight, ticketed on Ethiopian (071 stock). The first 3 flights are on Ethiopian, and my 4th flight is a United flight. I will be crediting the miles to UA so my UA Gold number will be on the ticket.

This reservation leaves me with about a 6 hour layover at LAX on my way back to LAS. I'd love to change it to an earlier flight (not possible at the same price when booking), but since it's not on 016 stock, is it possible, and will the fee be waived?

Is this one of those "it depends on who you get" questions? ...
An airport agent might do this -- it is outside of the rules.

If agent declines doing a confirmed change due to the non-016 ticket, gate standby still should be possible.

Do this only if this is the last segment of the ticket -- no future segments.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
SDC / Premier Benefits Companion Question

Taking the wife & daughter (non status) on a trip this summer IAH-ORF. Just booked the outbound in XN class for all 3 of us. Our current flight is getting in just after midnight, so picking up the rental car and checking into the hotel that late is going to be a pain. I'm considering splitting off the reservation that day so I can SDC to an earlier flight and take care of the arrangements before they arrive. I figure it will be more likely to SDC one pax instead of all 3 of us.

We're going to the beach, so I'm also counting on my Platinum status extending to the family so they all get the max luggage allowance to transport our junk

Any best practice strategies on when to split the PNR to maximize retention of benefits? At 24 hour check in? At the ticket counter in the airport?

FWIW, we will all be getting to the airport at the same time so my wife won't have to deal with the agents on her own. We may only need 6 bags, so I can keep my PNR "luggage free" to make SDC/Standby easier.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
An airport agent might do this -- it is outside of the rules.

If agent declines doing a confirmed change due to the non-016 ticket, gate standby still should be possible.

Do this only if this is the last segment of the ticket -- no future segments.
I assume your port of entry into the US is LAX, and as such, that's the best time to ask anyways. You can also try it once you're within 24 hours of that flight. But to be safe, I'd do it while in the air XXX-LAX.

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr

Any best practice strategies on when to split the PNR to maximize retention of benefits? At 24 hour check in? At the ticket counter in the airport?

FWIW, we will all be getting to the airport at the same time so my wife won't have to deal with the agents on her own. We may only need 6 bags, so I can keep my PNR "luggage free" to make SDC/Standby easier.
Book one-ways, so that you preserve the same benefits/luggage on the way home.

Split off at check-in (it may have you do so anyways) - your wife and child should retain the luggage benefits and then you can SDC then.

But do your homework the day of check-in - you will see how many XN might be possible and switch over even before SDC. You can also waitlist now for the flight you all want.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2017 at 5:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by aacharya
Book one-ways, so that you preserve the same benefits/luggage on the way home.

Split off at check-in (it may have you do so anyways) - your wife and child should retain the luggage benefits and then you can SDC then.

But do your homework the day of check-in - you will see how many XN might be possible and switch over even before SDC. You can also waitlist now for the flight you all want.
Yep, definitely doing them as oneways. Helps with the travel bank also
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
I assume your port of entry into the US is LAX, and as such, that's the best time to ask anyways. You can also try it once you're within 24 hours of that flight. But to be safe, I'd do it while in the air XXX-LAX.
The app will not touch a non-016 ticket. Only an airport agent and then not always.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The app will not touch a non-016 ticket. Only an airport agent and then not always.
I have been given the option to SDC a non-016 ticket; I don't remember if I used the web or the app. Either way, it was a near-disaster; I was able to change the reservation, but, understandably, UA wasn't able to re-issue the ticket because it wasn't theirs.

I ended up getting my original flight back after a phone call, but if there hadn't been inventory on that flight, I could have made a real mess for myself.

Bottom line: don't try to SDC a non-016 ticket, even if it looks like the system will allow it. I agree with the advice to ask an agent at LAX.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I have been given the option to SDC a non-016 ticket; I don't remember if I used the web or the app. Either way, it was a near-disaster; I was able to change the reservation, but, understandably, UA wasn't able to re-issue the ticket because it wasn't theirs.

I ended up getting my original flight back after a phone call, but if there hadn't been inventory on that flight, I could have made a real mess for myself.

Bottom line: don't try to SDC a non-016 ticket, even if it looks like the system will allow it. I agree with the advice to ask an agent at LAX.
Assuming the routing doesn't change (which it wouldn't for LAX-LAS) and the date of departure stays the same, there is no need to reissue the ticket. UA just needs to sync the coupon with a new segment.

I don't foresee any issues doing it with an agent, but I also doubt there would be any problems if done through app/website. Even if the sync doesn't happen properly, the only consequence would be OLCI wouldn't work. An agent would resync it in a couple keystrokes.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Assuming the routing doesn't change (which it wouldn't for LAX-LAS) and the date of departure stays the same, there is no need to reissue the ticket. UA just needs to sync the coupon with a new segment.

I don't foresee any issues doing it with an agent, but I also doubt there would be any problems if done through app/website. Even if the sync doesn't happen properly, the only consequence would be OLCI wouldn't work. An agent would resync it in a couple keystrokes.
That's a good point; thinking back on it, I was adding a connection. I'm still not sure I'd try it until after I had boarded the last non-UA flight on the itinerary, though, on the off chance that UA marks the older segment as unconfirmed and thus causes some issues for the ticketing carrier. I may be being overcautious.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:46 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Had a great experience yesterday at EWR, flying home from MPX to BOS, once I landed in EWR I decided to visit my daughter in NYC for dinner and some shopping, so the agent in the United Club pushed out the EWR to BOS leg ~24 hours. Took less than 5 minutes and no charge. A quick call to Marriott and I had a free room, using points, then a $29.00 Uber car and I'm on 24th and Madison. Life is good.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SDC with award ticket?

Is the free SDC benefit supposed to be available with an award ticket? Looking through the older SDC threads, I see many anecdotes of semi-successful changes, but there is one report that SDC is only for normal purchased fares.

If a confirmed change is not allowed on, e.g. a saver (I) fare, but it is possible to standby for an earlier flight, what will the priority be on the standby list? Does (I) go ahead of all CPU requests? Before G/RPU? Or is it like non-rev standby (i.e. after all of those)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.