Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:22 pm

Less than pleasant experience at the gate, but when i got on the plane (SFO-BOS) the FA were empathetic and apologetic (for something they did not have any part of). The PBD (Glenfarcals on the rocks) service definitely helped reset the flight experience.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I can safely say I havet NOT had a PDB in at least 50 flights. And none of those include just water. The least amount of serviced offered was a tray of water, Oj, or Processo. Once offered that tray, I asked for something else, and it was no problem.
Wow, 50 in a row? I'm 2/2; I have a long way to go to catch up.

I have to say that I'm really impressed with UA in this regard. Even top international airlines are moving to limited PDB service (on JAL F (which I love) I was offered champagne, water, or juice. Asked for a beer and was told "after takeoff"). Kudos to UA for sticking with full bar.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I can safely say I havet NOT had a PDB in at least 50 flights. And none of those include just water. The least amount of serviced offered was a tray of water, Oj, or Processo. Once offered that tray, I asked for something else, and it was no problem.
Guessing you don't fly in F much if at all...

The tray offered and subsequent receiving of requested drink sounds a lot like PDB service in J btw...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:58 am

Surprised as well here. Just got off the puddle jumper EWR > LHR evening flight with dinner service. Was seated in Y and requested Champers with my UA drink voucher. My jaw dropped when I learned they weren't serving Champagne let alone the good stuff (read Krug and Dom). I'd be curious to learn if Krug and Dom as still on the Polaris J menu or if this has been one of the recent cut backs as I plan on flying them in January in J!

-James
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Had a flight LAX/DEN yesterday. 739, boarding was quick and a little crazy. I boarded first as GS. FA is trying to get somethings done before she quickly goes through the PDB orders and jackets. Gets to row 4 and starts collecting. I always sit in row 5 so I can recline a little early. Still holding my jacket. Aislemate tries to get her attention with no luck. Take off, and she starts again in row 1 with orders and drinks etc. Gets to us and kind of barked that she had already collected jackets when my aislemate asked if we could maybe get our drinks now as she may have been rushing earlier and missed us. He was actually nice about it. It took about an hour into the flight before I had my first cocktail. Given the hangover I was nursing, I really could have used it earlier. The service by her was almost comical. I am not even sure she knew she had a 5th row. Let alone that 3 of us in the row were GS. Pretty sure the guy across from me was going to write something. I just gave up early and chose not to expect anything better.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Was seated in Y and requested Champers with my UA drink voucher. My jaw dropped when I learned they weren't serving Champagne let alone the good stuff (read Krug and Dom). I'd be curious to learn if Krug and Dom as still on the Polaris J menu or if this has been one of the recent cut backs as I plan on flying them in January in J!

-James
Krug and Dom in Polaris??? Is today April 1?
iluv2fly and porciuscato like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 domestic F UA flights so far this year; 5 PDBs (yesterday I was offered a refill during a fairly lengthy boarding process). All full bar service.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Surprised as well here. Just got off the puddle jumper EWR > LHR evening flight with dinner service. Was seated in Y and requested Champers with my UA drink voucher. My jaw dropped when I learned they weren't serving Champagne let alone the good stuff (read Krug and Dom). I'd be curious to learn if Krug and Dom as still on the Polaris J menu or if this has been one of the recent cut backs as I plan on flying them in January in J!

-James
Polaris has never touched Krug or Dom Perignon, as far as I am aware anyway. The upgrade with Polaris was that it always offers some proper (contrôlée) Champagne, rather than Prosecco. (Polaris PDB being the exception, when it is so-called 'California Champagne', i.e. not Champagne but rather sparkling white.)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
4 domestic F UA flights so far this year; 5 PDBs (yesterday I was offered a refill during a fairly lengthy boarding process). All full bar service.
8 Domestic UA flights in the F cabin in the past two weeks; Full PDB consistently offered; one flight had a mechanical delay, so Flight Attendant came by and offered refills, stating "we may be here awhile". ^
onthesam and VegasGambler like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
EWR-DTW and EWR-DAY this week: both times I managed to pour down 3 G&Ts and was even offered more including PDB. On the other hand the mainline flights I took EWR-MSY and EWR-MIA I have not been offered a PDB. On all flights everything went normal, so no IRROPS and such. Anyone else's experience that UX flights might be a little more consistent in regards to PDBs?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mynolix
EWR-DTW and EWR-DAY this week: both times I managed to pour down 3 G&Ts and was even offered more including PDB. On the other hand the mainline flights I took EWR-MSY and EWR-MIA I have not been offered a PDB. On all flights everything went normal, so no IRROPS and such. Anyone else's experience that UX flights might be a little more consistent in regards to PDBs?
I should point out that my 4 flights were all mainline. SFO-OGG, OGG-SFO, SFO-PHX, SFO-HNL. FAs have all been great too.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Polaris has never touched Krug or Dom Perignon, as far as I am aware anyway. The upgrade with Polaris was that it always offers some proper (contrôlée) Champagne, rather than Prosecco. (Polaris PDB being the exception, when it is so-called 'California Champagne', i.e. not Champagne but rather sparkling white.)
Agree about the Krug & Dom. However, recently I was served a PDB of a French Rosé Champagne/Sparkler. I might have preferred the California.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mynolix

I am on UAX a lot. PDBs are pretty consistent, with the exception of E175s. Seems like half the FAs just give up trying to get 12 PDBs served, along with all the other front door duties, in the short boarding time that they have.

The times I am on mainline, I have always had a PDB.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
No pdb Friday night E175 ORD-SAT. FA claimed “short turnaround” as his excuse, but plane was on the ground > 1 hr and normal boarding 🙄
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Not even close. Last time I had Dom P. on United was circa 1990 in First Class. AFAIK, only Emirates serves it now.

United Polaris has possibly the worst premium class wine/champagne selection in the skies. It's rare to see anything that sells for more than $15/bottle and even that tends to be swill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.