Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Continental
saudia website?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Im glad everyone agrees it's strange!! Flight was F1 A0 P0 etc when I booked. Now F0 A0 P0 etc, as I got the last seat.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:00 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Booked IAH-PSP one way for Christmas later this month. I normally fly F, but there was only 1 seat left in F on the flight.... Y was $212 and F was $1202. I decided to roll the dice and planned on applying an RPU as seats will usually open up at some point.

Immediately after booking, I was offered an upgrade for $309. Obviously I took it so my seat in F would be confirmed.

The strange thing is, it booked into an F fare. So, my F fare cost $521 vs. the F fare that was offered initially when booking.

We all get these upgrade offers after booking a regular basis... usually when it is that much of a discount, it would book into P or A, but F would usually be fairly accurate on the difference between the coach fare and the first fare shown when booking.
When I had this experience, it was still treated as an "upgrade" and not an upfare. It was on a p.s. flight and I bought the upgrade, which booked into P class (not R or PN). But the ticket receipt showed that an upgrade fee, not a fare difference, was collected, and the $500 or so upgrade fee did not count for PQD because it was not a re-fare.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hockey7711
saudia website?
http://www.saudiairlines.com/

If you go to "Manage Bookings" and enter your ticket number, you will be able to see relatively more information about your coupon than most other sites, including the complete fare basis.

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
When I had this experience, it was still treated as an "upgrade" and not an upfare. It was on a p.s. flight and I bought the upgrade, which booked into P class (not R or PN). But the ticket receipt showed that an upgrade fee, not a fare difference, was collected, and the $500 or so upgrade fee did not count for PQD because it was not a re-fare.
Huh. Maybe it force-clears to the lowest open inventory, which will be a revenue bucket if R, PN, and ZN are not available. In OP's case, F was the only option so it cleared the upgrade into F inventory. That's going to be my hypothesis, since $309 is way more than the fare differential for that route.

OP - if you check your receipt, does it call the add/collect an upgrade fee? If so, I think my guess would be correct. I wonder if this "feature" means you earn 1.5x PQM...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:40 pm

LHR-EWR
11/25
K Fare
$629 Offer in app to BF, accepted. Booked into ZN. Interestingly, when checking in bags at the kiosk I was offered an upgrade to GF for $829. Having never sat in GF, I seriously considered it, but $1500+ total seemed a bit absurd to not be getting the PQD/PQMs and I declined. I wouldn't have thought that you would get a check in offer for GF on a paid upgrade though. Anybody else seen this?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bizzarODog
LHR-EWR
11/25
K Fare
$629 Offer in app to BF, accepted. Booked into ZN. Interestingly, when checking in bags at the kiosk I was offered an upgrade to GF for $829. Having never sat in GF, I seriously considered it, but $1500+ total seemed a bit absurd to not be getting the PQD/PQMs and I declined. I wouldn't have thought that you would get a check in offer for GF on a paid upgrade though. Anybody else seen this?
I've seen a BF to GF upgrade offer on a similar route after doing miles+co pay to go from economy to BF.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fireflash
I've seen a BF to GF upgrade offer on a similar route after doing miles+co pay to go from economy to BF.
Me too. I did a miles upgrade from Y to BF on a IAD-BRU flight earlier this year and it offered me GF for another $1,199
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wouldn't have thought that you would get a check in offer for GF on a paid upgrade though. Anybody else seen this?
The only thing unusual about that offer was the price. It's usually over $1K.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
LHR-EWR
11/25
K Fare
Generally speaking, double upgrades is a big no-no with UA, but they do allow it with cash upgrades.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K

Caved today

IAD > IAH

2 seats left, I was #1 on the list when I landed at IAD - GPU had cleared on MAN > IAD

$169 for a lay flat kirk seat on the 767 - paid for the seat, didn't want to push my luck...
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Caved today

IAD > IAH

2 seats left, I was #1 on the list when I landed at IAD - GPU had cleared on MAN > IAD

$169 for a lay flat kirk seat on the 767 - paid for the seat, didn't want to push my luck...
Can't say that I blame you, but I might've rolled the dice at #1 if it was less than 2 hours until departure. Did you look at the app to see if anyone was upgraded after you?

And out of curiosity, what booking class did you land in?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And out of curiosity, what booking class did you land in?
Booked into Z

I didn't look at the list again, as I'd been removed from it
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards, Hertz GoldPlus Rewards, IHG Rewards Club
Today RIC-SAN via IAD, booked into K initially at $177, was immediately offered a buy up for $309, which I grabbed. Ticket now shows that segment booked in P.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
UA106 IAD to MUC on 4 Dec
Y fare
GPU requested but not cleared at OLCI, offered UG for $599, declined
checked in and the GPU cleared immediately.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
UA 1622, IAH-PVR, tomorrow on a N fare
$329 at OLCI

Hah. Pass. I'll take my chances with the CPU, especially since as of now I have an entire row of E+ to myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.