Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kluau88
UA 881 ORD-NRT
W fare upgraded with a GPU to BF.
Mobile App
$1489
Just to understand: that would have been an u/g from BF to GF, right?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Just to understand: that would have been an u/g from BF to GF, right?
That is correct I declined and and am sitting comfortably in 16A as we speak
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
No one here can tell you why. Could be that you took the last buy-up seat. Could be the broken fare (U/G). Could be the elite status. Could be any number of things.
I'm confident I didn't take the last buy-up seat - they were showing as '7 remaining' (and Expertflyer showed P7) before I grabbed mine; it now shows as P6 but no offer. But it could be any number of other factors. Has anyone experienced buy-up offers for domestic flights that were bought on a non-USA version of united.com?

The price differential is explained by the fact your friend was forced to buy a U (which is a very high economy fare class). Were these bought at substantially different times?

btw, the real steal here is the $282 buy-up to BF on ps on an S fare. Elites never see that offer. Unless your RPU cleared at booking, you probably should have taken it.
Actually they were bought within half an hour of each other. It's odd.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat, United Gold
SFO-JFK ps
T fare up to ZN
After OLCI, US $349
Accepted

Got a $349 offer after OLCI on the app earlier today when there were 3 seats remaining. Was pre-occupied and forgot about it. Checked again 20 minutes later and only 2 seats left at $2549. Just checked again now with 1 seat left at $349. Picked it up this time.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:58 am

SIN-HKG
L fare
$669 (mobile app)
Declined

I was offered this without a mileage plus number on the record. When I have had my MP number in the record the buy up has been about the same.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: El Al, US Airways, United
JFK-SFO p.s.
L fare
$369 (app OLCI)
Accepted
Old May 1, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
PHX-IAH
G fare on 738, 2 seats left
OLCI $219 declined
At kiosk $139 declined

IAH-EWR
G fare on 763, 1 seat left
OLCI $279 declined
Old May 1, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm a bit confused. Whats the difference between this thread and the TOD one?
Old May 1, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drowelf
I'm a bit confused. Whats the difference between this thread and the TOD one?
TOD thread is supposed to be limited to reports of "tens of dollars" buy-ups. But people don't seem to grasp that concept.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
TOD thread is supposed to be limited to reports of "tens of dollars" buy-ups. But people don't seem to grasp that concept.
Agreed - TOD thread should really be about the "too good to be true" offers (which GMs seem to get more than elites). The non-elite flyer who posted about a $59 EWR-IAH upgrade on a T fare is a great example.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Just wondering if this happens to other people - after a while, when I look at a reservation (even far in advance), it will eventually say that online upgrade is not available. If that happens, do I just call in to the Premier hotline to ask what the upgrade price would be?
Old May 1, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Just wondering if this happens to other people - after a while, when I look at a reservation (even far in advance), it will eventually say that online upgrade is not available. If that happens, do I just call in to the Premier hotline to ask what the upgrade price would be?
Had the same thing happen to me this afternoon on an upcoming itinerary where departure is within the 100 hours. Paid upgrade was available and now it's not.

Greg
Old May 3, 2015, 6:43 am

So here's an example of an offer on both ends of the spectrum. I guess I could post part of this in the TOD thread too.

Booked 3 friends with zero status last night for a SFO-SEA RT for $200. A RT P fare was $370.

After purchase they were offered upgrades for $279 SFO-SEA and $219 SEA-SFO. Obviously a really bad value given buying a P fare was only $370.

Just checked their reservation now for the hell of it to see if the offer had changed.

Now they are being offered a buy up of $79 each way.

K fare outbound. G fare inbound.

I was not logged into my account for those curious, but logged into my friend's account.

Last edited by kluau88; May 3, 2015 at 8:54 am
Old May 3, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is it possible to backdoor your way into these TODs? It seems like most of the really good offers are to non-elites or non-members...could you book your itinerary as a non-member, get the TOD, then add your MP# to the account after the fact?
Old May 3, 2015, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kluau88
Booked 3 friends with zero status last night for a SFO-SEA RT for $200. A RT P fare was $370.

Now they are being offered a buy up of $79 each way.
If my math is correct, that would be $360 for the RT vs. the $370 P fare.

The real story here is that UA will sell a front cabin fare on that flight for $370 RT. That is unbelievably cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.