Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leonidas
What is the best way of stopping this now instead of T-24 or T-48 etc? Phone agent seems to think that it can only be stopped after T-24.
You could ask the phone agent to remove your FF# from the reservation, and then add it back in at the airport. You may lose your E+ seats in between if there is an aircraft swap, however.

What I do in this situation is put myself into the middle seat and the other person into the window / aisle. Then, if I do get CPU'd, I will ask the gate agent for a downgrade if the original seat is still available -- which, since it's a middle, it frequently is. If it's not, at that point I just sit in economy anyway, and somebody goes from a middle E+ seat to first. Oddly, I've never been turned down. ;-)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by miasmal
I want to gift RPUs for 2 friends on the same PNR for EWR-HNL. They bought the tickets themselves. I can pull up their itinerary, no problem. Currently R0 for the flight so waitlist for now. If I apply the RPU(s) - I assume it will pull 2 from my bank since there are 2 people - then it's either they eventually both get the upgrade, or they do not and I get back both RPUs, correct? ie. Not 1 gets upgrade and 1 stranded in the back....
until check-in, it is all or nothing if on a common PNR. However, at check-in -- they will be asked if they want to be waitlisted at the Gate -- if they request that, the PNR will be split and their request will be handled separately, so possible one could could and the other world not. If this is not acceptable, they need to be careful at check-in and decline the waitlist.

Originally Posted by leonidas
I don't want to be CPU'ed on my next domestic flight. My non-elite mother is traveling with me on a separate PNR. I put us together in E+. I don't want to get upgraded and lose my seat next to her.

What is the best way of stopping this now instead of T-24 or T-48 etc? Phone agent seems to think that it can only be stopped after T-24. ....
This has not worked well -- there is a way to disable waitlisting / CPU but either agents don't know how to do or the system overrides. Try calling again and see if the next agent is more familiar with this obscure setting.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
1. Any Premier with a Chase card is eligible for a CPU on award flights (X/XN).
Despite protests agent at UA Club refused to put me on waitlist this Monday.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I have a few questions about MP.

I want to burn a few miles to help a friend go on a trip this fall. At that time, I will only have enough for a one-way saver (the friend will pay his own way back). He wants to fly in F, and wants to buy the difference in miles for the redemption. Neither of us have status. Here are my questions:

1. If I log onto my MP account, and let my friend enter his CC# to buy the miles needed for the redemption in F, is that allowed? Will it raise any red flags? Or should he just buy them under "Give Miles?"
2. Do purchased miles deposit immediately for redemption?
3. Once I redeem the miles for the flight, does it allow the PNR to be linked to his FF# so that he can pull it up on his United app?
4. If IRROPS occurs or if something happens where he needs to call in to UA for any reason, would I need to be involved? Would I need to be the person to call for him since the miles came out of my account? He may have problems reaching me in that case.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by diburning
1. If I log onto my MP account, and let my friend enter his CC# to buy the miles needed for the redemption in F, is that allowed? Will it raise any red flags? Or should he just buy them under "Give Miles?"
2. Do purchased miles deposit immediately for redemption?
3. Once I redeem the miles for the flight, does it allow the PNR to be linked to his FF# so that he can pull it up on his United app?
4. If IRROPS occurs or if something happens where he needs to call in to UA for any reason, would I need to be involved? Would I need to be the person to call for him since the miles came out of my account? He may have problems reaching me in that case.
  1. Any credit card is acceptable. There is no name matching.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes, you enter his MP number when you make the reservation.
  4. He should be able to handle it all himself.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Awesome! Thanks! Got him a saver award in BF on P.S.!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Originally Posted by miasmal
I want to gift RPUs for 2 friends on the same PNR for EWR-HNL. They bought the tickets themselves. I can pull up their itinerary, no problem. Currently R0 for the flight so waitlist for now. If I apply the RPU(s) - I assume it will pull 2 from my bank since there are 2 people - then it's either they eventually both get the upgrade, or they do not and I get back both RPUs, correct? ie. Not 1 gets upgrade and 1 stranded in the back.
That's correct! The only way they would get upgraded one-by-one is if they were to split the PNR into two separate ones.

Splitting can have a slight advantage. Say R0 goes to R1. One PNR gets upgraded. Later if R0 goes to R1 or more again, then the second gets upgraded. But if they're on the same PNR, R0 going to R1 will upgrade someone else.

That said, there are disadvantages (as you seem to be aware of) of being treated separately. As is, on the same PNR, it will function as you outlined.

EDIT: Just saw WineCountryUA's note above - good catch for that check-in choice.

Last edited by GretelNick; Jul 16, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: United Gold
I had to recently cancel a HNL-YUL flight so now I have about a year to use its value. I want to change it to HNL-Europe, so I'll have to pay the fare difference + the change fee ($200 for some reason, even though HNL-YUL is an international flight not a domestic one).

Once I book the new flight, I just wanted to know what would happen if I cancel the HNL-Europe flight within the 24hr cancellation window. Will they refund all the money (HNL-YUL flight + fare difference + $200) or will they refund just some of it (HNL-YUL flight + fare difference)?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I had to recently cancel a HNL-YUL flight so now I have about a year to use its value. I want to change it to HNL-Europe, so I'll have to pay the fare difference + the change fee ($200 for some reason, even though HNL-YUL is an international flight not a domestic one).

Once I book the new flight, I just wanted to know what would happen if I cancel the HNL-Europe flight within the 24hr cancellation window. Will they refund all the money (HNL-YUL flight + fare difference + $200) or will they refund just some of it (HNL-YUL flight + fare difference)?
no, neither -- the rescheduled trip is considered a change of the original trip and not a new booking. The 24 hour refund rules do not apply to a changed booking. Otherwise a change would turn a nonrefundable ticket into a refundable ticket -- that's not going to happen.

More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-policy.html
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I had to recently cancel a HNL-YUL flight so now I have about a year to use its value.
Remember that it's one year from the original booking date, not from the cancellation date or the original travel date.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:26 pm

I just bought a last minute ticket from EWR to PDX for this monday returning thursday. I had to pay the 75 dollar fee so I used my amex to get the airline reimbursement fee. And I don't have status on united just my mileage plus card from chase, which I couldn't use to get a free checked bag. So my question is, is there anything I can do to get a free checked bag even though i didn't use my card to get a free bag?

Also, how difficult is it to get a free upgrade? Even to economy plus. I used the super saver award for 25k round trip and on my way to PDX, they had no economy seats left, just economy plus and business class.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
So my question is, is there anything I can do to get a free checked bag even though i didn't use my card to get a free bag?

Also, how difficult is it to get a free upgrade? Even to economy plus. I used the super saver award for 25k round trip and on my way to PDX, they had no economy seats left, just economy plus and business class.
If you can get your bag to carry-on size, you could have a good chance of gate checking it. But no luck on a free checked bag when you check in.

If there are no economy seats left, you have a good chance of being automatically assigned an E+ seat for free.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GretelNick
If you can get your bag to carry-on size, you could have a good chance of gate checking it. But no luck on a free checked bag when you check in.

If there are no economy seats left, you have a good chance of being automatically assigned an E+ seat for free.
OP - what does your reservation say about a free bag? Although you should've used your card for the fee for a free bags, sometimes the system still links your credit card and may waive it.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
Rules regarding time window to use GPU

Greetings
If at the time of booking in the calendar year 2015, there is R-class inventory available for a departure in 2016, can a Mileage Plus member apply a GPU that has an expiration date of 2015?
Thanks
Koppelman
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
I just booked an itinerary that includes a flight from ORD to TVC.

UA3398 E CHICAGO, IL
(ORD - O'HARE) 8:50 AM TRAVERSE CITY, MI
(TVC) 10:57 AM ERJ-145
Flight operated by TRANS STATES AIRLINES doing business as UNITED EXPRESS.
If this is an originating flight on your itinerary, please check in at the UNITED AIRLINES TERM 1 ticket counter.

Lower down on the receipt email, it says:

3398 Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)-Traverse City, MI (TVC) Ineligible to accrue mileage or Premier qualifying credit

How can this be?? This is a not-cheap, E-class ticket, on a United express carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.