Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Actually ...

Both my CA and AC flights just showed up without me having to do anything. And yes, I was able to assign myself seats via UAL.com ^
To be clear - if I book flights on UA metal on another website (say, NH - so the flights would be booked under NH codeshare, not the UA flight number), can I just add the ticket confirmation to my M+ account thereafter and select seats on those UA flights as though it was a regular booking through .bomb? I'm just asking because it appears that some itineraries are pricing cheaper when the flights on UA metal are booked under NH codeshares...
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
can I just add the ticket confirmation to my M+ account thereafter and select seats on those UA flights
You'll need the United PNR to do this.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
To be clear - if I book flights on UA metal on another website (say, NH - so the flights would be booked under NH codeshare, not the UA flight number), can I just add the ticket confirmation to my M+ account thereafter and select seats on those UA flights as though it was a regular booking through .bomb? I'm just asking because it appears that some itineraries are pricing cheaper when the flights on UA metal are booked under NH codeshares...
OTA purchased Air China with ALL UA metal. AC purchased flight with four segments on UA, two on AC Jazz.

NO action on my part, visible on UAL.com. In case of AC, purchased ticket, selected seats on Jazz, went to UAL.com, logged in, selected seats for UA metal flights.

YMMV.

Have not flown this flight yet, I'm on u/g list for all four legs. Two may clear, two will NOT.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NO action on my part, visible on UAL.com. In case of AC, purchased ticket, selected seats on Jazz, went to UAL.com, logged in, selected seats for UA metal flights.

YMMV.
If you enter your MileagePlus number at booking, it should appear on the website immediately. If not, you'll need to look it up via last name and PNR. You can actually save anyone's reservation to your account if you have the last name and PNR. I take advantage of this when I'm helping family members navigate United.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
OTA purchased Air China with ALL UA metal. AC purchased flight with four segments on UA, two on AC Jazz.

YMMV.

Have not flown this flight yet, I'm on u/g list for all four legs. Two may clear, two will NOT.
On NH website, it says I cannot include MP number on the reservation if there are no NH flights (which there aren't). Would it be a problem adding via PNR on .bomb, or could I encounter a bigger issue where these would not be eligible at all?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:03 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
On NH website, it says I cannot include MP number on the reservation if there are no NH flights (which there aren't). Would it be a problem adding via PNR on .bomb, or could I encounter a bigger issue where these would not be eligible at all?
Never booked on NH, so cannot help you there. I'm assuming if you follow another poster's advice on previous page you should be able to add it on UAL.com, but I have no personal experience with that.

My Air China all UA metal was booked at one of the large OTAs, but don't remember which one. No problem putting in my MP # there or on AirCanada.com.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Originally Posted by Bearcat16
I got a compensation voucher for 150 bucks for a seat not working. When I use that in to pay for part of a ticket, does that count towards pqd?
Yes!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'm thinking of taking my Dad on a quick ski trip in Jan for a Christmas present.
99% sure it won't be a problem for him to go if I let him know on Christmas.

Right now the flight there is A $370 and the flight back is W $224.
I clicked on fare rules and info but even on FT I still can't figure out what all of this entails because I've never canceled a trip and only changed a flight once.

If for some reason he absolutely cannot go would I be able to A) Get the $ back to me, if so how much? B) Get a UA $ voucher in his name less how much?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'm thinking of taking my Dad on a quick ski trip in Jan for a Christmas present.
99% sure it won't be a problem for him to go if I let him know on Christmas.

Right now the flight there is A $370 and the flight back is W $224.
I clicked on fare rules and info but even on FT I still can't figure out what all of this entails because I've never canceled a trip and only changed a flight once.

If for some reason he absolutely cannot go would I be able to A) Get the $ back to me, if so how much? B) Get a UA $ voucher in his name less how much?
If a RT domestic ticket, the cancellation / change fee will likely be $200 (requiring new money) and initially the credit will be only for the original passagner.

More on how this works in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...le-flight.html.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Maybe I was missing it but I'll look again but there was not really any mention of buying a flex ticket. (A) is still non-refund?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I was missing it but I'll look again but there was not really any mention of buying a flex ticket. (A) is still non-refund?
It depends upon the rules for the specific fares involved in your trip. There will be a link to them during the purchase process (after you've selected your flights and before you proceed to entering passenger details). Look for "changes" and "cancellations" to see the fees that will apply, and keep in mind that the most restrictive (i.e., expensive) rule on a PNR takes precedence.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some true "A" fares are typically refundable to original payment method for a fee.
"A" fares that are -UP fares are usually non-refundable.
So for "A" fare you need to read the fare rules.

Flex fares mean the change fee is zero, but does not infer the refund fee is zero.

Additionally an A fare purchased with a non-refundable fare like "W" becomes non-refundable. A RT with mixed fares is bound by the most restricted fare rule of the ticket.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Can overseas economy award tickets be upgraded to business class using miles, or can you only upgrade using miles when you've actually purchased the ticket?

For example how would you get into business class if the only awards available are in economy?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Can overseas economy award tickets be upgraded to business class using miles, or can you only upgrade using miles when you've actually purchased the ticket?

For example how would you get into business class if the only awards available are in economy?
Pretty much the same response as in the PPT thread - lots of work, waitlisting (if on UA metal), booking something knowing it can change, etc.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66

For example how would you get into business class if the only awards available are in economy? ...
Much discussion of this in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html

You don't "upgrade" an award ticket but you can waitlist for a higher cabin (but only on UA operated flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.