Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I flew the extra time to TPE to backtrack to NRT to fly on Speedpuff.
Originally Posted by physioprof
Awesome!
You're not the only one, hope you scored a deck of playing cards!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
ORD-ANC, 3:50pm departure. 2 choices, Vegetable Lasagna or Half of a Half Chicken Breast with rice. No soup, salad was watermelon feta (tasted ok)

No ice cream or sorbet. Cookie. This was an awful meal for this long of a flight. In the past this had a full service.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
ORD-ANC, 3:50pm departure. 2 choices, Vegetable Lasagna or Half of a Half Chicken Breast with rice. No soup, salad was watermelon feta (tasted ok)

No ice cream or sorbet. Cookie. This was an awful meal for this long of a flight. In the past this had a full service.
Nuts?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by transportprof
Nuts?
Yes they're clearly nuts regarding catering.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

This seems like an error, as ORD-ANC has a ~6.5h block time and exceeds all transcontinental flights in distance. So the service should have been a three-choice lunch with sorbet, followed by snack basket before arrival, irrespective of departure time (for non-redeyes). I'd make a note of that...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
IAD-DFW
UA 1926
Depart: 5:05 pm
3 hours, 10 minutes

Choices: Chicken with rice, beans and broccolini or grilled chicken salad with chicken enchilada soup. The flight attendant joked good-naturedly about the abundance of chicken in the meal choices.

I had the chicken with rice & beans - it was okay but was really lacking in flavor.

Served with watermelon / feta salad. Fruit was great - fresh and flavorful. Did not eat the feta.

PDB full bar was offered. Cookie about an hour after the meal. Drinks refilled continuously.

Big improvement over what used to be offered, even though the flavor of the main course has room for improvement
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA6426
SFO-MSP / August 1, 2015
ERJ-175 / Dinner

Two choices for dinner, a chicken and hummus sandwich with a side I didn't catch exactly what it was (pictured), or the Asian beef salad with pickled vegetables. The ciabatta made the whole thing a bit on the dry side (and it was served cold b/c RJ), but with all the hate the RJs get it was pleasantly above my expectations. Cookie is wrapped instead of warm - again, no heating. Full ramekin of nuts came right before the meal (I've eaten some of it before the photo), and full bar PDB and attentive refills from the purser meant I was quite happy when we landed

Not too bad when the bin over you probably couldn't even fit a laptop, let along a laptop in its bag.

I missed what this side dish was, but it seemed to contain couscous, grain, raisins, and slices of apple. I thought it was quite good ^
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I had the same meal on an RJ last month and agree 100% on the dryness of the sandwich. It would have been MUCH better with some mayo or dijonaise or something.

I wasn't a fan of the side dish (raisins are evil), but can understand how others would like it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
LAX-IAH-PHL: Choices were chicken or chicken and chicken or chicken.

July 22

LAX-IAH Lunch
Choices were Asian chicken salad with soup and roll or "chicken sandwich with cilantro" with quinoa salad and chips.

I had the chicken sandwich. It was a southwestern style sandwich. Not a fan, so I only ate half. The quinoa salad was wet and lasted lemony. Two tastes and I was done. The chips were good.

Service was very good when the FA's were working the cabin, but disappeared for a while after the meal service. Purser came around just before landing and thanked everyone in F for their business.

IAH-PHL Dinner
Choices were a hot chicken dish (forgot what it came with) or salad with chicken pieces. I had the salad, which was OK.

Service was excellent. Sole FA in F worked the cabin constantly.

"Dessert" on both flights was a cookie.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by EWR764
This seems like an error, as ORD-ANC has a ~6.5h block time and exceeds all transcontinental flights in distance. So the service should have been a three-choice lunch with sorbet, followed by snack basket before arrival, irrespective of departure time (for non-redeyes). I'd make a note of that...
Perhaps due to double catering for return flight to ORD.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by zoegksf
Perhaps due to double catering for return flight to ORD.
Even if the return to ORD is downline catered, it's just a snack basket service for the redeye back, with warmed pastry prior to arrival.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764
Even if the return to ORD is downline catered, it's just a snack basket service for the redeye back, with warmed pastry prior to arrival.
The return ANC-ORD was a snack. Departure 8:14pm.

Cold sandwich with lobster bisque soup. The soup was probably the best thing I have ever had on UA. Pre Arrival, pound cake.

As far as ORD-ANC, it was awful. I haven't taken that flight in over a month but last month, we also only had 2 options but the options were more filling. And we had ice cream.

I'll be taking the same route in 2 weeks again, I report back.

The flight crew was fantastic! Its a joy to not ride a 737 for 7 hours. The 757 made the flight 1000 times better. The 737 on that long flight is brutal and I will never do it again on ORD-ANC.

Hopefuy this fight remains a 757 for a while. Next year, hopefully we see a sCO 757 as the UA ones will be gone.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:02 pm

The return ANC-ORD was a snack. Departure 8:14pm.
So it may be downline catered from ORD, I thought ANC-ORD was an earlier departure. Still, there should be enough cart space to pack out a full transcon service (aux cart storage near 2R). Interesting.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
BOG-IAH
UA1006

Boeing 757-200 Lie-flat
Meal: Dinner

Red-eye flight

No menu, choice of: Beef, Chicken, or Fish

Fish Entree - not bad tasting, salad was also good
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:59 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Midcon lunch was absolutely horrible yesterday...It was straight out of the airplane scene in 'Tommy Boy': "What are we serving tonight? Chicken or...chicken?"

An unappealing cold Asian chicken salad or an equally unappealing hot chicken sandwich. I thought the goal was more offerings, not less!?!?!?! I find UA's processed chicken to be horrible...And it was. The portion was tiny, chicken was rubbery...The meal seemed like a huge step backwards.

The soup used to come with both entrees...I ended up with the chicken salad because the sandwich didn't come with soup.

The tomato soup was excellent. It's about all I ate. I did dig out a few noodles from the salad, and choked down one bite of the chicken before ultimately moving to the soup and not coming back to the salad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.