Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Woman sues United for her arrest after trying to poach E+ seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman sues United for her arrest after trying to poach E+ seat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I'd "check the car out" and keep it otherwise occupied so no one could buy it. Then buy it at reduced rate. And laugh my way to the bank
Lick the door handle as other customers approach?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by amt
Toyota offer you the chance to pre-order a limited edition car

Toyota don't sell as many as they expect so offer current Toyota owners the limited edition to those who ordered the regular.

All the Toyota owners take up the offer but there is still additional inventory.

You're not a Toyota owner but see the excess inventory headed for the scrap heap and the promotion taking place.

You request as a paying customer having ordered a regular car to be allowed take advantage of the offer.

Toyota have you arrested and accuse you of trying to steal a car.

Sounds like a lawsuit to me...
Whatever Toyota offers is Toyota's right. What about the movie theater question? Or the Broadway show question?
Can you go to a baseball game, buy bleacher seats, and move to a box and sit there instead?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
This is why the old analog cable TV was better than todays fancy product.

Anybody could easily get around the filter system. Only "little people" actually paid for premium cable channels back them. And morally proper as viewing the unpaidfor channels cost the cable company nothing.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:07 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Whatever Toyota offers is Toyota's right. What about the movie theater question? Or the Broadway show question?
Can you go to a baseball game, buy bleacher seats, and move to a box and sit there instead?
You're right, but I didn't say otherwise...

I said whatever comments I make in regards to Toyota' and their front line staff's behavior is my right. And if I happen to cc' a corporate travel dept head that does a lot of business with United or in the case of other airlines some personal contacts I know that have corner offices and titles like vice-president of.. Or head of... such is my right also.

Your other analogies... Well you can't well say I paid for this airline seat I'll sit in it wherever the plane goes after my destination can you? Just like you can't sit through every movie playing that day.

And Broadway and sporting events are a little different in that a seat owner could in theory still show up given they don't take place in a aluminum tube at 45,000 ft. No?

But if I buy an unspecified bleacher seat and some people pay more to reserve a bleacher seat and on that day there are better seats unoccupied WITHIN THE BLEACHERS do they stop you from moving forward a row? You might be asked to move if a seat owner shows up, but that can't happen once the doors are closed and the air bridge is being retracted. Can it?

Got any more analogies? I feel I should be this women's lawyer
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully she is fined heavily for wasting the courts time, the lawyer gets sanctioned and then they both end up on the hook for UA's lawyers fees. That is the best ending for this case.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by amt
Toyota offer you the chance to pre-order a limited edition car

Toyota don't sell as many as they expect so offer current Toyota owners the limited edition to those who ordered the regular.

All the Toyota owners take up the offer but there is still additional inventory.

You're not a Toyota owner but see the excess inventory headed for the scrap heap and the promotion taking place.

You request as a paying customer having ordered a regular car to be allowed take advantage of the offer.
You left out

Toyota says no and you take it anyway in direct defiance of what the owner (Toyota) said.

Originally Posted by amt
Toyota have you arrested and accuse you of trying to steal a car.

Sounds like a lawsuit to me...
No, sounds like a jail term for you.

And here's a better example. You check into a Marriott. You pay for the smallest room. You discover a suite is available and unoccupied. It's on the same floor as your cheap room. You ask Marriott if you can move into it. They tell you it's an extra $100. You wait until you think no one is looking and you sneak into it. They discover you and tell you to pay the difference or leave. You refuse to do either.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to an attorney.

Last edited by Tchiowa; Dec 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Exactly. Each entity can choose to what degree or not they wish to protect the value of their product from being (used without charge, stolen, poached, etc). UA is choosing to have FA's protect the value of E+ which suits most FF'ers just fine, and seems to be a majority opinion here. They just don't have employees trained well enough to handle the conflict that is sure to arise from time to time, especially with their paying passengers who hold different opinions on how they should handle such a situation. Only time will tell if enough passengers feel that they are being treated improperly and take their business elsewhere or if UA makes enough from E+ that those who disagree can keep on walkin' out the door.

Originally Posted by amt
She should hire you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2014 at 1:48 pm Reason: Repaired quote -- wrong attribution
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:35 pm
amt

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You left out

Toyota says no and you take it anyway in direct defiance of what the owner (Toyota) said.

No, sounds like a jail term for you.
I'm not going to reiterate plain English over and over again.

I said that if this had happened to me or if It had happened to a travelling companion. I would have felt the same way but reacted different.

I would have done the equivalent of requesting to speak with a manager and if some low level sales person said no because of 'little person syndrome' I'd cancel my existing order, sent correspondence directly to the manager or any corporate office, not bought a future Toyota, told my kids when I was buying their first car that it's my money and we don't buy toyotas in this family... All things I am more than within my right to do.

An airline is entitled to do what it wants within the contract of getting people from A to B. If it treats people like dirt and accuses them of stealing for switching economy seats that's their business and remains so as long as shareholders will tolerate the piss poor performance relative to their two remaining legacy competitiors.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
amt, feel free to check out DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines)
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amt
An opinion can't be incorrect it can only differ from that of others.
That's nice, but is has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

You claimed

Originally Posted by amt
Once the doors closed and the flight takes off unoccupied seats are fair game.
This is nonsense. They are not fair game, as the lady who tried to poach the seat found out. There are clear rules on this.

We get it, you don't think the rules apply to you.....don't expect everyone to think the same.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by amt
But if I buy an unspecified bleacher seat and some people pay more to reserve a bleacher seat and on that day there are better seats unoccupied WITHIN THE BLEACHERS do they stop you from moving forward a row? You might be asked to move if a seat owner shows up, but that can't happen once the doors are closed and the air bridge is being retracted. Can it?

Problems:
1- Airline seats are not unspecified: they are assigned.
2- The seats may be in the same section but they are not "equal": even this woman will agree these are more desirable seats.

To continue with your analogy: your favourite team offers two types of bleacher seats: painted blue and painted red. For one reason or another, the red seats cost more (because of location, extra leg room, additional padding, red is the team color, whatever reason management comes up with to justify distinguishing these from the blue seats). While you may have some point in suggesting all blue seats are equivalent (and that it should be ok to move to a better blue seat), they are clearly not equivalent to red seats, even if both might be in the same bleacher section.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kettle1

She is from NY, so I am sure she was as polite as a Southern Bell when confronted by the FA.
Let's not disparage a former telephone company. Let's disparage a Southern Belle, instead! I am still amazed at the inability of our school system to teach spelling in the computer age.

And yes, I am a northern belle.

Originally Posted by Surftel
This is nonsense. They are not fair game, as the lady who tried to poach the seat found out. There are clear rules on this.

We get it, you don't think the rules apply to you.....don't expect everyone to think the same.
Right! It is no fairer to poach an economy plus seat than a first class seat when the doors are closed. Otherwise, we are living in a world where anarchy is apparentlly defensible.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 25, 2014 at 3:14 pm Reason: Merge
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:07 pm
amt

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You left out

And here's a better example. You check into a Marriott. You pay for the smallest room. You discover a suite is available and unoccupied. It's on the same floor as your cheap room. You ask Marriott if you can move into it. They tell you it's an extra $100. You wait until you think no one is looking and you sneak into it. They discover you and tell you to pay the difference or leave. You refuse to do either.
Okay buddy last one...

If I buy a budget hotel room, and ask may I have a south facing, slightly nicer due to its positioning same budget hotel room.

And the hotel clerk says no, we reserve those for our frequent guests. Even though in this fictional scenario there's zero possibility of such a person showing up asking for a room. Hotel rooms and cars aren't perishable like airline seats.

And I say that seems unreasonable I'm a paying guest. I'd like to speak with a manger and will most certainly be lodging a complaint, not staying here again.... such is my right to do so.

And if Mr or Mrs Tichowia in room 11 comes down and throws a tantrum saying I'm a thief and I shouldn't be allowed to 'steal' room 10 because they wanted the peace and quiet of being next to an empty room. I reserve the right to voice my opinion of them
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:14 pm

Thumbs down

Your analogies are as nonsensicle as your original statements. You think taking what others pay for is A-O-Kay. Your justifications are simply illegitimate. For a moment, I felt slightly embarrassed for you, for a moment...

Last edited by tuolumne; Dec 25, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by amt
Okay buddy last one...

If I buy a budget hotel room, and ask may I have a south facing, slightly nicer due to its positioning same budget hotel room.

And the hotel clerk says no, we reserve those for our frequent guests. Even though in this fictional scenario there's zero possibility of such a person showing up asking for a room. Hotel rooms and cars aren't perishable like airline seats.
But the clerk didn't say "no". The clerk said it's available for a fee.

Originally Posted by amt
And I say that seems unreasonable I'm a paying guest. I'd like to speak with a manger and will most certainly be lodging a complaint, not staying here again.... such is my right to do so.

And if Mr or Mrs Tichowia in room 11 comes down and throws a tantrum saying I'm a thief and I shouldn't be allowed to 'steal' room 10 because they wanted the peace and quiet of being next to an empty room. I reserve the right to voice my opinion of them
But it isn't the people in the next room complaining. It's the hotel. They said you had to pay more. You declined and went into the room without permission from the hotel. And when the hotel demanded that you pay the difference between the price of the room you paid for and the room you occupied, you refused.

Yes, you will be arrested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.