Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Correct me if I'm wrong...

After a day spent researching, it seems to me that mileageplus and skymiles is effectively the same -in terms of qualifying, benefits, and general reward travel. Aside from ticket pricing (which is often close enough to not cause worry), what should I consider when deciding which airline (United or Delta) to spend my money with? They seem the same in general. I don't get it...

I'm traveling between NYC and Denver most often. I would likely be a gold status on each.

Any thoughts appreciated-
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Reading these forums and being a UA flyer:
UA Pro: Still much better milage redemptions
Delta Pro: Much better lounges and premium cabin experience

Also *A is a bigger and better alliance.. Best perk of UA Gold = *A lounge access..
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis

Also *A is a bigger and better alliance.. Best perk of UA Gold = *A lounge access..
I would disagree. Out of NYC, it may be easier to use DL miles, and DL does not charge extra for partner carriers like UA does.

Perk of DL Gold is SkyTeam Elite Plus, which also includes lounge access when traveling internationally.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis

This ^
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If Denver is most often for you, you have nice UA options in both EWR and LGA - price can fluctuate between, so you can choose. Not sure of the DL frequency.

But IMO DL is a "better" airline.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Out of NYC, it may be easier to use DL miles, and DL does not charge extra for partner carriers like UA does.
Could you please elaborate on this? Why would DL miles be easier to use out of NYC? -THanks!

If Denver is most often for you, you have nice UA options in both EWR and LGA - price can fluctuate between, so you can choose. Not sure of the DL frequency.

But IMO DL is a "better" airline.
Ya, it does seem that UA has better options out of NYC -in general at least, more flights. Funny thing about your "better airline" opinion, I hear DL is a better experience pretty often. My wife is routinely on United and likes it well enough however.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 18, 2014 at 5:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This thread is temporarily closed due to cross-posting, which is not allowed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post24020361

Suggest the OP read the following thread for now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...014-posts.html

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.