Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA MileagePlus Business card primary auto rental CDW really work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So one of the nicest benefits for MP membership is you can get this card.

The card is rare since it offers primary cdw insurance so if you have a crash, your own car insurance is not used. So they say on paper ....

Has anyone actually had this happen to them?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I used the CDW waiver on a different card, and it was primary because I did not have car insurance at the time. (Which, incidentally, despite much confusion over the issue, is usually perfectly okay.) I found dealing with the people at the claims management company to be an absolute delight.

I would read the fine print and expect it to be fully honored. Remember, though, that this is not liability insurance, which means that there's a very substantial possibility that your insurance company will become involved anyway.

Last edited by mgcsinc; Dec 17, 2014 at 1:22 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I've used it for trip delay and they paid it quickly. For any kind of claim on card benefits you're going to need to provide a lot of documentation. Proof that you paid for the rental with just that card and no other card (points are usually ok), copies of rental agreements showing all vendor LDWs were declined, credit card statements, accident reports, damage reports, etc. For the damage report they'll only accept an itemized list of bill of repairs or final estimate from the vendor. They won't accept a bill for $5000 that just says "car's busted, pay us". I ran into that one a couple years ago in Iceland where the vendor would not provide an itemized bill of repairs. Fortunately it was only a 120 euros so I just ate it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I haven't used the CDW on the Mileage Plus Business card, but I have had a claim on my Presidential Plus card which I think uses the same insurance. It was pretty easy--I called the number on the back to open a claim, and mailed them the damage report, repair report, rental contract, and proof that I paid using my Presidential Plus card. They paid the claim directly to Avis within a few days.

Last edited by Sykes; Dec 18, 2014 at 10:47 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Regarding documentation, for my claim (again, on a different card) I was able to have them interface directly with the car rental company and get almost all the damage documentation that way.

I keep a copy of the check they cut to the rental car company to show people who tell me that they pay for coverage from the car rental company.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks all. I haven't needed to use it as yet, but its good to know it does work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.