Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I check in a kitchen appliance box as luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I check in a kitchen appliance box as luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:05 am

All the boxes on the luggage belt right in front of the passenger.

Originally Posted by mackenzie77
Forgive me but what is it that I'm looking at? I've turned my head every which way....
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I checked in a high-end coffee maker with no problem It was an impulse purchase when a store had one at a huge discount that I couldn't pass up.

After some quick discussions with the store, we decided that the best way to check it was for them to sell me one in the original packaging and to leave it alone, rather than to try to undo that and do something else since the packaging was of the custom fitted foam inserts variety. It came through in perfect condition but this was only on a short one-leg hop.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
As noted, you need to beware of the electrical rating of this mixer (220/50) or (110/60). But note that even a stepdown transformer will not make it safe to use a mixer with a motor designed for 110/60 on a 220/50 circuit. The transformer will reduce the voltage from 220 to 110, but won't do anything to change the AC's frequency from 50 Hz. up to 60 Hz. For an AC electric motor, this is key. It may not perform well, or at all, at a frequency different from what it was designed for.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jeff191
All the boxes on the luggage belt right in front of the passenger.
Yes - he was checking every one of those boxes for his flight - and that's his stuff on both belts - including his duty free purchase bag LOL. It took them 20 minutes to tag and check them all!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks everyone! Weight should be fine (definitely less than 20kg). Flying SFO-HKG-SIN and we're good on the transformers.

Thanks again -- I've edited the OP with the model. I guess it may not be an "industrial" type (I have near zero knowledge in this field).

They have imported this type before, so I assume they somehow solved the voltage issue.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2014 at 6:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.