Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I check in a kitchen appliance box as luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

Hi all, frequent UA flyer, but infrequent luggage checker, especially when it comes to kitchen stuff.

Am flying to SIN this Christmas, and need to bring a KitchenAid kitchen mixer for the relatives. Can I check the unopened box as luggage? The dimensions are about 18in x 20in x 20in. Do I need to double-box/wrap it in anything, or will they take it as-is? I think there's foam already inside.

Edit: here is the exact model. http://www.costco.com/KitchenAid%C2%....11754601.html

Thanks!

Last edited by Ryu2; Dec 17, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Ryu2
Hi all, frequent UA flyer, but infrequent luggage checker, especially when it comes to kitchen stuff.

Am flying to SIN this Christmas, and need to bring a industrial kitchen mixer for the relatives. Can I check the unopened box as luggage? The dimensions are about 18in x 20in x 20in. Do I need to double-box/wrap it in anything, or will they take it as-is? I think there's foam already inside.

Thanks!
You should be fine checking as is. They may or may not make you sign the back of the claim ticket waiving their liability for damage but they will almost certainly take it. I've checked all sort of things include bags, cases, TVs, tools, traffic signs, and drums of paint. No one has ever not been willing to check it. The only discussion has been around oversize/weight fees and waiver of their liability for damage. Note that their waiver of liability for damage does not waive their liability for loss.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kenn0223
You should be fine checking as is. They may or may not make you sign the back of the claim ticket waiving their liability for damage but they will almost certainly take it. I've checked all sort of things include bags, cases, TVs, tools, traffic signs, and drums of paint. No one has ever not been willing to check it.
Boy, it sounds like you have checked everything but a kitchen sink
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I've moved six times courtesy of United including many boxed appliances. No problem!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I've checked all sort of things include bags, cases, TVs, tools, traffic signs, and drums of paint.
That surprises me. Most paint is considered hazardous material and prohibited by the FAA.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
The short answer is that you can check it in. But the devil is in the details. You don't want damage while in transit.

Size-wise given the original box, you should be ok. The size limit for free checked baggage is 62 linear inches (158 cm) by adding length + width + height once. Your box is 58 inches. But this assumes the original box offers adequate protection. If you have to repack because the original carton is too flimsy, then you need to watch the linear inch limit or else you may have to pay an oversize charge. Also this does not take into account whether any internal components are correctly packaged so that there aren't any loose parts that might ricochet inside during the trip causing unseen damage. You don't indicate how much the mixer weighs but note a weight limit of 50 pounds on any one checked item for someone who is a regular traveller or UA MP Silver (I see you're 1K so it's 70 lbs).

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...ageExcess.aspx

Careful packing in a strong carton is important. I don't know where your start point is (SFO?) but assuming it is and the flight is on UA throughout, you're shipping internationally. Keep in mind that you're going to have at least one transit at either HKG or NRT where the mixer is going to have to be moved between planes so your box is going to have to stand up to being moved around. Luckily these are good airports for transferring luggage. FWIW I just moved a piece of furniture from LGA to SIN three weeks ago (so two inflight transits). I custom made a box for it from a newly thrown out carton for a furnace (so nice strong corrugated), just made the linear length limit, 40 pounds, made the trip fine.

I sure hope that your mixer is 220V, 50Hz. It would be a shame if you go through lots of effort to get it here to find out it's US voltage.

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Dec 17, 2014 at 2:28 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: United MP GS, HH Silver, Amtrak nothing
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408

I sure hope that your mixer is 220V, 50Hz. It would be a shame if you go through lots of effort to get it here to find out it's US voltage.
As long as they have a step down transformer to US voltage if it is indeed made for use in US it will be no problem. I had one in Hong Kong and SZ China that worked great for my Kuerig coffee maker and miscellaneous appliances that novice visitors from US brought with them on holiday.
Now I'm in Tokyo and we bought the reverse, step-up to be able to use TV, stereo, etc bought in HK.
Just part of being an itinerant ex-pat
Happy Mixing to your family Ryu2.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by BetsyF
As long as they have a step down transformer to US voltage if it is indeed made for use in US it will be no problem. I had one in Hong Kong and SZ China that worked great for my Kuerig coffee maker and miscellaneous appliances that novice visitors from US brought with them on holiday.
Now I'm in Tokyo and we bought the reverse, step-up to be able to use TV, stereo, etc bought in HK.
Just part of being an itinerant ex-pat
Happy Mixing to your family Ryu2.
These step down transformers exist and are easy to get here in Asia but need to watch the amperage. The OP is bringing into Singapore an industrial mixer (maybe it's for a relative with a restaurant or bakery?) - which means there's a motor, and presumably large amp draw since it's not a consumer unit. If it's that big, better he gets a device suited for local voltage from the get-go rather than jury rig a way to use a US device on Singapore (UK voltage/frequency) power. There's too big a fire hazard risk here.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
To date, I have delivered 2 Kitchenaid and 1 Vitamix mixers to relatives in Taiwan. I presume the Kitchenaid mixer is more of a concern, but they made it as one checked piece (each time) in their original packaging from Costco with no problems.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
To date, I have delivered 2 Kitchenaid and 1 Vitamix mixers to relatives in Taiwan. I presume the Kitchenaid mixer is more of a concern, but they made it as one checked piece (each time) in their original packaging from Costco with no problems.
It may or may not work. The OP was sparse with his information. On packaging what needs to be noted is whether the box his mixer comes in is display packaging (might have pretty pictures on the outside) or shipping packaging (ie what we'd call brown cardboard box like what Amazon Prime uses). If it's just display packaging, it might not survive the tender mercies of multiple transits through the UA cargo system (display packaging would be products that might be shipped say two to four display packages together in a large shipping carton). Keep in mind that the OP indicated it's an industrial mixer - I reckon that means it's heavier than a consumer unit - plus the external box is 20 x 20 x 18 inches - this is a good size cube that just makes it within UA's limit for shipping a check in item free. In addition if the product moves too much within the box, the movement will knock a hole in the cardboard (that's why there' s styrofoam corners in a carton - it's not to protect the product per se but to keep it from moving about from inside the shipping carton and minimizing any damage caused from the inside out).

OP - my guess is that from what you describe your package hopefully will travel ok but you need to give us more info in order for us not to guess.

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Dec 17, 2014 at 2:50 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
This gentleman was checking in in front of me on my last intra-Asia flight - I think you will be fine.... Sorry the pic is sideways when viewing on a computer - on my iphone it is rotated and looks right...

Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I've moved six times courtesy of United including many boxed appliances. No problem!
I only moved once on United's dime.

The best one was when it was time to pack the pantry.

Agent: "What's in the box?"
Me: "Cans of Soup"
Agent: <slaps the heavy tag on it>
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
UA will take it, albeit some agents will ask you to sign the waiver for damages because it's in a box. No need to rebox if it's in its original container.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
UA will take it, albeit some agents will ask you to sign the waiver for damages because it's in a box. No need to rebox if it's in its original container. (bold added)
The OP needs to take care that the original box is strong enough to take direct contact with shipping. Display cartons (I mentioned above) are typically lighter weight (ie thinner and less water tolerant) than shipping cartons and therefore not usually used for shipment. UA agents having customers signing the damage waiver is really unfortunate in this case because if the carton doesn't survive transport, neither will the item inside. The customer will then be up the creek with no paddle and no recourse.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This gentleman was checking in in front of me on my last intra-Asia flight - I think you will be fine.... Sorry the pic is sideways when viewing on a computer - on my iphone it is rotated and looks right...

Forgive me but what is it that I'm looking at? I've turned my head every which way....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.