Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which is Better; Aisle Seat in E- or Middle Seat in E+/Exit Row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is Better; Aisle Seat in E- or Middle Seat in E+/Exit Row?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MAZ199

PS. Pax in 20J and pax in 22C both have 2 seats next to them blocked
I've never seen a seat map like the one you show with the blocked seats. How do you get that? Is it automatic when you book?

Originally Posted by manneca
I'd go for the exit row or keep the bulkhead. The downside with the exit row is it's probably at the lav and you'll have people standing in the area. I once had someone trip over my feet when I was in the exit row. He acted as if I had deliberately tripped him. On a TLV flight, I had people praying over my feet.

The last few times I've done TPAC in the exit row, aisle and window, the middle has filled up.
I agree that the aisle is better. And by the way another reason for some of us to NOT choose bulkhead or exit row seats is that they have the tray table in the armrest and both armrests are neither movable nor do they have a gap in them. For those of us that are wide at the hip this results in a decrease in seat width. Making those seats less comfortable than E+ by far.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I've never seen a seat map like the one you show with the blocked seats. How do you get that? Is it automatic when you book?
Check out expertflyer.com — they have a free "seat alert" tool that will incidentally show you a flight's seat map. The "blocked" status is transmitted in back-end airline reservation systems as different than "occupied" status; in some cases, seats which appear "occupied" on united.com are actually unoccupied but unselectable.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

All great advices here.

But, we will take our chance and hope this pax will be upgraded

Makes us curious as to who will leave all window and aisle seats and emergency row in favor for a middle bulkhead

The blocked seats on UA's seatmap

Normal E+

Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MAZ199
....Makes us curious as to who will leave all window and aisle seats and emergency row in favor for a middle bulkhead ....
Someone who like bulkhead seats (especially if do not like the seat in front to recline into then or their laptop). Exit rows can also be good for this but some prefer bulkheads

Someone with a tight connection and wants to be off the the plane as quick as possible.

Someone with a mobility issue.

Engine noise tends to be an issue for some further back.

And sure there is more .....
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Aisle in E- or middle in E+ (757-300 transccon)

Any advice? Hoping that something else opens up!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I'd take an aisle any day rather than squeeze in between two other people, especially for a 5 hour flight!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I'd prefer middle E+, but I'm 6'2", just watch the seats at 72, 48, 24 hours, usually something opens up
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I'd take an aisle any day rather than squeeze in between two other people, especially for a 5 hour flight!
Agreed. Just please don't be like the guy on my last flight from NRT to IAH. He was very happy that as a Silver he had managed to upgrade to an E+ middle seat between me and one other person, from his aisle seat in E-. He definitely did not look comfortable.

For me, it would be a marginal choice between an aisle in a full E- row vs a middle E+ (but I would probably still stick with the E- aisle). If the E- seat was next to an empty middle seat, then it would be a super easy call to stick with the E- aisle.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Moot (for me now). When I checked in via my iPad, I was offered an upgrade for $1200.

I didn't bite.

When I checked in via united.com, it offered the same upgrade for $249. I bit.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:25 pm

Any aisle seat is always better than any middle seat.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Not necessarily. For a relatively short flight (90 min or less), I'll take a middle up in E+ over an aisle in E- because it'll mean that I'll get off the plane quicker. The flight won't be long enough for me to care about the temporary discomfort.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would take 7B or 7E on an Airbus over an E- aisle. (Though I might regret it if stuck between two persons of size.)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade
There is always a possibility that somebody will ask you to swap on the plane, but I have never heard of anyone being asked by an airline agent at check-in to accommodate other passengers' seating wishes.
It's happened to me a few times; generally they offer the same type of seat forward or back a few rows.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I also would disagree. I have passed over many a aisle seat in E- when I have had an middle in E+, and especially E+ exit row. When I am working on my laptop, the E+ gives me the option to use the tray table and not have the laptop in a V shape on my lap.

And if its an E- aisle in the back 6-8 rows, no way in hell would I give up any E+ seat...when that bathroom line forms, any advantage of having access to the aisle falls way below the midsections thrown in your face as people squeeze by you.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JC5280
I also would disagree. I have passed over many a aisle seat in E- when I have had an middle in E+, and especially E+ exit row. When I am working on my laptop, the E+ gives me the option to use the tray table and not have the laptop in a V shape on my lap.

And if its an E- aisle in the back 6-8 rows, no way in hell would I give up any E+ seat...when that bathroom line forms, any advantage of having access to the aisle falls way below the midsections thrown in your face as people squeeze by you.
I suppose for those who use laptops on board, the extra space is a benefit. I never use my laptop. Being airborne is one place I can disconnect from the "real world" and enjoy things more real: peace, quiet, a good book, writing a letter with pen and paper...

I also don't mind those standing in the aisle. What's bothering to me is having two elbows poking me from left and right and doubling the chances of sitting next to someone who wants to chat me up and having to climb over people whenever I wish to stand. For those like me, the aisle of the rear most row is preferable to a center even in the front exit row on a 757.

Feel free to switch with me whenever I am stuck in the center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.