Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why offer OLCI when it will fail - "documents need to be verified"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why offer OLCI when it will fail - "documents need to be verified"?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I never though about that, but you're right. If someone logs in and tries to check-in online for a flight they can't, UA.com should just respond as such at the beginning. Seems a pretty easy thing to do - for any other entity...

I-O-T, jumping the shark, piling on, me too...
For silvers you could move up to the economy plus seating by trying to check-in, but having it fail at the end. Otherwise you'd have to wait until getting to the airport, by which time you may have missed out on a free E+ seat.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
All flights to Canada, no matter where from or what airline, require passports to be checked at boarding (hence, at the gate). If AC isn't doing this (and I'm pretty sure they are...at least they are when I fly them), I'm sure Transport Canada will be interested in hearing why they are disregarding regulations.
We all know that, including OP. Every airline does that at the gate. That was not OP's complaint. UA apparently wouldn't even permit OLCI which then required a time-wasting visit to the check-in counter (at least an hour before departure to beat the deadline) prior to going thru security and heading to the gate.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Get your info in your profile and you won't have this problem. Welcome to FT.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
I have everything in my profile and never have had an issue using the app to check in (I have not tried international or super complicated trips with them yet). I tried the website check in a few times and it seemed like a PITA and asked you a million more questions than the mobile app.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Get your info in your profile and you won't have this problem.
Go into your profile and do what?
I have all my info and still can't OLCI on an international trip.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
We all know that, including OP. Every airline does that at the gate. That was not OP's complaint. UA apparently wouldn't even permit OLCI which then required a time-wasting visit to the check-in counter (at least an hour before departure to beat the deadline) prior to going thru security and heading to the gate.
All good and well, except I wasn't responding to the OP. The post I was responding to, and I included the quote when responding so it should have been obvious, specifically referred to not wanting to have documents verified at the gate. AC is not going to skip this type of verification.

I understand the check in issue - my wife used to have this all the time on flights back to the US because of her PR card. It's not an issue anymore for the most part, but when faced with it in the past, we simply went to the check in desk and checked in there. Not a huge deal. I understand its not convenient nor optimal, however, these days, if this is the worst that happens on any given trip (no matter the carrier, let me be clear), I consider it a pretty good one.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Every time I fly UA now, and it's not much anymore, I get asked to check in online at the 24 hr mark like today for tomorrows' flight to the U.S. I go through all the pages, I give them all the details, the passport numbers, the expiration, the everything, the luggage details, tell them I fly without an infant and what not. Until I get to the final page and it returns this to me " Unable to check you in, verification needed". What the heck? Didn't they know this ahead of time? Just tell me that I cannot check in online because documents need to be verified. It's that easy. United, you are wasting my time!
So......stinking......true!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Get your info in your profile and you won't have this problem. Welcome to FT.
Wrong. It is in there, I confirm with agent over the phone, and still I don't get OLCI. Wife, with identical passport number (1 digit difference) and date Is allowed OLCI.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Believe it or not this was my readon to stop flying UA to Canada and start flying AC everytime possible. So I don't have to goto the gate to have documents verified everytime!
its still annoying how AC checks your ID on boarding, even on domestic flights. Whatever lol.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR PlatElite, Alaska MVP 75K
American does this too

When checking in on the first (domestic) leg of an international trip, AA would fail my OLCI because of Visa requirement. That meant I couldn't get on the upgrade wait list until about an hour before the plane took off. As a lowly PLT, never got upgraded.

The United app that lets you validate your Visa sounds awesome. Wish AA's app did that, instead of wasting time giving me a Sodoku puzzle.

(waiting for someone to tell me AA's app does it too
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Believe it or not this was my readon to stop flying UA to Canada and start flying AC everytime possible. So I don't have to goto the gate to have documents verified everytime!
Air Canada must by law verify your documents. They ask for a passport at the gate don't they. If you checked luggage they would ask for it there. On a domestic flight they ask for picture id.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by fuji8bit2

The United app that lets you validate your Visa sounds awesome. Wish AA's app did that, instead of wasting time giving me a Sodoku puzzle.

(waiting for someone to tell me AA's app does it too
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it allows you to verify a passport, but not a visa unfortunately.

In fact, even with a one year multi entry visa, they cannot check me in online or through the app even when the visa should be in the system from a previous check (though not sure whether they put the info in or whether they just verify it exists).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have always wondered this myself as to why the app does not tell you up front that for internatiional flights documents still need to be verified. That is why I do not check in 24 hours in advance for international flights anymore.

However, IME it has only taken me a few minutes to check in at the desk because scanning the bar code on my passport brings up all the information. After that the agents usually take care of the rest of the process pretty quickly.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
All good and well, except I wasn't responding to the OP. The post I was responding to, and I included the quote when responding so it should have been obvious, specifically referred to not wanting to have documents verified at the gate. AC is not going to skip this type of verification.
My apologies emcampbe. I indeed quoted the wrong post.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by SFO777
Go into your profile and do what?
I have all my info and still can't OLCI on an international trip.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Wrong. It is in there, I confirm with agent over the phone, and still I don't get OLCI. Wife, with identical passport number (1 digit difference) and date Is allowed OLCI.
Never an issue with OLCI, unless going to Argentina where they must verify reciprocity fee receipt, which is understandable. All my passport info is entered in my MP account, and pops right out and OLCI is quick & easy, whether using a desktop computer or my smartphone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.