Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why offer OLCI when it will fail - "documents need to be verified"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Every time I fly UA now, and it's not much anymore, I get asked to check in online at the 24 hr mark like today for tomorrows' flight to the U.S. I go through all the pages, I give them all the details, the passport numbers, the expiration, the everything, the luggage details, tell them I fly without an infant and what not. Until I get to the final page and it returns this to me " Unable to check you in, verification needed". What the heck? Didn't they know this ahead of time? Just tell me that I cannot check in online because documents need to be verified. It's that easy. United, you are wasting my time!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2014 at 1:11 pm Reason: please use a more descriptive title
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
United : Why do you screw with me every time I fly you?

Your time doesn't cost them anything, they don't care. And your entering all the information does save them time at check in so they can operate with fewer staff. They don't do it out of consideration or generosity, but rather self interest,
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Your time doesn't cost them anything, they don't care. And your entering all the information does save them time at check in so they can operate with fewer staff. They don't do it out of consideration or generosity, but rather self interest,

You're kidding right? United's is the most labor-intensive passport verification process of any airline that I'm aware of.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Boghopper
And your entering all the information does save them time at check in so they can operate with fewer staff.
5 out of 5 times which I had this happen the information I had originally entered during the OLCI process was discarded. So: No efficiency increase for UA, just plain "we don't care" or "we can't fix". It has been like that for many, many years...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I never though about that, but you're right. If someone logs in and tries to check-in online for a flight they can't, UA.com should just respond as such at the beginning. Seems a pretty easy thing to do - for any other entity...

I-O-T, jumping the shark, piling on, me too...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
They love you and want to be up front and personal.

My info is always in my profile and comes up with info. I fly a lot and still have occasions where I get the same. Just go with the flow.

Same as Pre-check. 99% on UA, 50% or less on others and just had a Maui-LAX-PSP flight whereby the LAX-PSP was marked TSA PC and the 1st leg was not. Things just happen.

Relax- UA can make your life more miserable (like my 7 hour delay of the OGG-LAX flight from 935pm to 258am).
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:44 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Believe it or not this was my readon to stop flying UA to Canada and start flying AC everytime possible. So I don't have to goto the gate to have documents verified everytime!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:50 am

Use the App to check-in, which now includes the ability to both scan & verify your passport information (vs having to type it in and then have it confirmed by UA staff), then you should be able to check-in (unless your travel requires a Visa). Or, on your return trip, scan your passport at a kiosk so it can store your info in your profile for future travels.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PropClear
Use the App to check-in, which now includes the ability to both scan & verify your passport information (vs having to type it in and then have it confirmed by UA staff), then you should be able to check-in (unless your travel requires a Visa). Or, on your return trip, scan your passport at a kiosk so it can store your info in your profile for future travels.
This.

On my last 2 intl trips, I was able to confirm my passport information and have it verified by the mobile app, was able to print boarding passes, etc.

Was quick and painless for the most part.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Long standing process from PMCO that UA picked up to waste your time like this... at least now there's the mobile app work-around.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cargojon
This.

On my last 2 intl trips, I was able to confirm my passport information and have it verified by the mobile app, was able to print boarding passes, etc.

Was quick and painless for the most part.
For international travel, I tried mobile app but it still doesn't allow me to check-in many times.

If you are waitlisted with GPU, you may get screwed if you are not allowed to check-in at T-24.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Every time I fly UA now, and it's not much anymore, I get asked to check in online at the 24 hr mark like today for tomorrows' flight to the U.S. I go through all the pages, I give them all the details, the passport numbers, the expiration, the everything, the luggage details, tell them I fly without an infant and what not. Until I get to the final page and it returns this to me " Unable to check you in, verification needed". What the heck? Didn't they know this ahead of time? Just tell me that I cannot check in online because documents need to be verified. It's that easy. United, you are wasting my time!
Most of the stuff should be in your profile (if you've entered it). Otherwise, the only time I've had a problem in the past year is when an agent entered my first name with an extra letter in the reservation.

You can use the mobile app to check in also.

Last edited by StingWest; Dec 15, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992
For international travel, I tried mobile app but it still doesn't allow me to check-in many times.

If you are waitlisted with GPU, you may get screwed if you are not allowed to check-in at T-24.
When were the times you failed with the app?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Believe it or not this was my readon to stop flying UA to Canada and start flying AC everytime possible. So I don't have to goto the gate to have documents verified everytime!
All flights to Canada, no matter where from or what airline, require passports to be checked at boarding (hence, at the gate). If AC isn't doing this (and I'm pretty sure they are...at least they are when I fly them), I'm sure Transport Canada will be interested in hearing why they are disregarding regulations.

Check in is one thing. I've heard of some pretty silly reasons for switching carriers, but switching to an another airline that must follow the same check passport at the gate routine seems like it would make it to the top of that list.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee
Originally Posted by PropClear
I second this reply. Had the exact same scenario where .bomb said "sorry, no on-line check in for you" after >15 minutes of laborious data entry. The passport scanning option on the App worked like a charm, even for the lap child (assuming you have a US passport for the little one).

If, like me, you had been wondering why the United app asked for permission to use your smartphone's camera upon installation from Google Play or the App Store, the passport scanning functionality is the reason/culprit.

Last edited by flatlined; Dec 15, 2014 at 1:10 pm Reason: Fat fingers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.