Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many inflight announcements made

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by 787fan
Try China Airlines (CI) between TPE and NRT. They're broadcasted in English, Japanese, Chinese Mandarin, and Chinese Taiwanese
Same with BR to or from a non English/Chinese destination.

Seams like the "Duty Free" and landing announcements start about 30 minutes after the post-takeoff announcements are complete.

I do agree that too much "routine" background talk chatter reduces the information value of a real announcement.

How many of us are now tuned to ignore this stuff?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
I dunno; I've taken plenty of flights where the announcements went on for at least 10-15 minutes after takeoff. Back in the days when we actually had a good chance of Channel 9, this was really annoying, as it meant missing out on the most interesting portion of the flight from an ATC perspective.

The worst are the people who keep the mike on but don't talk for long periods, like they're trying to remember what to say or something. "United security policy requests that you please use the bathrooms in your ticketed cabin ... ... ... ... Please do not remove your seatbelts until the captain has turned off the seat belt light ... ... ... ... because there can be turbulence at any time ... ... ... we request you wear your seatbelts at all time ... ... After we have completed our climb, we will be offering a beverage service ... ... beer, wine, and cocktails ... ... may be purchased in the main cabin ... ... please refer to your Hemispheres magazine ... ... for the selection ... ... of beverages on today's flight. ... ... ... ... We apologize in advance if your selection is not available. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Now, please sit back, and relax on our way to ... ... Paris ..." [Then after 15 more seconds of open mike, rinse & repeat in French.].

And don't forget the ever-present

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the flight attendants are here primarily for your safety,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:53 pm

o mikros

US law requires that the seatbelt sign be accompanied by an audible announcement. But the wise flight deck crews just say, "seatbelts" or "seatbelts, please."

The automated versions are so long, but they're also so loud! It seems to me that both the length and volume could be corrected.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
If that's the case,

1. You really will be annoyed by any TPAC flights from JL/NH/UA/AA/DL/CX/SQ/AC/KE/OZ/TG. Pick any:

AA DFW-HKG -> English, Cantonese, Mandarin
JL ORD-NRT -> Japanese, English, Mandarin
TG BKK-HKG -> Thai, English, Cantonese

2. I would have been annoyed every time I go international.

Learn to adapt. It's for safety measure. As the others mentioned, perhaps a noise canceling headset would be more appropriate. Also, think about the other side, what if the announcements are not in made in your mother tongue or second language.
I don't think that is accurate.

JL ORD-NRT - > Japanese, English
TG BKK-HKG -> Thai, English, Cantonese, Mandarin

I've never seen it go over 4 languages though.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
I must say that while the announcements might be good information for new flyers, I personally always thought UA made announcements much too often. I understand that other airlines might be worse, but since I fly primarily UA, my comment would be that I really do wish they stopped announcing as often as they do on the planes.

I do remember as a new flyer though that the announcements (except for the safety presentation) never made me more informed of anything I wanted to know.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
On OZ and NH the announcements in English take about 3x as long as they are in Korean or Japanese. With lots of the long pauses.

Fly UA via BRU and you'll get THREE languages.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:34 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Wow. I thought I was the only one who found the incessant announcements annoying. I recently counted 15 pre-departure announcements IAD-ZRH UA. Then I counted 3 ZRH-BOM on Swiss. The calming effect on the cabin was really noticeable. There are a number of studies that show that constant announcements increase stress. Indeed a number of airports have simply banned them in favor of a "quiet airport."

Regarding the "need" for the announcements, has anyone routinely seen someone clear the aisle when they reached their row after the "please move into your seat" announcement was made? I haven't.

I think the "more announcements = more compliance" is a U.S. cultural thing. I love that for at least 7 years now we've had a "special security announcement" to keep all bags under our control at all times. Not so special if it's been going on for 7 years.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by mduell
Some of the intra-Asia flying is so bad they basically never stop talking the entire flight.
I was going to say this . It's really painful.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't mind it when I'm on the ground, nor do I mind a little information about the flight from the pilots (especially as I have a little logbook I carry). I do mind it when I'm trying to watch a movie and they keep making it pause. Onc we're in the air, leave me alone unless it's important.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by manhattan92
I can't get over how many announcements are made on UA flights by microphone-hyper crew members. Recently I counted 8 pre-departure announcements on my Dubai to IAD flight. In addition, the announcements in English were repeated in Arabic. I mean, how many times should we be alerted that this is the flight to IAD and to get out of the aisles quickly, etc.? Are passengers so thick that they need to constantly be reminded where they are headed and to take their seats on an airplane?

After the mind-numbing pre-departure announcements came the in-flight announcements about seat belts, bathroom use, duty free, meals, seat belts again, customs forms, the weather, the window shades, the name of the purser, the pilots' hobbies and anything else that can disturb the peace of passengers on a 1 AM departure. After the umpteenth obnoxious announcement, the purser made one more announcement: "I will stop making announcements to let you sleep now[!]"

I compare the slew of announcements to the few and actually important announcements made on foreign carriers--I haven't heard of too many passengers on the wrong flight or forgetting to sit down on the foreign airlines.
Air Canada does announcements in a minimum of 2 languages ( english French) so a flight to Dubai would be 3.
LOL so trust me skip Air Canada. they also won an award for the rudest Flight Attendants.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by why fly
Air Canada does announcements in a minimum of 2 languages ( english French) so a flight to Dubai would be 3.
LOL so trust me skip Air Canada. they also won an award for the rudest Flight Attendants.
Is there really such an award? If so, how did Air Canada beat out Ryanair?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JC5280
"At this time, we have begun our final descent"... (theres only one descent)
Incorrect. Under the current ATC model, aircraft do not make one continuous descent. There are initial segments, intermediate segments, and final segments, each of which can include descents and periods of leveling off. ("Final descent" has a specific meaning, though it rarely corresponds to what the FAs describe as final descent.)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Personally, I don't mind when the announcements are made in several languages. While it does make for a longer announcement, I recognize that there are several passengers who probably do not speak English, and for their safety it is necessary. I do find when an announcement is being broadcast in three or four languages, the announcement for each individual language isn't too long. What really annoys me is when the announcement is made in English only and goes on and on and on and on and includes random extended pauses that further lengthen the announcement. (Actually another thing I find annoying is watching a safety video demonstrating how to fasten a seat belt and how to stow luggage after every single person on the flight has fastened their seat belts and stowed their luggage prior to the playing of the video. I always feel like asking if we can skip that part!!!)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
Personally, I don't mind when the announcements are made in several languages. While it does make for a longer announcement, I recognize that there are several passengers who probably do not speak English, and for their safety it is necessary. I do find when an announcement is being broadcast in three or four languages, the announcement for each individual language isn't too long. What really annoys me is when the announcement is made in English only and goes on and on and on and on and includes random extended pauses that further lengthen the announcement. (Actually another thing I find annoying is watching a safety video demonstrating how to fasten a seat belt and how to stow luggage after every single person on the flight has fastened their seat belts and stowed their luggage prior to the playing of the video. I always feel like asking if we can skip that part!!!)
Or you think....
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
One can hear the chime, one can hear the pilot's announcement - why is a reinforcement at triple the volume necessary?
Because even saying it in triplicate, people will still ignore crew instructions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.