Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many inflight announcements made

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
I dunno; I've taken plenty of flights where the announcements went on for at least 10-15 minutes after takeoff. Back in the days when we actually had a good chance of Channel 9, this was really annoying, as it meant missing out on the most interesting portion of the flight from an ATC perspective.

The worst are the people who keep the mike on but don't talk for long periods, like they're trying to remember what to say or something. "United security policy requests that you please use the bathrooms in your ticketed cabin ... ... ... ... Please do not remove your seatbelts until the captain has turned off the seat belt light ... ... ... ... because there can be turbulence at any time ... ... ... we request you wear your seatbelts at all time ... ... After we have completed our climb, we will be offering a beverage service ... ... beer, wine, and cocktails ... ... may be purchased in the main cabin ... ... please refer to your Hemispheres magazine ... ... for the selection ... ... of beverages on today's flight. ... ... ... ... We apologize in advance if your selection is not available. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Now, please sit back, and relax on our way to ... ... Paris ..." [Then after 15 more seconds of open mike, rinse & repeat in French.]

Yes, the longer and more banal the announcements get, the more likely they are to be ignored.
The OP was referring to pre-departure announcements, at least in their first paragraph, and I doubt those would continue after take off.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Baze
The OP was referring to pre-departure announcements, at least in their first paragraph, and I doubt those would continue after take off.
Many of the pre-departure announcements are repeated after takeoff.

Originally Posted by benmacd
Why is that?
I'll bet their lawyers said they had to. It's all about CYA.

I find US airlines in general babble way too much.
I propose a new "law": Verbosity is proportional to the number of lawyers in a country.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Many of the pre-departure announcements are repeated after takeoff.

I'll bet their lawyers said they had to. It's all about CYA.

I propose a new "law": Verbosity is proportional to the number of lawyers in a country.
I must tune a lot of them out. I only seem to remember the ones that say stow your stuff and get out of the aisle being repeated numerous times as people are boarding. That's what I thought the OP was referring to. The ones during taxi and take off and inflight seem to only be said once (maybe repeated on international in another language) and I don't count seatbelts announcements as you can never tell how many times those will be said, depends on conditions. So maybe I am misunderstanding the OP's post. And the mods changed the title to include inflight, not the OP's original title.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
I must tune a lot of them out. I only seem to remember the ones that say stow your stuff and get out of the aisle being repeated numerous times as people are boarding. That's what I thought the OP was referring to. The ones during taxi and take off and inflight seem to only be said once (maybe repeated on international in another language) and I don't count seatbelts announcements as you can never tell how many times those will be said, depends on conditions. So maybe I am misunderstanding the OP's post. And the mods changed the title to include inflight, not the OP's original title.
My point was that there are too many announcements in general, especially pre-departure. I forgot to mention the Smisek video which presents its own hard to bear issues of self-praise and aggrandizement especially when you are traveling on a 20-year old aircraft with no wifi that has been delayed for 2 hours for mechanical reasons.

I would just be thankful for a few necessary announcements and a more tranquil cabin both before and after takeoff. Some here seem to tolerate the multiple announcements better than I do.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I hear more announcements on United than any other airline domestically. They really do not stop talking.

Not to mention the DTV announcements. Even the boarding announcements could use some condensing.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
While the inflight announcements on UA seem to drone on and on, take a flight on BR or CX. Each announcement made is translated into Mandarin and then into their respective dialects. For a native speaker of Mandarin and their respective dialects like myself, it means I have to listen to the same line repeated 3 times. For me, UA announcements are a cakewalk.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Lots of filler words, long pauses.
Completely agree! Lots of fluff. Especially when its translated in to another language. Lets start a list:

1. "We do ask"...
2. "At this time, we ask you to"...
3. "At this time, we have begun our final descent"... (theres only one descent)
4. Please switch your personal devices, such as smartphones, ereaders, tablets... (remember when they used to say "blackberries, blueberries, and whatever berry you might have...?)

I havent found this unique to UA though. Heard it on other carriers. Have you ever heard the announcements in ORD?

"If you are planning to travel with liquids, remember 3-1-1..." Ummmmm, I am beyond the checkpoint. Anything I am planning to travel with, I am traveling with now.
gotmilk8 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
While the inflight announcements on UA seem to drone on and on, take a flight on BR or CX. Each announcement made is translated into Mandarin and then into their respective dialects. For a native speaker of Mandarin and their respective dialects like myself, it means I have to listen to the same line repeated 3 times. For me, UA announcements are a cakewalk.
Haha very true, BR and CX having to distinguish themselves by "going local". Same goes for most Asian airlines bound for Mainland China, you get English, Mandarin, and Thai/Bahasa/Vietnamese/Korean/Japanese (depending on carrier).
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Haha very true, BR and CX having to distinguish themselves by "going local". Same goes for most Asian airlines bound for Mainland China, you get English, Mandarin, and Thai/Bahasa/Vietnamese/Korean/Japanese (depending on carrier).
At least you're not on AC to HKG with announcements in English, French, Cantonese, and Mandarin!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by manhattan92

the announcements in English were repeated in Arabic.
That's not bad at all. If you've been on Air China you would realize that they make the wrong annoucement in English and end up making an follow-up announcement to say what they actually meant to say. (without saying they screwed up)

After the flight attendants called preparation for landing 1 hour before landing, they made 6 announcements telling people to not get out of there seat. Including the "do not take your baby to the galley", even AFTER the pilot announced flight attendants please be seated for arrival.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:56 am

I find no value in the "Please step in to your row" repeated announcements during boarding. I don't think anyone listens, but I know that the crew has to read it right out of the book. Although it's sound advice to tell passengers to hold on to their coats and place them in bins on top of suitcases, nobody pays attention.

I also think it's crazy to announce the option to purchase Economy Plus seats when the flight is full anyway.

The airlines all do it, but I get annoyed because hear the same message so many times. "We'd like to extend a special welcome to our MileagePlus members..." United is not alone by referring to itself as a "founding member of the Star Alliance," it makes them sound like they were on the Mayflower.

United has at least piped down about its "security policy." I still here some s-UA crews talk about "United's new enhanced security regulations," but most stick to the quicker version in the standard script.

The DirectTV ads will go away as DirectTV goes away, but how many times to I have to hear, "I love having a free checked bag?"

As others have mentioned here, the best flight deck crew just say, "Seatbelts, please" instead of a lengthy announcement from the cabin crew or a blaring automated "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!"

But the most annoying to me isn't from United. It's the government-mandated "The TSA has limited items that may be carried past a security checkpoint." Why on earth is that announcement made in sterile areas of the airport? If you're already there, you either snuck the forbidden item past the TSA, or you bought it in the sterile area of the terminal. So there is no point to have a repeated announcement.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mats

As others have mentioned here, the best flight deck crew just say, "Seatbelts, please" instead of a lengthy announcement from the cabin crew or a blaring automated "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!"

But the most annoying to me isn't from United. It's the government-mandated "The TSA has limited items that may be carried past a security checkpoint." Why on earth is that announcement made in sterile areas of the airport? If you're already there, you either snuck the forbidden item past the TSA, or you bought it in the sterile area of the terminal. So there is no point to have a repeated announcement.
Completely agree on both these points.

The automated announcements are particularly annoying - they're louder and more intrusive and still manage to mangle the language.

As for all the ridiculous canned announcements at airports - they just make people tune out to all announcements, whether they are important or not.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't mind the pre-departure announcements at all - it's the never ending stream after takeoff that becomes tiresome.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Totally agree with the OP. As a primarily AA flyer, the difference between the announcements (not to mention a whole lot else) on AA versus UA is very noticeable. On AA aircraft equipped with televisions, the announcements are done via video, and FA announcements are kept to a minimum. The announcements are very classy, professional, and well-produced...unlike on UA, where the FA's are often yelling at passengers barely awake at 6AM. Combined with AA's boarding music and pleasant scenery interspersed on the overhead screens...the boarding experience is way calmer on AA...and yet, still, somehow, AA boards a 737 in <30 minutes, unlike the 35 minutes allotted on UA.

And, don't even get me started on UA's endless stream of commercials post takeoff. UA is truly a classless airline and far from premium.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:14 am

I understand the need for announcements about seatbelts, overheads, aisles, meals, flight info, etc.

Any announcement for duty free or credit cards is what gets me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.