Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG - EWR - SFO flight change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

CDG - EWR - SFO flight change

Hi everyone - I'm looking to fly from CDG - SFO on Tuesday the 16th w/ a saver award in BF, and right now my only option is to fly CDG-EWR-SFO w/ a 17 hr layover in EWR. I have no plans to do that, but if I did book that flight,
once I arrived in EWR, would I have a good chance at being put on a sooner flight? Also, do saver awards usually pop up at the last second or at even at check-in at the airport? I'm already on the CDG-SFO flight in E+, but am hoping a BF saver award may open up as there are a bunch of BF seats open on that flight. If anyone has any insight from past experiences, that would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Chances of getting onto another flight on same day are pretty good, although your choice of seat my be limited. UA won't put you on one unless you ask. On arrival, just go online or to a kiosk on arrival and check your options when you select "change flight". There's a couple of non-stops to SFO after CDG flight. I wouldn't count on saver award opening up. There's only 16 BF seats and I bet there's a waitlist for the empty ones.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may standby for an earlier flight for $75 and be eligible for any open seat. It is more likely that fares go up (including for awards) than down, as people who book last minute pay walk-up fares. But, it could happen.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There's massive amount of BF Saver (I) space on 12/16 if you want to switch now

Or you can get economy (X) on the nonstop CDG-SFO (and it looks good for I space to open eventually)

Or if you can go on 12/15, you can get saver BF on the nonstop
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
IIRC, you can also wait list at booking for I inventory on a different flight with a shorter connection?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
There's massive amount of BF Saver (I) space on 12/16 if you want to switch now

Or you can get economy (X) on the nonstop CDG-SFO (and it looks good for I space to open eventually)

Or if you can go on 12/15, you can get saver BF on the nonstop
Thanks for the response. I'm currently booked in X for the 12/16 flight, but can't do the 12/15 flight (I'm in northern France at the moment and won't make it back down to Paris until the night of the 15th). When you say that there's a massive amount on the 12/16, do you mean on just the CDG-EWR segment?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Chances of getting onto another flight on same day are pretty good, although your choice of seat my be limited. UA won't put you on one unless you ask. On arrival, just go online or to a kiosk on arrival and check your options when you select "change flight". There's a couple of non-stops to SFO after CDG flight. I wouldn't count on saver award opening up. There's only 16 BF seats and I bet there's a waitlist for the empty ones.
If I'm currently booked in X, can I call and be wait listed for a space in BF (is it J?) and if the saver award opens, I'll automatically be upgraded? I'm not sure how the wait list works...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
At a glance, the inventory looks like this (as a 1K):

The non-stop is only open in X.

Only the CDG-EWR-SFO with 17 hours layover shows in Saver BF, but if you search by segments, you can get CDG-EWR-DEN-SFO or CDG-EWR-LAX-SFO. (though EWR-LAX will be in Y).

On partners (unfortunately 70K v. 57.5K), you can fly CDG-FRA-SFO.

I'd book the CDG-EWR-DEN-SFO flight now, and waitlist EWR-SFO direct on two different flights.

If you're already booked in X, you cannot waitlist for BF - you need to book in BF.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aacharya
I'd book the CDG-EWR-DEN-SFO flight now, and waitlist EWR-SFO direct on two different flights.
This may take multiple calls. Recently, I've had agents claiming you can only waitlist for a single flight on an award.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
At a glance, the inventory looks like this (as a 1K):

The non-stop is only open in X.

Only the CDG-EWR-SFO with 17 hours layover shows in Saver BF, but if you search by segments, you can get CDG-EWR-DEN-SFO or CDG-EWR-LAX-SFO. (though EWR-LAX will be in Y).

On partners (unfortunately 70K v. 57.5K), you can fly CDG-FRA-SFO.

If you're already booked in X, you cannot waitlist for BF - you need to book in BF.
Thanks for all the info! Surprisingly, as Silver, I can see all the same options, although I didn't think to do CDG-EWR-DEN-SFO. Obviously that's a lot of connections for that route, but w/ the hope of clearing the wait list, I think it's worth the risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.