Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No entertainment 777 Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
The new UA system is the wave of the future for all aircraft. Hard-wired systems, are expensive to purchase & install, weigh a lot (weight = money on an airplane) and time-consuming to repair (taking planes out of service for repairs is a tough & expensive proporisiton).

The same thing is true for in-seat power.
Apparently not the wave of the future for DL and AA @:-)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Besides spotty entertainment and the absurd lack of in seat power, the arm rests do not go all the way up too! Hard to sleep with empty seats next to you as happened to me last night on flight 218 hnl to ord. We are simply cargo that pays Jeffy.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
I find it hard to believe that small monitors embedded in seats (PC's) are any more expensive difficult to fix than a high speed satellite based Ethernet system, with on board WiFi.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
The new UA system is the wave of the future for all aircraft. Hard-wired systems, are expensive to purchase & install, weigh a lot (weight = money on an airplane) and time-consuming to repair (taking planes out of service for repairs is a tough & expensive proporisiton).

The same thing is true for in-seat power.
Depends on who you ask. The guys making the system UA is using on the 737s (Thales/LiveTV) are on record as saying they think it is possible to produce an in-seat product which is light enough and cheap enough that it can cover its costs through "partnerships" (read advertising & ancillary revenue from on-board sales).

Originally Posted by Morse
I find it hard to believe that small monitors embedded in seats (PC's) are any more expensive difficult to fix than a high speed satellite based Ethernet system, with on board WiFi.
The IFE system doesn't need the satellite bits; it only uses the on-board server. And that hardware is basically the same as what the in-seat AVOD system would need anyways. After that the difference is whether you wire a few WiFi APs or run cabling to every seat. Not hard to believe the former is cheaper than the latter.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Did it offer to put you on the upgrade list and then offer the person next to you gain access to the system for tens of dollars?

Do they have an android version of the app yet? You need the app.

-David
Nice!!

I always make sure I have the latest Economist mag downloaded
Seriously - granted the read is certainly entertaining at least....you can get a copy of the NYP for free with the Economist too...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
I don't mind the streaming IFE system, as long as it works. That said, I really wish I didn't have to pack extra power for long flights; at seat power would make the whole thing a lot more straightforward.

And yes, the android app now supports streaming IFE.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are really two issues here which keep getting confounded:

1. Personal device streaming replacing seat-back entertainment;

2. The implementation and functionality of the UA system.

I have no problem with No. 1. No. 2, however, has been handled quite poorly. The lack of in-seat power is ridiculous and the system is unreliable. And it's taking UA too long to resolve these issues. It was quite obvious from the FA's many announcements on my recent HNL flight that they are dealing with scores of pissed off pax on every flight.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
As just mentioned, there was a form of entertainment available on the flight through personal devices (assuming you flew yesterday). So to say there was no entertainment is not correct (though it might appear that way if you didn't have your own device with you).

For domestic flights, this will be the future of IFE...UA is installing this on more of their planes, as is DL (and WN, I believe).
No, the OP was correct in saying UA provides no entertainment. Saying there is because there is WiFi is like going to a hotel and having them say there is cable in your room but you have to bring your own TV. To expect families and others to lug not only personal devices but backup batteries as well is ridiculous, and just another classic United "enhancement" gone bust.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
No, the OP was correct in saying UA provides no entertainment. Saying there is because there is WiFi is like going to a hotel and having them say there is cable in your room but you have to bring your own TV. To expect families and others to lug not only personal devices but backup batteries as well is ridiculous, and just another classic United "enhancement" gone bust.
I bet WN flyers would say the similar system they have is entertainment.

The fact is the OP claimed UA offered no entertainment on the flight, yet this is seemingly not true. If they didn't have the equipment to view it, it's a bit of a different story - it means the OP couldn't access the entertainment, but not that UA didn't offer it. there at all.

UA advertises personal device entertainment (I've even seen signs in the airport) and the flight status tool specifically says if the flight has it, specifically calls it "personal device entertainment" service, and even specifies the type of devices it works with. Can't get much clearer than that. You can surely debate about the content or quality, whether there should be a source to power up your device in the aircraft, or other details, etc, but you can't argue it wasn't there, unless the OPs aircraft didn't actually have it.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The same guys who can't get the presentation of the TV picture right on equipment they've been fielding for 5+ years - you're left to choose between distortion or letterboxing and pillarboxing (reducing the display to about half of the screen area) on most channels I've tried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.