Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:22 pm

Trying to upgrade a flight (LH 773 on Jan 15) and getting this error:

We cannot process your request.
Inventory not available and no waitlist exists
Never seen this before. Any idea what’s going on?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sebi
Trying to upgrade a flight (LH 773 on Jan 15) and getting this error:

Never seen this before. Any idea what’s going on?
Extremely full flight. First is sold out. LH has closed the UG list. Try again, but this happens from time to time. With F0 not a particular good chance anyway
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:02 am

Flying Germany-US next week, booked in United K class. Need to change to LH flight, given some schedule changes on my end. Online flight change only shows a choice of 2 S classes, one $300ish, one (fully refundable) $500ish.
Questions for the sages:
1. Is that S class LH class (I assume not)?
2. How can I "make" the choices to be an upgradable fare class (on LH, with United Pluspoints)? Need to call in?
3.Let's assume the 2 choices given are upgradable - does it make a difference in probability (to upgrade)?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
Flying Germany-US next week, booked in United K class. Need to change to LH flight, given some schedule changes on my end. Online flight change only shows a choice of 2 S classes, one $300ish, one (fully refundable) $500ish.
Questions for the sages:
1. Is that S class LH class (I assume not)?
2. How can I "make" the choices to be an upgradable fare class (on LH, with United Pluspoints)? Need to call in?
3.Let's assume the 2 choices given are upgradable - does it make a difference in probability (to upgrade)?
Coach fare classes track 1:1. You need at least Q-class to upgrade. Refundable and all of that does not matter for upgrades. Q is 3 up from S ... probably another couple hundred more.
If you want to do that you can select the specific booking class when re-booking either online or when calling. You CAN call and ask if they can price it right away as a LH-coded flight, that'll save you the flight number conversion step.
The higher the booking class the greater the chance for an upgrade. Q is the lowest you can go with.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thank you, cfisher. Looks like the odds for hobo first (well, business) are rather high, so will likely pick the lowest fare class available.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:07 pm

Has anybody successfully applied for an upgrade via the online tool? I have tried for 2 days, no luck. LH flight number, fareclass Q. Tried multiple browsers, usual answer from 1K desk "Lufthansa can do that for you". Error message: "We're sorry, we were unable to process your request. Either the system is currently unavailable or the website is experiencing heavy traffic. Please reattempt your request later".
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something seems to be really broken. I can't even get to the +P request form. Always asks me to log-in and then it goes to the mystatus page instead of the UG page. I can get to the page to upgrade with miles.

I'd try again Monday morning, sometimes the gremlins at UA mess up stuff over the weekend. I hope it is not broken again
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:05 pm

Yep, same here - I am logged in, then click on the link to the online form and asked to log in. It has been like this since Wednesday.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
Yep, same here - I am logged in, then click on the link to the online form and asked to log in. It has been like this since Wednesday.
o.k., I found a solution for that problem. When logged in on united.com, past that link into the browser: https://www.united.com/loyalty/partn...points/request

Hope that works - I have nothing on LH right now that is not already upgraded, so I can't test it all the way
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by cfischer; Jan 21, 2024 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 20, 2024, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
o.k., I found a solution for that problem. When logged in on united.com, past that link into the browser: https://www.united.com/loyalty/partn...points/request

Hope that works - I have nothing on LH right now that is not already upgraded, no I can't test it all the way
Awesome, works! Thank you so much!

(nextup -cfisher fixes the next UA IT problem. )
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Has anyone had problems with an PP upgrade on the outbound breaking the return portion of the ticket? It's a UA ticket, I successfully upgraded online to F on the outbound (after calling in to change to the LH flight#) and have already flown it. But now I have trouble changing the return portion. When I try to change online it returns no results on the desired (changed date). I called in and the agent seemed to have the same problem. I spent over 2 hrs on the phone with 4 agents and none of them were able to figure out what's wrong and they were never able to reprice. Since it was a simple date change and the same fare class was available on the same flights they ended up doing an "even exchange" which - as I understand it - just means reissuing the ticket without repricing it. However, I might want to do a bit more complicated change (adding an extra stop, but less than <24hrs, so hopefully no fare change, but I'm sure the taxes would be different). It looks like they have no problem changing the flights and reissuing the ticket, but they cannot reprice.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Has anyone had problems with an PP upgrade on the outbound breaking the return portion of the ticket? It's a UA ticket, I successfully upgraded online to F on the outbound (after calling in to change to the LH flight#) and have already flown it. But now I have trouble changing the return portion. When I try to change online it returns no results on the desired (changed date). I called in and the agent seemed to have the same problem. I spent over 2 hrs on the phone with 4 agents and none of them were able to figure out what's wrong and they were never able to reprice. Since it was a simple date change and the same fare class was available on the same flights they ended up doing an "even exchange" which - as I understand it - just means reissuing the ticket without repricing it. However, I might want to do a bit more complicated change (adding an extra stop, but less than <24hrs, so hopefully no fare change, but I'm sure the taxes would be different). It looks like they have no problem changing the flights and reissuing the ticket, but they cannot reprice.
The LH upgrade on the outbound should not have affected the inbound. What sometimes happen when they re-issue the ticket to have the native LH flight number, they mess up the 'pricing info' in several possible ways. For example my Saturday outbound to Europe now shows $4k for the outbound and $560 for the inbound (in business). The latter of course is complete nonsense, but I could see how that might mess things up if I wanted to make a change. The even exchange basically means that UA is not repricing it - happens all the time in case of invol changes. If you want to do a < 24 hour change I'd HIGHLY recommend trying SDC to get to your desired routing. You will need the same fare class anyway and SDC should still work.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:38 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Re: SDC/24 hours, be careful not to run afoul of the 10hr rule from departure time (re applying PlusPoints).
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by marks88
Re: SDC/24 hours, be careful not to run afoul of the 10hr rule from departure time (re applying PlusPoints).
What 10 hour rule?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:49 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by ryman554
What 10 hour rule?
Can't apply PlusPoints within 10hrs of flight departure.

"You can make upgrade requests for Lufthansa-operated flights beginning 331 days before departure until 10 hours before departure."

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...Lufthansa.html
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.