Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Just tried to request and got the same “we have a technical problem” error. Mad😡
please report it. The more we complain, the greater the chances this gets fixed
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Made multiple complaints. It has been a week now with no fixes. The issue is only with LH flights as far as I can see. No issues with ANA or Copa.

Now will United extend my Plus Points beyond 1/31/24 as they have been tardy in fixing their bugs?

Last edited by TravellingMan; Nov 22, 2023 at 7:49 pm Reason: Inadvertant misspelling of United
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
.... Now will Untied extend my Plus Points beyond 1/31/24 as they have been tardy in fixing their bugs?
Given there are three players involved in the request, UA, *A and LH, it is not always clear where the problem exists and if non-UA, how faster UA can push for it to be fixed.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given there are three players involved in the request, UA, *A and LH, it is not always clear where the problem exists and if non-UA, how faster UA can push for it to be fixed.
If that is the case, then why prop up this message to try after 15 mins? A bit of honesty will go a long way IMO after you have had this issue for multiple days now.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:30 pm

Day 2 for me. Same issue. Will try again tomorrow.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
If that is the case, then why prop up this message to try after 15 mins? A bit of honesty will go a long way IMO after you have had this issue for multiple days now.
Probably a generic connectivity error message. 15 minutes might be true many times but wasn't this time. It is hard to write good diagnostic code to separate the different cases.
This ability to use your upgrade certs on another airline is not a common feature and is probably implemented by a lot of non-standard interfaces (and less robust), The years have proven that. These shortterm issues typically occur a couple times a years for the last 20 years.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:13 am

I have flight on Saturday, Nov 25 (LH491 from SEA-FRA) that has been waitlisted for economy to business plus points upgrade for a couple months. There is a buy up offer to business on Lufthansa website so I believe there is available space. There have been a few minor schedule changes (slight departure/arrival time changes) but UA and LH say the upgrade request is in their system and I just need to wait to see if it will be processed or not.

Anyone have any advice? Should I continue hoping for this upgrade or change to a routing with better odds?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Gold
The issue has persisted since at least Saturday and got my next flight on Monday the 27th. Fingers crossed, they'll have sorted this in time for me to try and upgrade. Wasting 290 Plus points in January as it stands owing to the broken link/barely anything clearing despite 1K and Premium Plus on several occasions.

How do you even submit a complaint with United? Web chat is not helpful and the form requires me to tie it to a past reservation.

Last edited by Greg0rE; Nov 23, 2023 at 9:27 am
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by imackie
I have flight on Saturday, Nov 25 (LH491 from SEA-FRA) that has been waitlisted for economy to business plus points upgrade for a couple months. There is a buy up offer to business on Lufthansa website so I believe there is available space. There have been a few minor schedule changes (slight departure/arrival time changes) but UA and LH say the upgrade request is in their system and I just need to wait to see if it will be processed or not.

Anyone have any advice? Should I continue hoping for this upgrade or change to a routing with better odds?
When you check your reservation on LH.com you should normally see a duplicate, waitlist segment.

J2 P1 does indicate that there is only two seats left but they are not all that confident in selling them in the next 48 hours

You don't mention how much the buy up is, so hard to judge on that.

You also don't have any way to know who else has waitlisted using vouchers / miles / PPs / etc.etc.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There isn't necessarily such correlation. If you can re-route and get on a flight that is J9 rather than J2 ... sure, that can make sense.

Minor schedule changes don't mess with these upgrades.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:05 am

Thanks both! Buy-up cost is like $560 so pretty reasonable but would rather use PP!
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks both! Buy-up cost is like $560 so pretty reasonable but would rather use PP!
that's shocking given how full the flight is. That said, LH opened it up all the way to P and that is what the LH algorithm uses for upgrade pricing.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Gold
I filed a complaint about the Lufthansa upgrades (de facto barring me from using my PlusPoints with LH) and the challenges of clearing anything, even when traveling in Premium Plus as a 1K with United. In the complaint, I mentioned that it's super disappointing given that PlusPoints are one of the major perks of MileagePlus, which undermines the value of remaining with the Mileage Plus program. Particularly when considering that the points expire within a year.
I specifically asked them about an alternative way to request upgrades or at least extend the expiry and that was their response after a few hours:

Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Greg0rE
I filed a complaint about the Lufthansa upgrades (de facto barring me from using my PlusPoints with LH) and the challenges of clearing anything, even when traveling in Premium Plus as a 1K with United. In the complaint, I mentioned that it's super disappointing given that PlusPoints are one of the major perks of MileagePlus, which undermines the value of remaining with the Mileage Plus program. Particularly when considering that the points expire within a year.
I specifically asked them about an alternative way to request upgrades or at least extend the expiry and that was their response after a few hours:

Copy/past building blocks. You rarely get a genuine reply from UA these days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Copy/past building blocks. You rarely get a genuine reply from UA these days.
My response from websupport was along the lines of which OS and browser was I using when I got the error and the error message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.