Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

November 2014 United (UA) Traffic Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

November 2014 United (UA) Traffic Results

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You may not be aware, but the UA EWR-LAX/SFO flights are at pretty high artificial levels due to trying to drive VX out...as soon as they are, they'll drop back down.

And you do know yields for EWR are much poorer than LAX, right?
I hope you mean yields for EWR are poor than JFK. Don't know why you're comparing a NY airport to a LA airport. Might as well compare to CVG and XNA while you're at it.

AA at LGA is great, I'm not sure what you're smoking. it's 100 yards away from UA's concourse and is much, much nicer. Have you been in the AC there? It's fairly brand new...and after security.
Anyone who proclaims any terminal in LGA to be "great" hasn't been to real terminals like SFO A/G, YVR, LAX TBIT, LHR T2, HKG, ICN, SIN T3 etc.

Is that LGA AC better than LGA Amex Centurion Lounge? If not, then nothing to brag about.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2014 at 2:57 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
That is not a TOD. A TOD would be between $0 and $99, which UA offers frequently.
A $160 upgrade on a two segment PNR that is also a transcontinental flight for a guy with no status on DL AND a ticket that cost $159?

Hmmm... OK.

But if it was UAL that had this deal people would be up in arms.

Last edited by Sulley; Dec 12, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sulley
A $160 upgrade on a two segment PNR that is also a transcontinental flight for a guy with no status on DL AND a ticket that cost $159?

Hmmm... OK.

That pretty much sums it up. UA never get a pass for anything, while DL/AA are the "world's greatest gifts" despite their many significant flaws.

If you listen to their logic and extrapolate, DL can offer ONE single global upgrade cert and it would be superior to UA's 6 GPU + 2 RPU because "you can use it on any fare"
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
oneworld .... how's your SWU working at BA CX JL QR ? whooops you can't use on any of them.

Sooooo many oneworld airlines at JFK combined and NONE can get you nonstop to major business destinations PVG PEK TLV BOM DEL FRA AMS.

And what's the point of proclaiming about being a biz traveler? does that make your opinion more worthy than any other ?
I'm a biz traveler. Spin's a biz traveler. We somehow, some way make non-UA airlines work for us out of big UA markets. I just connected with thousands of other business travelers at LHR today, made very easy by Fast Track security and CX/BA F lounges (on a paid mostly-BA C ticket, where as a business traveler I don't need SWUs).

You're projecting what works and what doesn't work for biz travelers when you're not one yourself. Just saying.

So I'm now going to go back to enjoying my AA flight back from LHR into
NY's int'l airport (JFK), on my workable wifi, having quite good food and 8 different wines off of a printed(!) wine list, on a brand new 773 where I upgraded from C to F with my SWU on my one AA flight :-:
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sulley

Hmmm... OK.

UA would offer the same thing for $69. and people aren't up in arms anymore...we've just left. My CPU ratio is infintely better on DL as a nonstatus passenger than UA as a 1k. My Sticker % on AA as a platinum is infinitely better than UA as a 1k.

DL: 2/2 CPU with 0 status since I got SPG Platinum
AA: 1/1 sticker upgrade, and it was ORD-SFO booked 20 mins before departure (UAL reroute) - I also would have gotten IAD-LAX booked 20 mins before the flight, but chose not to apply the sticker since I had an empty middle exit row (and yes the plane went with an empty F)
UA: 160 segments this year, and maybe 10 CPU's and I think all were sub 500 mile flights. Many were cheap fares, but my work travel on WVQH fares also have not cleared for the most part
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Anyone who proclaims any terminal in LGA to be "great" hasn't been to real terminals like SFO A/G, YVR, LAX TBIT, LHR T2, HKG, ICN, SIN T3 etc.
I've been to pretty much all of them. US great is different from Int'l great. Within the US? I'd say it's pretty damn good.

Is that LGA AC better than LGA Amex Centurion Lounge? If not, then nothing to brag about.
Nothing in the US is better than the AmEx lounges. But the LGA AC IMO is better than any single UA lounge in the US, save for maybe the new ORD T2 lounge. But I'm guessing you haven't been to the AC, so you probably can't make the comparison.

I hope you mean yields for EWR are poor than JFK. Don't know why you're comparing a NY airport to a LA airport. Might as well compare to CVG and XNA while you're at it.
Sigh - a slip-up. But if you want to be pedantic, go right ahead.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
UA would offer the same thing for $69.
No, no transcon flight would be upgraded for $69.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

I'm a biz traveler. Spin's a biz traveler. We somehow, some way make non-UA airlines work for us out of big UA markets. I just connected with thousands of other business travelers at LHR today, made very easy by Fast Track security and CX/BA F lounges (on a paid mostly-BA C ticket, where as a business traveler I don't need SWUs).

You're projecting what works and what doesn't work for biz travelers when you're not one yourself. Just saying.

So I'm now going to go back to enjoying my AA flight back from LHR into
NY's int'l airport (JFK), on my workable wifi, having quite good food and 8 different wines off of a printed(!) wine list, on a brand new 773 where I upgraded from C to F with my SWU on my one AA flight :-:
Funny you bring up LHR, which just shut down their entire airspace today for hours. And I have no idea why you mention FastTrack because any J pax at LHR gets that ... not a BA/AA exclusive thing.

"You're projecting what works and what doesn't work for biz travelers when you're not one yourself. Just saying."

And you represent ALL biz travelers all of a sudden?

Zero nonstops to the world's 2nd largest economy and that's what business travelers want ?
TONS of slanted business seats while UA is 100% flat bed is what business travelers want ?
ZERO choice of airport for NYC-SFO/LAX is what business travelers want ?

Going to Paris? sorry, not flat bed 773. Going to Zurich ? sorry, not flat bed 773.

Nothing in the US is better than the AmEx lounges. But the LGA AC IMO is better than any single UA lounge in the US, save for maybe the new ORD T2 lounge. But I'm guessing you haven't been to the AC, so you probably can't make the comparison.
Not to THAT AC, but I've been to JFK T-8 Flagship Lounge and the regular AC just 2 weeks ago on a mileage award ticket, and both were quite meh. Nothing worth cracking a champagne for. Definitely below the level of BA first lounge at JFK T7.

And you're comparing apples to oranges. I'm talking about concourses and you're talking about lounges.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2014 at 2:57 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

That pretty much sums it up. UA never get a pass for anything, while DL/AA are the "world's greatest gifts" despite their many significant flaws.

If you listen to their logic and extrapolate, DL can offer ONE single global upgrade cert and it would be superior to UA's 6 GPU + 2 RPU because "you can use it on any fare"
I think all would agree that AA's 8 SWU's on *any* fare are far superior to both DL and UA. I'm looking forward to my 16 next year after I finish my execplat challenge and then 8 more when I cross 100k (without having to worry about PQD!) Now what to do with my 6 UA restricted GPUs that I'll get at the end of this year since I'm not flying them anymore. Trash can where they belong I guess.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny you bring up LHR, which just shut down their entire airspace today for hours.

And I have no idea why you mean FastTrack because any J pax at LHR gets that ... not a BA/AA exclusive thing.

"You're projecting what works and what doesn't work for biz travelers when you're not one yourself. Just saying."

And you represent ALL biz travelers all of a sudden?

Zero nonstops to the world's 2nd largest economy and that's what business travelers want ?
TONS of slanted business seats while UA is 100% flat bed is what business travelers want ?
ZERO choice of airport for NYC-SFO/LAX is what business travelers want ?

Going to Paris? sorry, not flat bed 773. Going to Zurich ? sorry, not flat bed 773.
Business travelers like reliability, which is not UA's calling card.

Business travelers also don't like UGs being sold out from underneath them when they're on personal, cheaper CPM travel (actually, that happens on UA on high CPM travel too for non-GS, what am I thinking).

Business travelers also like keeping the seat they've assigned, having functioning & widespread wifi, and edible food on board when they're coming late from work and don't have time to stop on the way. UA struggles here too.

Business travelers like the option to be routed to OALs when the S hits the fan and the home airline can't deliver. UA likes to push back on this.

Business travelers - it just takes one to know one. Don't know what else to tell you. @:-)
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

The topic is the monthly traffic reports -- not lounges / concourses / upgrade certs / .... while understanding they may influence carrier choices, that's not the topic of this thread and have otherwise been discussed extensively elsewhere. Future OT posts will be deleted.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
UA Oct 1, 2014 to Nov 30, 2014

On-time 77%
Late 8%
Very Late 4%
Excessive 8%
Canceled 1%
Diverted 0%
Source: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...airlineCode=UA

UA should be proud of these numbers! Proud, I say!

DL Same time period:

On-time 83%
Late 7%
Very Late 2%
Excessive 5%
Canceled 0%
Diverted 0%
Shocker!

I fly DL, UA and AA weekly and I can not believe how some on FT defend UA to the death. They simply do NO wrong, ever!

DL and AA's soft product and overall attitude of the employees blows UA out of the water (currently). If UA flies nonstop (mainline) and DL or AA do not - I'll fly UA. If not - it is DL or AA, sometimes even WN. I use on-time to measure this, as well.
I am on 8-10 flights each week (at least) - so I can tell the difference among carriers. UA needs to get it together and stop flying so many RJ's on long routes.

There is no excuse for these poor on-time numbers - month after month on UA years after the merger. Management needs to get it running as one airline. Period.

Have a great weekend.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For completeness, from the same data source

AA
On-time 77%
Late 9%
Very Late 4%
Excessive 7%
Canceled 1%
Diverted 0%
US

On-time 76%
Late 8%
Very Late 4%
Excessive 8%
Canceled 1%
Diverted 0%
US & AA seems to be about the same -- US had been better
Both basically tied with UA for the bottom of the majors.

Southwest
On-time 82%
Late 8%
Very Late 3%
Excessive 5%
Canceled 0%
Diverted 0%
Seems WN numbers are improving
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For completeness, from the same data source

US & AA seems to be about the same -- US had been better
Both basically tied with UA for the bottom of the majors.

Seems WN numbers are improving
Which tracks with the traffic loads - DL and WN seeing real growth, and UA and AA/US showing no growth.

Perhaps operational reliability does matter.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by halls120
Which tracks with the traffic loads - DL and WN seeing real growth, and UA and AA/US showing no growth.

Perhaps operational reliability does matter.
Operational reliability does matter.

So does timing, pace, operations, flexibility, position, direction, girth, rotation, turns, spins and the bottom line is on time performance.

It is a win-win for UA! And it gives a big ^ to both the passenger and the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.