Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

November 2014 United (UA) Traffic Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I guess this isn't all that surprising.

United Airlines said Monday that passenger traffic dipped slightly in November, as travel declined on its domestic flights.

United Continental Holdings Inc. said that passengers flew 15.28 billion miles last month, down 0.3 percent from November 2013. Domestic traffic fell 3.7 percent while international travel rose 3.6 percent.

The figures, which included United Express flights, were close to American Airlines, which said November traffic dipped 0.5 percent, but trailed Southwest Airlines, which posted a 6 percent gain, and Delta, up 5 percent.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...mestic-routes/
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by halls120
I guess this isn't all that surprising.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...mestic-routes/
Wouldn't we expect a seasonal increase in domestic travel? The gains at DL and Southwest are quite strong.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
Wouldn't we expect a seasonal increase in domestic travel? The gains at DL and Southwest are quite strong.
I believe Nov 14 is being compared to Nov 13 (thus, removing seasonality)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by embarcadero1
Isn't this one outcome of UA converting the pmUA domestic 767 and 777s to international service? Those birds have been replaced by smaller 739/738/320/319 on domestic transcons and many Hawaii flights.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
"The figures, which included United Express flights, were close to American Airlines, which said November traffic dipped 0.5 percent, but trailed Southwest Airlines, which posted a 6 percent gain, and Delta, up 5 percent. "

I am part of that 5%. Left United mid year for a status challenge on DL. Flew 14 segments on DL in November, previously would have been UA.

When UA switched to Revenue driven miles, there was no reason not to try DL. Thus far, the service is far superior to UA, and the free alcoholic beverages and amenities in Y overseas is icing on the cake.

I'll take older airplanes over, constant cost cutting, and many UA's employees (not all) who seem to feel like service if more of an inconvenience than part of their job..
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I don't see why we're singling out UA for this ... AA is down even more. And a good chunk of Delta's "growth" can be attributed to their (reckless) expansion at SEA domestically.

DL only increased LF from 79.4% to 80.6% (barely above UA's 79.9%) while international LF dropped 2.5pts from 80.6% to 78.1%, and latin regional LF *imploded* 10.4pts, from 81.1% to 70.7%

One positive arena is cargo. YTD, DL only grew cargo ton mile by a pathetic 0.8% while UA grew a very impressive 12.2%
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 787fan
I don't see why we're singling out UA for this ... AA is down even more. And a good chunk of Delta's "growth" can be attributed to their (reckless) expansion at SEA domestically.
How is it reckless if they are boarding more passengers?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
How is it reckless if they are boarding more passengers?
ever heard of a thing called operating margin ? who knows what these pax at SEA look like.

just because you board a ton of pax doesn't mean it's worthwhile.

By your logic, AA would have the worst financial performance since they showed the largest decline .... all while totally ignoring all the components that make up the income statement.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reason: snark, language
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:43 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

One positive arena is cargo. YTD, DL only grew cargo ton mile by a pathetic 0.8% while UA grew a very impressive 12.2%
Maybe they are categorizing coach passengers as cargo now. That would explain it
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
ever heard of a thing called operating margin ? who knows what these pax at SEA look like.

By your logic, AA would have the worst financial performance since they showed the largest decline .... all while totally ignoring all the components that make up the income statement.

DL has said their SEA operation is doing well, and they're looking to expand it further. That doesn't sound reckless.

DL has added significant aircraft capacity domestically, which is currently very profitable. That is likely the cause of DL's growth.

UA needs more domestic planes if it wants DL-style growth.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2014 at 2:16 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect mod edit
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Maybe they are categorizing coach passengers as cargo now. That would explain it
it's funny because it's (sadly) true

imagine the passenger density down there ... puts Ryanair 737-MAX200 to shame ... CASM king !
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Seattle managed to generate a 6 percent YOY increase in PRASM despite 25 percent capacity growth.

(http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2014/10/...-signs-emerge/)

Do you have a different definition of "worthwhile"? +6% PRASM despite a monster capacity increase sounds pretty worthwhile to me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2014 at 2:16 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect mod edit
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
That cant be it. they have to treat cargo with some care
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

DL only increased LF from 79.4% to 80.6% (barely above UA's 79.9%) while international LF dropped 2.5pts from 80.6% to 78.1%, and latin regional LF *imploded* 10.4pts, from 81.1% to 70.7%

Latin combined LF dropped to 79.6, hardly an implosion. The number you cherry picked was the Latin regional, which is a tiny portion of operations, despite almost tripling in size over the year.

If you want to cherry pick numbers, how about ones that count?

DL domestic mainline
RPMS +9.6%
LF +3.8%

Of course some of this was due to T-Day Sunday being in Nov this year, but I think UA had the same calendar.

Everybody should have been up this month by a few percent. I can understand the equipment issue with UA. Don't know what the story at AA was.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Regardless, financial results should be very solid for the 4th quarter due to plummeting fuel prices. Nothing like having your #1 operating cost drop by close to 40% to help the bottom line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.