Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Theoretical LAX-GUM nonstop aircraft requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

Say if for some reason, UA were to decide to launch a LAX-GUM nonstop, what plane in UA's fleet would be capable of handling it?

LAX-GUM comes in at 6089 miles, so that would rule out the 77A, and I'm guessing it'd rule out the 764 as well, could the 763 make it or would that be a stretch as well on the westbound leg? Would LAX-GUM only be viable on a 787-8 given that it'd probably be a long and thin route? Would there be enough demand to fill up a 777-200ER?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Say if for some reason, UA were to decide to launch a LAX-GUM nonstop, what plane in UA's fleet would be capable of handling it?

LAX-GUM comes in at 6089 miles, so that would rule out the 77A, and I'm guessing it'd rule out the 764 as well, could the 763 make it or would that be a stretch as well on the westbound leg? Would LAX-GUM only be viable on a 787-8 given that it'd probably be a long and thin route? Would there be enough demand to fill up a 777-200ER?
I doubt there's demand (passengers and cargo). UA is probably fine with routing pax thru HNL, and trying to get more F-paying passengers into that cabin. A LAX-GUM flight would cannibalize (a little) the mainland to HNL and (more so) HNL-GUM routes.

There's not a lot of options (none currently more convenient than via HNL) to Guam on other airlines, so UA doesn't really have incentive to cannibalize existing routes.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 9, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
5300nm still wind, figure about 5700-5800 nm ESAD westbound.

763ER could make it with a full pax load, no cargo.
764 could make it with almost a full pax load and no cargo.
777A could make it but with only about 240 pax and no cargo.

This is just using the Boeing planning docs. I'd guess you'd end up blocking a lot of seats with unfavorable winds, unsuitable diversion points, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
There was a lot of discussion about the possibility of an LAX-GUM direct flight before and right around the time of the merger. The prior discussion is found online in the pmCO forum as "LAX-GUM 777 Service"

I'm surprised the 777 couldn't make the LAX-GUM because I thought the distance was roughly the same as LAX-NRT.

Regardless, I think the discussion of this route was put on hold when the realignment of Marines went into limbo. This year's defense bill lifts restrictions on funds and major construction will really get going in the next few years. I think UA was serious about direct service because they had that flight prior to 9/11. Once more contractors get engaged in the build-up I think they'll see the traffic and not to mention traffic from Pendleton. I would expect them to look to the 787 though because of load factors etc....
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
787 is nice but isn't UA's config too premium heavy for a route like LAX-GUM ? they need something like AC's sardine can for this route
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I'm surprised the 777 couldn't make the LAX-GUM because I thought the distance was roughly the same as LAX-NRT.
ETOPS forces a slightly non-direct routing for LAX-GUM vs LAX-NRT. So, you can't compare the exact flight distance.

Not too many diversion points over the middle of the Pacific vs the Northern Pacific routing for LAX-NRT.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 787fan
787 is nice but isn't UA's config too premium heavy for a route like LAX-GUM ? they need something like AC's sardine can for this route
The current 777-Hawaii config has 32 premium seats whereas the 787-800 has 36 premium seats so, while not super scientific, Guam can handle that type of premium demand

Originally Posted by warreng24
ETOPS forces a slightly non-direct routing for LAX-GUM vs LAX-NRT. So, you can't compare the exact flight distance.

Not too many diversion points over the middle of the Pacific vs the Northern Pacific routing for LAX-NRT.
Gotcha. Didn't realize that ETOPS would make it take a longer route because the HNL-GUM route isn't all that weird but makes sense.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha. Didn't realize that ETOPS would make it take a longer route because the HNL-GUM route isn't all that weird but makes sense.
According to GCM, LAX-HNL-GUM is <300 miles more than LAX-GUM direct, but even the direct route appears to be well within the 777's ETOPS-180 certification.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Different 777.

Half of the longest routes in the world are flown by 777s, but the ones used by UA for its Hawaii routes aren't configured to do so (with extra fuel tanks, etc.).

Originally Posted by kale73
According to GCM, LAX-HNL-GUM is <300 miles more than LAX-GUM direct, but even the direct route appears to be well within the 777's ETOPS-180 certification.
Does that take into account the possibility of having to divert somewhere else if GUM is unavailable (due to a storm, etc.)?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Does that take into account the possibility of having to divert somewhere else if GUM is unavailable (due to a storm, etc.)?
Saipan is only 130 miles to the north, and has an 8700 ft runway which is plenty for a 777 to land, and plenty enough for a weight-restricted take-off back to GUM.

Rota International is half-way between the two and has 6000ft which might work too if you were really desperate...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
The current 777-Hawaii config has 32 premium seats whereas the 787-800 has 36 premium seats so, while not super scientific, Guam can handle that type of premium demand
My last flight GUM-HNL (UA200, on a Tuesday) had 1 purchased, 2 upgraded, and 29 non-rev in that cabin. Not sure that counts as "demand".
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
My last flight GUM-HNL (UA200, on a Tuesday) had 1 purchased, 2 upgraded, and 29 non-rev in that cabin. Not sure that counts as "demand".
ouch i hope that was not a typical flight.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I would love to see LAX-GUM be linked, then an increase into SE Asia markets within the 2500nm radius.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I flew back in October and the flight from HNL-GUM had only 3 non-revs so I think we can all come up with a variety of different examples. Only UA would have that data.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:12 pm

I live on GUM and UA's VP of Transatlantic and Transpacific Operations, Jake Cefolia, was here on a "listening" tour back in October. The questions was asked about a non stop specifically between GUM and LAX and his answer was that it was not in the immediate or long term plans, but that they're constantly evaluating route opportunities. I say scrap a non stop GUM to west coast flight for GUM to IAH as a number of travelers for GUM are federal government workers/contractors and even military personnel heading to CONUS for some meeting/conference/training.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.