Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA follow Delta's cabin changes incl. removing E+ at booking for gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA follow Delta's cabin changes incl. removing E+ at booking for gold?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by arctikjon
Only possible outcome is you would falsely fill E- sooner and maybe force a kettle or two into thinking they need E+ in order to sit together...
I seem to remember there being a Member of Congress who proposed legislation requiring that families be allowed to sit together on flights at no extra cost. The airlines better not trick people into thinking they have to pay more for E+ or else they risk being legislated out of having any E+ revenue.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Ha.. I think we have a better chance of UA dropping the PQD requirement then that of congress passing actually useful legislation against big money industry...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
If I can't get an E+ aisle seat at booking, I simply won't book that flight. This Gold and close to MM level won't have any reason to prefer UA. International lounge access is nice, but not nearly enough to compensate me for my aching back and bruised knees after a long trip in E-.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
UA can do this if they want, but I can't see the benefit to them. It's not like they'll sell more E+ to kettles. I mean, when I was a Silver I was 100% getting E+ at T-24, whether it was a TATL flight or a mid-con.

All it will do is continue to push the people like me who try to stick with UA despite all the crap over to AA/US. And God I don't want to move to AA even though I live in PHL.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
This is one of those things where you're just moving benefits around. Lower level elites on average get worse seats, but higher-level elites - especially those booking late who tend to generate the most money - get better seats.

If I were United I would definitely change the policy.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The free drinks are internationally and JFK-LAX/SFO only, but it's something that UA probably won't match. I bet they do eventually emulate DL w/ shorter Gold "free" window and pre-window discounts for Golds/Silvers. I'm sure a lot of of travelers (especially those traveling with others) probably would pay to sit together if a discount was offered to avoid the seat lottery.
The free drinks are on domestic flights 900 miles or more, so, for example, NYC-MIA would qualify
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Cargojon
UA can do this if they want, but I can't see the benefit to them. It's not like they'll sell more E+ to kettles. I mean, when I was a Silver I was 100% getting E+ at T-24, whether it was a TATL flight or a mid-con.

All it will do is continue to push the people like me who try to stick with UA despite all the crap over to AA/US. And God I don't want to move to AA even though I live in PHL.
Bad experiences with US? Were the E+ seats middle seats?

I'm cautiously optimistic that this seating benefit stays for AA Plats when the programs are fully merged next year. Even without a true E+ on US planes, it's still a nice perk to be able to select seats with them at time of booking up front. Right now it seems like AA is willing to differentiate their product from AA/DL, but we'll see how long that lasts. Personally, I'm glad I made the switch from the UA to AA, as even with lowly Plat status, I feel like I get a little more than I did as a Gold or Plat with UA. To the thread though, given where MP, or MileageMinus, is going and has been going, I can see our pals at Willis tower green-lighting the change and perhaps linking the state selection at booking 'perk' to the Chase Card or something like that.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cargojon

why? aa has so far been great!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Ssshhhhhh. Don't tell them about how much greener the grass is for the defectors.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Bad experiences with US? Were the E+ seats middle seats?

I'm cautiously optimistic that this seating benefit stays for AA Plats when the programs are fully merged next year. Even without a true E+ on US planes, it's still a nice perk to be able to select seats with them at time of booking up front. Right now it seems like AA is willing to differentiate their product from AA/DL, but we'll see how long that lasts. Personally, I'm glad I made the switch from the UA to AA, as even with lowly Plat status, I feel like I get a little more than I did as a Gold or Plat with UA. To the thread though, given where MP, or MileageMinus, is going and has been going, I can see our pals at Willis tower green-lighting the change and perhaps linking the state selection at booking 'perk' to the Chase Card or something like that.
95% of the time it was aisle seats in E+ (my preference). Once it was a window but that was during Irrops.

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
For now its primarily my EU travel and detesting connecting through LHR.

*eta thanks to mod for merging my failed multi-quote...

Last edited by Cargojon; Dec 8, 2014 at 8:57 pm Reason: Merge
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I actually doubt that UA will remove automatic E+ booking for Golds. With it being harder to qualify for Gold based on the newly increased revenue requirements, there will be fewer Golds. And with fewer Golds, there are more E+ seats that UA already can sell/upcharge.

IF UA were to preclude E+ booking for Gold, that would be a major devaluation of 1 million mile/Lifetime Gold benefits--and probably subject UA to a class action lawsuit since once one qualifies for Lifetime Gold, there is a legal assumption of continuation of comparable benefits.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I actually doubt that UA will remove automatic E+ booking for Golds. With it being harder to qualify for Gold based on the newly increased revenue requirements, there will be fewer Golds. And with fewer Golds, there are more E+ seats that UA already can sell/upcharge.

IF UA were to preclude E+ booking for Gold, that would be a major devaluation of 1 million mile/Lifetime Gold benefits--and probably subject UA to a class action lawsuit since once one qualifies for Lifetime Gold, there is a legal assumption of continuation of comparable benefits.
Doubtful they are worried about that - since they "won" the suit from PMUA MMs when they got rid of the two RPUs (Confirmed Regional at the time).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Sure, United will

...and probably a great way for United to distinguish a major difference between Premier Gold and Premier Platinum. A perk, which can reprogram you to book additional $2500 in booking and 25000 miles of additional travel.

Jiburi

PS- On my most recent flight, two people sitting E+ declined on-board late F upgrade, as E+ offered better leg room. There is definitely value in sitting E+ and some actually prefer it than F.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K
Doubtful they are worried about that - since they "won" the suit from PMUA MMs when they got rid of the two RPUs (Confirmed Regional at the time).
Changing benefits due to a merger between airlines is a different scenario than changing benefits due to simple policy preferences. The parameters of that RPU case and those with a potential post-merger United dropping a significant Lifetime Gold benefit would be quite different. A merger gives airlines an excuse to drop benefits that one airline enjoyed and the other didn't. That isn't the case here.

Again, I still doubt that UA would drop the automatic booking benefit for E+ for its Gold and higher elites. Until then, this is all academic.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
The free drinks are on domestic flights 900 miles or more, so, for example, NYC-MIA would qualify
Nope...the snacks are on 900+ mile flights in C+. The free drinks will be on all flights per what's been published by the company.
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
...Even without a true E+ on US planes,...
It is coming. The A319s are getting MCE starting soon and I would bet that other aircraft will be more than not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.