Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA follow Delta's cabin changes incl. removing E+ at booking for gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA follow Delta's cabin changes incl. removing E+ at booking for gold?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it will take the UA beancounters about 10 business days to copy and update the verbiage in the DL announcement to reflect UA/M+/etc, and push it thru the rubber stampers in Wacker.

expect the announcement at 4:45pm next Friday.

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
i think it's funny all the people threatening to leave UA if they change and this is the last straw. i'm sure UA thinks if you stuck w them this long, you're not going anywhere.
"the floggings will continue until elite morale improves"

everyone has their breaking point and it takes different things to make different people tick. the mileage devaluations were not overly impactful to me, but the horrible operational record were highly impactful and together with a lagging onboard product and surly employee attitudes, prompted me to leave.

there is grass on the other side of the fence. it's not greener for everyone but it sure has been greener for me so far.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Dec 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
i think it's funny all the people threatening to leave UA if they change and this is the last straw. i'm sure UA thinks if you stuck w them this long, you're not going anywhere. this devaluation for a gold is MUCH smaller than the mileage earning reduction or the huge award chart devaluation.
Disagree. I stayed with UA because I need to work on my laptop all the time (so E+ really matters) and because I take vacations with family in economy (so premium award devaluations mean nothing to me).

if they take away E+ for golds, that will be it. I will status match to AS. I think a lot of people who are not in "captive" cities who aren't already gone will be.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder
Geez I hope not, this will make Asia MR's unbearable
Does it make that much of a difference on international flights? I had researched this before, and it seems most thought the increase in recline wasn't that big of a deal, versus just getting a bulkhead/exit row.

(sorry, that was on a delta flight. i have never flown a united international flight recently and don't plan on doing it anytime soon)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Disagree. I stayed with UA because I need to work on my laptop all the time (so E+ really matters) and because I take vacations with family in economy (so premium award devaluations mean nothing to me).

if they take away E+ for golds, that will be it. I will status match to AS. I think a lot of people who are not in "captive" cities who aren't already gone will be.
this doesn't make sense to me.

the mileage devaluation (earnings cut for gold to 50% bonus miles) monetarily is worth WAYYYYYY more than the price of a 1 yr Economy plus subscription. so they cut the thing that costs more and you're ok. but they cut this which can be replaced for a small amount of money and you leave?

math:
fly 50k
old: earn 100k Miles
new: earn 75k Miles
25k mile difference

cut economy plus to 72 hours
purchase a subscription for what is it like $300/yr? (i'm actually not sure what it is)

Isn't 25k miles valued more than an economy plus subscription? maybe not. but if we use some 2 cent valuation then it would be $500. i can't imagine a Y+ subscription is more than that (do they discount it for golds? i i have no idea)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
The only thing keeping me loyal to UA was MM status hovering by the end of 2015, but now I'm not sure it's going to be worth it...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
well if they announce the change please do it this week so I can make the mileage run to hit 75k
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
No UA won't follow DL....they will make E+ for 1K's only and for Plat at 72hrs
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
All depends what UA is hearing from those booking close in at Y/B fares who are stuck in either E- or lousy E+ seats.

The real question is whether Golds would trade later selection for booze+cheap sandwich.
I'd rather have E+ seat selection at booking.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
purchase a subscription for what is it like $300/yr? (i'm actually not sure what it is)

Isn't 25k miles valued more than an economy plus subscription? maybe not. but if we use some 2 cent valuation then it would be $500. i can't imagine a Y+ subscription is more than that (do they discount it for golds? i i have no idea)
No discount for status and prices are higher then you are thinking.

Economy Plus® subscription
Domestic single passagner -- $500
Domestic -- all PNR passengers - $900
Global and all PNR Passengers - $1,100
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
As a matter of fact, DL's FO benefit has been enhanced.

Given the super devaluation of 2P, don't think it will happen.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
UA FAs have been pretty good to me. I rarely get charged for a box and with drinks they never ask me to pay. I pay once in a while (don't really mind it's on the company) and i received a book from UA with 20 drink tickets in January, I've only used 4. I can't even seem to give them away.

Horrible thing is the int'l flights how they don't offer free booze to everyone.
What, are you sure you are talking about UA? I have not ever received a free BOB, and I've probably had about 15-20 of them this year alone. I have a hard enough time getting a full can of diet coke from them, let alone free drink or food.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
it will take the UA beancounters about 10 business days to copy and update the verbiage in the DL announcement to reflect UA/M+/etc, and push it thru the rubber stampers in Wacker.
Let me save them the time and money:
MileagePlus 1K and Platinum members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class and will also receive complimentary access to United Economy Plus seats at booking. On March 1, 2015, Gold and Silver MileagePlus members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class as well as complimentary access to United Economy Plus seats starting 72 hours and 24 hours prior to departure, respectively.

Last edited by dank0014; Dec 8, 2014 at 2:38 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dank0014
What, are you sure you are talking about UA? I have not ever received a free BOB, and I've probably had about 15-20 of them this year alone. I have a hard enough time getting a full can of diet coke from them, let alone free drink or food.
+1. The last time I had a free BOB was a domestic GF flight ORD-SFO and I was hungry after the meal and they gave me some really really good snacks (chocolate crackers or cookies of some sort). That was probably 3-4 years ago. Never gotten a free BOB in coach (unless flirting w/the FA's and then they offer some food which has happened twice, but it was the end of the flight and they were just going to throw it away)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:50 pm
grt

... and if UA restricts E+, they will call it an enhancement. They are good at "doublespeak."
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
This would be a pointless thing to do... and would really have very little impact on anyone. Golds would still have access to to seats in advance of silvers and its not like there is ever a shortage of E+ anyway.

The only real downside is a Gold could not choose an exit row seat at time of purchase so they may get blocked out of those if they are their thing. But often enough many of these open anyway as higher elites or TODs clear.

A lot of belly aching here for something that really doesnt matter anyway. Besides I don't see how this would provide any benefit for UA. Anyone under the impression it will cause some large % of golds to pay up for E+ becuase I highly doubt it. Only possible outcome is you would falsely fill E- sooner and maybe force a kettle or two into thinking they need E+ in order to sit together... well I guess that's something. Even still the Gold would get a decent E+ seat.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by arctikjon
This would be a pointless thing to do... and would really have very little impact on anyone. Golds would still have access to to seats in advance of silvers and its not like there is ever a shortage of E+ anyway.

The only real downside is a Gold could not choose an exit row seat at time of purchase so they may get blocked out of those if they are their thing. But often enough many of these open anyway as higher elites or TODs clear.

A lot of belly aching here for something that really doesnt matter anyway. Besides I don't see how this would provide any benefit for UA. Anyone under the impression it will cause some large % of golds to pay up for E+ becuase I highly doubt it. Only possible outcome is you would falsely fill E- sooner and maybe force a kettle or two into thinking they need E+ in order to sit together... well I guess that's something. Even still the Gold would get a decent E+ seat.
I agree. A few years ago when I was a lowly silver I still managed to nab Exit Row most of the time at T-24. No E+ for Golds until T-72 would certainly be annoying, but I bet we'd (I'll be back down in 2015) still do pretty well.

As to your last point, my feeling is that if United thinks there's even $1 in it then they'll do it, elites be damned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.