Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Yeah, I got the first set of miles from Overstock. Subsequent purchases have received nothing. Just did a $500 order the other day, recorded my screen this time so we'll see. Doesn't seem to be any limits on the T&Cs
Old May 1, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
I think it's always been that way for VISA and MC, but for Amex, this is a recent change.
I don't think "always" -- but maybe "for a long time".

I remember that when I first signed up for MPX I tried my CSR for a $5 starbucks card to test it, and it didn't code as dining.

Then some time later I tried again with a similar small purchase and it did. I have no idea what changed.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tatoosh

Booked with hotels.com app on the 20th and it’s posted already. Was 5x when I booked but has since dropped to 4x on hotels.com. Still, 4 UA points and 3 UR points for the occasional hotels.com booking is pretty good.
4 UA miles is good for a shopping portal, but I'd rather buy hotels.com gift cards at a good discount and use those to pay instead of a CSR. For example, right now bjs.com is selling $100 hotels.com GCs for $85. Pay with a BBP and you get 2x MR. So then you have 15% off + 2x MR + 4x UA (MPX featured apps) + whatever other discounts you get (idk if bjs.com has a portal discount, but other retailers might).
Old May 2, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 808traveler
4 UA miles is good for a shopping portal, but I'd rather buy hotels.com gift cards at a good discount and use those to pay instead of a CSR. For example, right now bjs.com is selling $100 hotels.com GCs for $85. Pay with a BBP and you get 2x MR. So then you have 15% off + 2x MR + 4x UA (MPX featured apps) + whatever other discounts you get (idk if bjs.com has a portal discount, but other retailers might).
Depending on your travel habits this might be a good deal, but booking through hotels.com usually means that you miss out hotel points for your spend as well, and also status qualification.

I generally stay at Hyatt. With my globalist status I get 6.5 pts per dollar spent (5 base pts + 30% bonus) and 4 more pts for putting it on my Hyatt credit card. So, 10.5 pts per dollar. I don't want to get into a big discussion about points valuation, but, for my purposes, 2.5 - 3.5 c redemptions on stays that I'm going to make anyway are commonplace.

As far as status goes, the free breakfasts and waived resort fees alone are worth a few thousand dollars a year to me (even ignoring the other benefits I get) so those qualifying nights are worth a lot (stays booked through hotels.com are not considered to be at an "eligible rate" for purposes of status earning).

But if you don't stay at hotels enough for loyalty programs and elite status to have real value, then, I agree, what you are describing is a great deal. The point here is, there's a reason that hotels.com can be bought at such a discount -- the value of booking through them is much lower than booking through the hotel.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Depending on your travel habits this might be a good deal, but booking through hotels.com usually means that you miss out hotel points for your spend as well, and also status qualification.

I generally stay at Hyatt. With my globalist status I get 6.5 pts per dollar spent (5 base pts + 30% bonus) and 4 more pts for putting it on my Hyatt credit card. So, 10.5 pts per dollar. I don't want to get into a big discussion about points valuation, but, for my purposes, 2.5 - 3.5 c redemptions on stays that I'm going to make anyway are commonplace.

As far as status goes, the free breakfasts and waived resort fees alone are worth a few thousand dollars a year to me (even ignoring the other benefits I get) so those qualifying nights are worth a lot (stays booked through hotels.com are not considered to be at an "eligible rate" for purposes of status earning).

But if you don't stay at hotels enough for loyalty programs and elite status to have real value, then, I agree, what you are describing is a great deal. The point here is, there's a reason that hotels.com can be bought at such a discount -- the value of booking through them is much lower than booking through the hotel.
I totally agree with you. But poster Tatoosh said they use their CSR to pay directly for their hotels.com bookings, so i just wanted to inform them of a different payment method for hotels.com that could save them significantly more $$$.

P.s. i don't usually use hotels.com either. Usually stay at Hilton/ Marriott on points, and if a chain isn't around, I'll use airbnb.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by 808traveler
That’s a good deal but for businesses I don’t use very often I avoid gift cards. I don’t want a balance if I cancel. The recent hotels.com stay for me was a last minute emergency with a brand I don’t have loyalty with so 7x points was pretty good. I would certainly recommend other options if you use it more frequently.

For or almost every purchase someone has likely figured out a way that squeezes out a bit more value. I love to hear about them all even if they aren’t relevant because that technique may work for something else.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:04 pm

Looks like the Mothers Day Promotion has started, but it seems a lot weaker than some of the promotions in the past. I remember there being 10x gift cards for Gap/Banana Republic/Old Navy, but no longer.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Have been using MPX app flawlessly for several years now. Decided last weekend that it was time to do a periodic change of passwords (including my united account). Ever since then, ... can't get the app to process payment. I can successfully log into the app (shows my United mileageplus balance, etc.), ... however, when I try to process a GC payment, I get the following error message: "We're sorry - your transaction cannont be completed. Please email [email protected] for assistance."

I've deleted app and reinstalled. I've logged into my united.com desktop account and deleted all saved credit cards, and re-added one. Nothing seems to resolve this. Anyone else have a similar experience and any suggestions? I've traded emails with the customer service, ... and all I get is that they've escalated the issue. I have very low expectations that they're going to fix my issue.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by buckwg
Have been using MPX app flawlessly for several years now. Decided last weekend that it was time to do a periodic change of passwords (including my united account). Ever since then, ... can't get the app to process payment. I can successfully log into the app (shows my United mileageplus balance, etc.), ... however, when I try to process a GC payment, I get the following error message: "We're sorry - your transaction cannont be completed. Please email [email protected] for assistance."

I've deleted app and reinstalled. I've logged into my united.com desktop account and deleted all saved credit cards, and re-added one. Nothing seems to resolve this. Anyone else have a similar experience and any suggestions? I've traded emails with the customer service, ... and all I get is that they've escalated the issue. I have very low expectations that they're going to fix my issue.
Try changing your password on United.com (not the app). Make sure you can login with no issues then try the app.

TD
Old May 11, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Try changing your password on United.com (not the app). Make sure you can login with no issues then try the app.

TD
Thanks! Tried that and even deleted and reinstalled app again. Still getting the error. It's weird, I can log into the app fine and see the my mileageplus account details (saved credit cards, mileage balance, etc.), ... but when I try to purchase a GC, I get the error message. It's almost as if it is applying an old pw when I attempt to purchase the GC (and I don't get the option to change it).
Old May 26, 2019, 2:04 pm

I've been having trouble with the "purchase failed" error within the app. Is it possible to use the United Mileage Plus website to purchase e-gift cards to trigger the travel credit? (I'm using my PenFed Pathfinder that gives $100 travel credit annually). Or do website purchases not code as travel?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Starting with the last update on iOS, I get:
Error
eGift Cards is still loading. Please try
again little later.
-------------------------------------------------
Okay
Doesn't matter logging out and in again, the error remains.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckwg
Anyone else have a similar experience and any suggestions? I've traded emails with the customer service, ... and all I get is that they've escalated the issue.
I did have a similar experience, and it was exacerbated by having FaceID enabled. The symptoms were that it would continually retry the FaceID process and the purchase wouldn’t complete. (I eventually locked myself out of my MileagePlus account for too many failed logins).

I found a temporary solution: I had to sign out and then sign back in, explicitly, before making a purchase. As long as you have a valid session (i.e., you’ve signed in within the last few minutes), it won’t prompt you to sign in again during the purchase process.

The longer-term solution I found was to sign out (from the account page). I then had to disable FaceID in the iOS settings for the MileagePlus X app. I signed in successfully with the new password and then signed back out. I then re-enabled FaceID in the iOS settings, re-activated it in the MileagePlus X app, and signed back in again. Since I’ve done that, FaceID has worked properly, using the new password.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Hi, hoping someone can help.

Can't find this app in the Apple store (I live in New Zealand).

Was hoping to use Mileage Plus dining on a forthcoming trip to the US.

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Hi, hoping someone can help.

Can't find this app in the Apple store (I live in New Zealand).

Was hoping to use Mileage Plus dining on a forthcoming trip to the US.

Thanks
Does this link work for you?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ageplus-x.html

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.