Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UK "Registered Traveler Service" Does anyone know if United is supplying any codes?

UK "Registered Traveler Service" Does anyone know if United is supplying any codes?

Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum

I've just discovered the Registered Traveler Service
This is a UK program to allow holders of Australian, Canadian, Japanese, New Zealand, or USA passports to use the biometric, EU passport gates, or to use the EU/UK passport channels at LHR and LGW.

The website says codes are provided by the UK Border Agency, and by airlines.

Does anyone know if United is supplying any codes?

https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS/2M Miles, AA 1M Miles
UK Trusted Traveler Program - NEW

Just got invited to a new UK trusted traveler program by UA. It's a trial program so UA will have to give you a unique code to register for the program. If approved it would allow me to use the ePassport lanes rather than cattle queue. Certainly helpful.

Not surprising that the UK is finally opening up their trusted traveler program to the US since Global Entry started to trial UK citizens much earlier this year.

I'll keep everyone posted as the program develops.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Yes, its called Registered Traveler, and there's a good thread on it in the BA forum!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...sitors-uk.html

I've been a member for about 9 months - to ensure the most benefit one must have a biometric passport.

Last edited by StingWest; Dec 16, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
I was invited to do the same - applied middle of last week and got a response by Friday that I was accepted to the program. Looking forward to exercising this on my trip back next January!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: United 1K
Is there a way to request this from United?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by laughinlab2001
I was invited to do the same - applied middle of last week and got a response by Friday that I was accepted to the program. Looking forward to exercising this on my trip back next January!
If this was your initial application, you may need to go through normal immigration one more time to advance from Stage one to Stage two before you can use it. If accepted, and you have a biometric passport, you can use the E-Gates. If older passport, you can use the UK and Euro-zone lanes, but this may be no faster than the "other passport" lanes.

I'm basing this on the trial, of which I was a part. It may now be changed since airlines are issuing invites. Your letter from "Gov.UK" will have more definitive information.

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Ah, just checked, apparently they've completed the trial phase (which was free) and on to the real service. Now it is 50/year and it seems you have to get a code from the airline. So, my answer is now "I don't know" about requesting an invite from UA

This post, from the BA forum, seems to indicate that UA isn't yet able to issue many of the invites, and may be restricting them to only GS members who fly there often:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23975892-post287.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 6, 2015 at 11:21 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: UA
I’m all set up with the program and even have the card. Here is what I ended up doing:
After passing through immigration and customs at Heathrow T2 (via United Airlines) go to the Information Area. Look for the large sign that say “Border Force” and pick up the red phone under the sign. (Guessing this will work at all terminals. You can all do this when leaving Heathrow…just go down to arrivals before going through security.) You will be connected directly to an Officer. Asked them for an invitation code for the program. Or ask to get the invitation code from the officer when going through immigration…they did not have them the one time I asked.

Go to: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller to start the process.
Submit the application and pay 50GBP
I got an email back asking for proof of how many times I travel to the UK. I sent them .PDF scans of my passport stamps.
I got an email back that I was approved pending a final check by a Border Force Officer. I needed to print the email they sent me and bring it the next time I came to the UK. I had to go through the normal immigration queue (Fast Track for me) and I showed the officer the printed email. We had a little chat and he gave me a card and wrote my member ship number on the back.
The next day I got the following mail:
You have been accepted as a member of the Registered Traveller Service.
Please allow 48 hours from receipt of this email (so we can update our system). Then you will be able to:
• use the ePassport gates at Heathrow and Gatwick (if you have a biometric passport).
• use the UK/EU queues at Heathrow.
• use the special lanes for Registered Travellers at Gatwick
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Yes. I received an email from a third party (also in Willis Tower, Chicago) saying that GS recommended me for the program. I confirmed my interest, they provided a code, I enrolled, and got my card when I went to LHR.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:53 am

Message from 1K Line

Ive received your email from a colleague regarding your interesting in the UK Pilot program of Registered Traveler.

Unfortunately at this time we do not have an invitation code to extend to you however Ive added your name to a waiting list should United Airlines receive additional codes from the UK Authorities.

We were issued a very limited number of codes initially however we have put in a request for additional codes and will extend one to you should they become available.

Thank you for your business and Happy Holidays.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I e-mailed MP asking for one - as I mentioned in the post StingWest linked, UA not only took a week to reply, but went out of their way to tell me that they had codes but weren't going to give me one. (Given my poor rate of response on UA - I had two issues to 1K Voice involving paid int'l F flights go completely unanswered - perhaps UA feels I should be grateful I got a reply at all.)

In the BA thread, FT'ers mentioned stacks of invites being available at immigration and at BA lounges, so perhaps the same is true at the UA terminal and lounges. You could also ask someone you know passing through LHR to pick one up for you. I will be going through LHR at the end of January and will pick up a bunch to distribute to FT'ers. (You would think UA would just have an employee get a bunch of these.)

Additionally, if you are BA Gold, call the UK Gold line (don't call the USA one - they won't know what you're talking about). BA ran out of codes for a short period of time but were giving codes out again as of 2 weeks ago.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by mmeskill
Go to: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller to start the process.
Submit the application and pay 50GBP
This is what I was wondering about this "scheme".

Is this 50GBP a year? Expensive.
Does it have to be renewed every year via the same process?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by gengar
I e-mailed MP asking for one - as I mentioned in the post StingWest linked, UA not only took a week to reply, but went out of their way to tell me that they had codes but weren't going to give me one. (Given my poor rate of response on UA - I had two issues to 1K Voice involving paid int'l F flights go completely unanswered - perhaps UA feels I should be grateful I got a reply at all.)

In the BA thread, FT'ers mentioned stacks of invites being available at immigration and at BA lounges, so perhaps the same is true at the UA terminal and lounges. You could also ask someone you know passing through LHR to pick one up for you. I will be going through LHR at the end of January and will pick up a bunch to distribute to FT'ers. (You would think UA would just have an employee get a bunch of these.)

Additionally, if you are BA Gold, call the UK Gold line (don't call the USA one - they won't know what you're talking about). BA ran out of codes for a short period of time but were giving codes out again as of 2 weeks ago.
Interesting. I'm going to email 1K voice and see what kind of response I get. I have a GS co-worker that got an invite and code from the GFL at LHR.

I'm flying F on BA in a week and a half and I'll be in the CCR and see if I can get one there. Using fast track when I fly UA and BA into LHR is fine, but I'm going to be having a lot of flights on BA out of LGW and they have no fast track there which is where the trusted traveler would really be beneficial.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by ryman554
Is this 50GBP a year? Expensive.
Does it have to be renewed every year via the same process?
I assume that the renewal process will just be a payment of the annual fee.

I agree that it's extremely pricy relative to GE (especially since GE also helps with PreCheck), but it's still nice to get the option of using EU lines / gates and not to have to fill out landing cards.

Originally Posted by XCstud
Interesting. I'm going to email 1K voice and see what kind of response I get. I have a GS co-worker that got an invite and code from the GFL at LHR.

I'm flying F on BA in a week and a half and I'll be in the CCR and see if I can get one there. Using fast track when I fly UA and BA into LHR is fine, but I'm going to be having a lot of flights on BA out of LGW and they have no fast track there which is where the trusted traveler would really be beneficial.
If the CCR doesn't have them, try GF across the walkway - that's where many FT'ers on the BA thread reported getting theirs, although a few FT'ers reported today that they picked up the last few at GF (or, of course, you could try posting in the BA thread and asking for one from them).

If you are going through T5 immigration, it is also reported in the BA thread that there are invites at the entrance to the normal non-EU line, but not at Fast Track. Don't know if this is true at other terminals, but it might help to check the normal line if you don't see any at Fast Track.

You can of course also ask the immigration officer if you are entering UK. Several FT'ers were given invites by the immigration officer.

Last edited by gengar; Jan 11, 2015 at 12:13 am
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Read post #7 if you have not got a code as it bypassed the need for the airline to give it to him/her.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Read post #7 if you have not got a code as it bypassed the need for the airline to give it to him/her.

I did what mmeskill in post #7 suggested and the Border Forces agent gave me one right at the booth after flipping through my passport to confirm my many UK stamps. He a pile of them right there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.