Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider
From UA:

Subject: Updated MileagePlus Premier requirements for 2016 status

"Our best customers come first"

"Customers who do more business with us should enjoy our best benefits.

Last year, we introduced Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) so customers who spend more with us can enjoy more access to benefits like Premier upgrades, Economy Plus® seating and Premier Access®. On January 1, 2015, we will adjust our PQD requirement for 2016 Premier status."

Then the new chart with $3K, $6K, $9K, $12K

"The PQD requirement only applies to members who live in the U.S. and can be waived for members who hold a United® MileagePlus® Presidential PlusSM Card, or members who spend $25,000 or more in Net Purchases in 2015 on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank, N.A.. The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K® status."

From inquiry on why
.... over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles. This change also reflects a trend that has been emerging in loyalty programs across many industries and among our competitors. ...
MileagePlus® Service Center
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Not unexpected.

I wonder how and when they'll push communication on this. That's usually where UA goes from bad to worse.

In my opinion, its always better to announce a change before silently posting on your web site. That always results in chatter, rumors, and negative publicity.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Madone59
WOW!

The squeeze continues. When will they start improving the product?
I'd just be happy if they operated what they had now properly! Agree with the others - this change is stunning.... I wonder if Delta offered double miles for flights that arrive over 30 min late if UA would follow?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Maybe it will reduce the volume of 1k's to a point that being 1k may mean something.
Keep thinking that...not in this age of reduced industry competition and anti-elite attitudes from UA specifically (GS excluded)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: None - previously UA
While my response will not be the norm on this board, I am absolutely fine with this change. Maybe it will reduce the volume of 1k's to a point that being 1k may mean something.
Really, other 1K's aren't your enemy as much as TOD's and other upgrades that go ahead of you are. And they aren't going to stop selling TOD's.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:15 am Reason: correction
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:00 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
So... Does the foreign address still waive the PQD?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Where do Small Biz folks go?

As someone who qualifies for Silver every year, I guess this will be my last year as a Premier. I'm a small business owner. You can call me a Kayaker too. Getting value for money is something I have to do for all aspects of my company's finances. WN is becoming more attractive...not because of anything they are improving, but because of all the changes/cuts UA is making. (Maybe getting the MileagePlus Club card is something I should look into.) Just depressing. I'm usually a staunch advocate of UA. (I signed myself up for a MileagePlus account when I was 11 years old and have been loyal ever since.) I have always thought that being positive helps get through the rough patches, (in most things in life). But it's getting harder and harder with this management crew. I understand they are running a business as well...a much MUCH larger business with shareholders. And while I don't have shareholders, (or understand how you keep both clients and shareholders happy at the same time), don't you have to keep your clients at least emotionally neutral? Maybe it is just the FT echo chamber...but morale amongst UA flyers has to be approaching an all-time low? DL and AA flyers could be in the same boat, I guess. OK, sorry for the rant. I'm done.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
While my response will not be the norm on this board, I am absolutely fine with this change. Maybe it will reduce the volume of 1k's to a point that being 1k may mean something.
Doesn't affect me either as I'm over $12k this year and may not even make Platinum.

But I don't agree with the logic that things will be better for 1K's as a result. I think the majority of 1K's are like me, where the PQD threshold is not really an issue. Its just that this forum is built on a history of fliers who collaborated to get as much out of frequent flying for as little spend as possible...all fair and above board, there's nothing wrong with doing that. But it makes for a disproportionate sample.

What I believe you should be concerned about is we're starting to see frequent changes that don't benefit customers. So you might be fine with it now, but at some point soon it's going to impact you, and me. As others have noted, there is a lot of taking without much giving back to customers.

I feel the same way about RDM earning. I actually do better under the new scheme (even a little better if I only make Platinum), but that's just for now...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by unitedfflyer
And while I don't have shareholders, (or understand how you keep both clients and shareholders happy at the same time), don't you have to keep your clients at least emotionally neutral?
That's a good way to put it!

If the rants escalate much beyond FT, then maybe that would make some difference. But I fear with such low fuel costs, even poorly run airlines will make a profit in the short term. Profit, or lack thereof, is the only thing that will make a difference in who runs what!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I can tell you one thing - corporate travel departments will not like this change, as it will likely increase the number of those who deliberately pick more expensive flights in order to ensure they reach revenue thresholds.

My only reasonable alternative is AA. Pros and cons to each (UA, AA), although they are, for the most part, more or less the same in aggregate in terms of fares and routes I fly.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Nov 13, 2014 at 11:01 am
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Maybe it will reduce the volume of 1k's to a point that being 1k may mean something.
You are dellusional. Even if it may reduce the number of 1ks, you really see an increase in benefits? Dream on.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I agree. To get there, I'll have to restrict my flying to UA/*A, though (I guess an outcome UA is hoping for...)

Maybe there's no announcement yet because they haven't put the final touches on an enhanced 1K program to account for the fact 1Ks don't get the $25k CC cheat. I gotta quit that pakalolo so early in the morning...

I haven't seen ToD affect ex-OGG since I have getting my upgrades pretty much at T-96, but I'm thinking with revenue requirement, there might be more purchases of P (esp. ex-SFO), which is actually reasonable between left coast and Hawaii. That WOULD reduce my CPU chances.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:40 am
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
At least they haven't copied AA's scheme of separating qualification between miles and $ so that you can mix and match with UA. It does mean that the occasional expensive trip will just about do it.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
The concealment of this change is very troublesome. There was no "heads up" from UA insider, no email (for me yet), and no announcement/link on the home page.

The premier status qualification requirements page is not somewhere we would often navigate to. Even in the charts, PQD amounts are in parentheses below the bolded PQM values.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Scuba2P
The concealment of this change is very troublesome. There was no "heads up" from UA insider, no email (for me yet), and no announcement/link on the home page.
I for one am not in the least bit surprised about UA going "cloak and dagger" on the change front. At least Smisek isn't on the TV jamming this down our throat as a "change we will like" (yet).
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I for one am not in the least bit surprised about UA going "cloak and dagger" on the change front. At least Smisek isn't on the TV jamming this down our throat as a "change we will like" (yet).
^ Nothing about this is surprising - either the change itself or the lack of announcement.

I'll "enjoy" AA for at least one more year, before they go this route as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.