Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checked Luggage for ORD-DUB Trip on UA Did Not Arrive With Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked Luggage for ORD-DUB Trip on UA Did Not Arrive With Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by happymom2008
I admitted I overreacted, but I have an extra pair of shoes that are broken in (in the case) as I have diabetes, all the other stuff is clothing and toiletries. It's my brand new B&R suitcase, too. Maybe a living nightmare was too harsh. Ok, but this sucks.

It took me a very long time to save up for this vacation and it sort of hurts. I just don't have the extra cash to replace everything.
Think of it this way...at least you aren't getting on a cruise going from port to port with no sensible way for them to deliver the bag!

Save your receipts you should be able to get some $ back from UA.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Think of it this way...at least you aren't getting on a cruise going from port to port with no sensible way for them to deliver the bag!

Save your receipts you should be able to get some $ back from UA.
You mean EI. Baggage delivery issues always default to final carrier.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
It's EI who said I can spend up to 60 and keep the receipts. The title is wrong here. UA CLE-ORD and EI ORD-DUB.
How much will your travel insurance, that you bought for your TATL trip, allow you to spend due to the delays? Its most likely more than 60 EUR fwiw.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
How much will your travel insurance, that you bought for your TATL trip, allow you to spend due to the delays? Its most likely more than 60 EUR fwiw.
Sorry, where did OP state that travel insurance was purchased? Or are you just being obnoxious?

Travel insurance is generally a very poor value, btw. Much like the insurance they try to sell you whenever you buy electronics. The profit margin is huge, the benefits typically minimal (and difficult to obtain).
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, where did OP state that travel insurance was purchased? Or are you just being obnoxious?

Travel insurance is generally a very poor value, btw. Much like the insurance they try to sell you whenever you buy electronics. The profit margin is huge, the benefits typically minimal (and difficult to obtain).
I have to assume that someone with medical conditions and who needs to take meds, as the OP stated she did, would purchase such insurance in the unlikely, yet very unfortunate, event that something medical would happen to her while she is over 4,000 miles away from her house. In that type of insurance, she most likely would also get other benefits, like baggage delay help.

If she does not have travel insurance, then maybe a credit card of hers also provides some of the benefits that would help her here.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. This should be in the EI thread. Of course EI told OP that it's UA's fault. UA would do the same thing in reverse. Agents say all kinds of things to get irate customers off their backs. The fact is that the bag will catch up to OP. And, if OP calls EI, EI can have the bag rerouted directly to OP's hotel in LON and it won't even have to sit around DUB (unless it's already enroute).

2. None of the blame-laying matters. It is the delivering carrier's responsibility to locate , deliver and compensate for loss or damage and for reasonable interim expenses if any. Doesn't matter whether UA or EI is at fault.

3. Given liberal carry-on rules, it ought to be possible to easily carry several days clothing (and perhaps more) and not to even sweat a 2-3 delay in bag arrival.

4. As to the CPAP, it's carryon. If the woman stuffed it or anything of immediate value such as meds, in her checked luggage, that is on her and not the carrier. Can't protect people from themselves.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I admitted I overreacted, but I have an extra pair of shoes that are broken in (in the case) as I have diabetes, all the other stuff is clothing and toiletries. It's my brand new B&R suitcase, too. Maybe a living nightmare was too harsh. Ok, but this sucks.

It took me a very long time to save up for this vacation and it sort of hurts. I just don't have the extra cash to replace everything.

I a.o had my yellow FTer badge attached as well
That I hear 100%, and sorry again for the situation.
You don't have the cash, but do you have credit cards with open credit line?

I have credit cards and cash on a Cap One 360.
In Dublin, you should be able to cover all your emergency expenses with a credit card, and just remember to keep the receipts (which also gives you more protection, as the credit card appears, showing they really were your purchases).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 4, 2014 at 12:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quote
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

I did not have insurance. I am hoping I will get my bag. I did the Twitter with EI and UA to see if anything came up. UA said bag arrived in ORD and was give to EI. This was from my Twitter inquiriry.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
That I hear 100%, and sorry again for the situation.
You don't have the cash, but do you have credit cards with open credit line?
I have credit cards and cash on a Cap One 360.

My diabetes is well controlled. I just worry about a lot of walking and now I only have one pair of Adidas hybrid hiker/trainers. I have all my meds and electronics, never ever would check those.

I had nice clothes, as I'm also in Paris for a week.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
In Dublin, you should be able to cover all your emergency expenses with a credit card, and just remember to keep the receipts (which also gives you more protection, as the credit card appears, showing they really were your purchases).
I've done that, but jet lag set in and I'm wiped, now in my hotel room.

You can follow me on Twitter @TheCosmosHuman

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 4, 2014 at 10:23 am Reason: 5x merge
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I did not have insurance. I am hoping I will get my bag. I did the Twitter with EI and UA to see if anything came up. UA said bag arrived in ORD and was give to EI. This was from my Twitter inquiriry.
And, there you have it. UA says it gave the bag to EI and EI says that it did not receive the bag from UA.

But, OP doesn't need to worry about this. IATA convention means he deals with EI and EI only. EI and UA can slug it out if need be (but they won't).

I would not buy anything over the EI authorized allowance which I could not afford to purchase and not be reimbursed for.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

The only silver lining to this are the EU regulations for lost, delayed baggage. I'll read up on the regulation. I know exactly what I packed. I have a receipt of the suitcase, as I bought it on Amazon, but with their store card, got a good deal, but paid it off very quickly before I would have been charged interest. The shoes alone were nearly 80$. I'm good at keeping readers and also good at letter writing, as in my job, I'm an advocate for seniors...social worker.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The only silver lining to this are the EU regulations for lost, delayed baggage. I'll read up on the regulation. I know exactly what I packed. I have a receipt of the suitcase, as I bought it on Amazon, but with their store card, got a good deal, but paid it off very quickly before I would have been charged interest. The shoes alone were nearly 80$. I'm good at keeping readers and also good at letter writing, as in my job, I'm an advocate for seniors...social worker.
It never hurts to be prepared, but it's quite unlikely that your bag won't be found. The main question is how long it'll take to arrive.

Have a great trip anyway! I know the exact date of the last time I had a delayed bag: September 10th, 2001. We heard about the attacks from the courier who delivered it the next day.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
?...It's my brand new B&R suitcase, too.....

It took me a very long time to save up for this vacation and it sort of hurts. I just don't have the extra cash to replace everything...
Next time you buy a suitcase, re-think spending a lot of money on a bag that you hand over to airlines. No extra cash, had to save a long time ,but an expensive bag? Hopefully it was a gift.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... It took me a very long time to save up for this vacation and it sort of hurts. I just don't have the extra cash to replace everything. ....
Since 99% of delayed bags are recovered in a day or two you (even if you move to your next destination), you just need enough to carry on in the meantime.

Moderator caution to folks replying
Let's be a little less with the criticisms and a little more with the helpful information.
Many of us are perhaps a bit more experienced and understand the circumstances better than most travelers.
FT is here to help each other, not to point out what we "knowledgeable travelers always do" in a condensing way.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 5, 2014 at 8:13 pm Reason: moderator note - typo corrected
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I did not have insurance.
Some credit cards offer variations of trip insurance if you charge your ticket to the card. I'd look at your card's web site to check if you have any coverage there.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat

a poor value for everyone but me who ALWAYS seems to have a delayed bag, a missed connection or other travel mishap...instead of the "most interesting man in the world," I am the "most unlucky man in the world" when it comes to travel issues.....buy insurance for any really important vacation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.