Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Award Flight to Rome: UA767 or LH380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Hello...have two choices going over...

767 through Munich then on to Rome (United)
A380 through Frankfurt then on to Rome (Luft)

Both would be in economy. Which one would you take and why?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I prefer the UA 767 Y seats over the LH (not LF :- A380 seats. And if you want E+ for a few extra inches of pitch UA is reasonably priced (or free for elites).

LH will give you a free drink and arguably a better meal but I am usually asleep straight after departure having eaten in the terminal rather than waiting until on board. And I prefer the content selection on UA's IFE system over LH's.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:01 pm

I would opt for UA... if you have time on your layover, checkout the attractions at the airport and even outside MUC if you have longer layover.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I'd go with UA as well, even though LH's food and beverage service is a lot better. 35 inches of seat pitch in E+ is big upgrade over LH's 31 inches, especially on an overnight flight, and if you book a window seat on the 767 there's only one person between you and the aisle versus two on the A380.

Plus, MUC is vastly easier and faster to connect through than FRA.

(If I had this choice in the other direction, I might go with LH because I've yet to fly the A380. But, you know, I'm one of Those People...)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mtneer1969
I would opt for UA... if you have time on your layover, checkout the attractions at the airport and even outside MUC if you have longer layover.
+1 . . . and on award ticket you could make the layover long enough to see Munich.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
+1 . . . and on award ticket you could make the layover long enough to see Munich.
two words: beer, Munich

my vote is for the UA 767 as well, unless there are 2 or 3 people in OP's party.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:31 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I see most posters assume OP would get E+ for free (his/her profile does not mention any status with UA). Does it mean UA grants free E+ seating to FF redemption reservations? I am just curious....

PS. My vote goes to LH - UA 767's are so worn - IIRC only F/C sections were refurbished a bit when fully flat seats were introduced - Coach looks so 1990's...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I would pick UA ONLY if OP has some way of getting E+. I think that the extra legroom is worth the substandard food and surly flight attendants of UA, but if not getting E+, there is nothing better about UA and a lot that is worse.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I would pick UA ONLY if OP has some way of getting E+. I think that the extra legroom is worth the substandard food and surly flight attendants of UA, but if not getting E+, there is nothing better about UA and a lot that is worse.
E+ on UA beats Y on LH IMHO every time. E- on UA? Go with LH, as the food will be better.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
E+ on UA beats Y on LH IMHO every time. E- on UA? Go with LH, as the food will be better.
is LH's food better on TATL flights?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...an-routes.html
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by TENYKS
is LH's food better on TATL flights?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...an-routes.html
My only recent experience TATL in coach was on OS, and yes, their food was better than UA's in coach. Which, of course, isn't that much of an achievement considering just how bad UA's food has become.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Having just taken LH's 380 in Y from IAH to FRA,which turned out to be a full flight, I can say that this will be first and last time in Y on this LH bird. Very uncomfortable with it's 3-4-3 seating when full, free drinks and better food than UA, flaky touch screen IFE, so overall I would take a UA 767 to FCO in E+ rather than a LH 380 bird. There are other star options as well but not sure about them.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Having just taken LH's 380 in Y from IAH to FRA,which turned out to be a full flight, I can say that this will be first and last time in Y on this LH bird. Very uncomfortable with it's 3-4-3 seating when full, free drinks and better food than UA, flaky touch screen IFE, so overall I would take a UA 767 to FCO in E+ rather than a LH 380 bird. There are other star options as well but not sure about them.
at least it's better than 3-4-3 in 777 on some airlines? (i.e. AA and soon, UA)
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
No question, UA if you can get in E+.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by c5marine
Hello...have two choices going over...

767 through Munich then on to Rome (United)
A380 through Frankfurt then on to Rome (Luft)

Both would be in economy. Which one would you take and why?

Thanks!
When do you want to arrive? LH may be more reliable at getting you to your destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.