Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Q3 '14 Financials: $1.1bn profit, excluding special items

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by 787fan
These are beating the crap out of DL numbers ... Of course now DL will claim everything is "specials" so you need to keep backing out and fudging to reach the metric that makes them look better
IMO DL won't post impressive numbers for awhile as they grow their hub in SEA.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by sbm12
MTM accounting for fuel hedges is apparently a special for everyone. So is significant fleet changes. UA has taken similar charges in the past and likely will again in the future.
I understand that, but I see something like $400m mark down for DL's fuel hedges. That's a very significant screw up on their hedging strategies.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by edcho
IMO DL won't post impressive numbers for awhile as they grow their hub in SEA.
Somewhat agreed. Although I would think their reckless expansion at LAX would contribute to that as well.

They're essentially using the heartland dominant hubs to subsidize the coastal ones.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 787fan
Somewhat agreed. Although I would think their reckless expansion at LAX would contribute to that as well.
Reckless or strategic? Sure they're taking a haircut at first, but if they can overtake UA's dominance, this may be very lucrative in the long run.

A major carrier needs to be well established in LAX.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by channa
Reckless or strategic? Sure they're taking a haircut at first, but if they can overtake UA's dominance, this may be very lucrative in the long run.

A major carrier needs to be well established in LAX.
UA hasn't really dominated LAX since 2001 and this decade no single carrier has dominated. The big 3 all have a sizeable presence now.

Back in 2001 UA had over 20% share if you count CO (about 18% without).
AA was around 15% and Delta + NW around 10%.

By 2010 they had shrunk to neck in neck with AA.

Here's 2006 absolute numbers:

AA: 9.2 + 1.5 = 10.7
UA: 9.8 + 2.3 = 12.1
DL: 4.4 + 2.3 = 6.7

2010:

AA: 8.5 + 1.9 = 10.4
UA: 7.7 + 2.5 = 10.2
DL: 6.5

2013:

AA: 10.6 + 2.0 = 12.6
UA: 11.0
DL: 9.0

Unfortunately can't find the pre 2006 absolute numbers, just someone's reference of 2001 market share. But you get the point UA or anyone hasn't been a clear leader at LAX for a while.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
As a frequent reader of the Upsell & TOD threads, has anyone analyzed the ancillary revenue figures yet?

I'm curious what kind of contributing factor that played.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
As a frequent reader of the Upsell & TOD threads, has anyone analyzed the ancillary revenue figures yet?

+1 - we all know UA leads the way in selling out upgrades from under its elites, so I'm sure it helped with the numbers
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

I was just thinking the same. Probably $800 million of this is $59 TOD upgrade to kettles

The only "bad" part here is that the constant devaluation of everything from CPU's to redemption values will be credited with this, so it's not unrealistic to expect more of the same.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:56 am
Suspended

I helped w yield and prasm as I booked all my flights on aa and I'm cheap. Well except now on my aa express flight 300 miles each way for $350 round trip.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I was just thinking the same. Probably $800 million of this is $59 TOD upgrade to kettles

The only "bad" part here is that the constant devaluation of everything from CPU's to redemption values will be credited with this, so it's not unrealistic to expect more of the same.
and if they're making this much profit then losing the HVF that everyone keeps talking will be the downfall in the long run may not be much of a downfall
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 am

On the conf call...

The 763s are staying around through at least 2020. UA just announced they are refurbing them.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
On the conf call...

The 763s are staying around through at least 2020. UA just announced they are refurbing them.
Further, some 787-10 deliveries have been deferred into the 2020-2022 timeframe, from 2017-2018. It sounded like the company will maintain some flexibility to accelerate if needed. I think they are backing away from their initial post-merger capex binge and trying to be more judicious with their deployment of capital. A 763ER refurb is a great place to start.

Also some discussion of picking up some used 737-700s, I believe? I have been multitasking listening to the call and missed some discussion on that topic.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACVBear
and if they're making this much profit then losing the HVF that everyone keeps talking will be the downfall in the long run may not be much of a downfall
Perhaps, but UA's aggregate profit for the first 9 months of 2014 is exactly the same as AA's second quarter profit, $1.5 billion.

Year to date, DL has earned $3.45 billion, AA has earned $3.1 billion and UA has earned $1.5 billion.

UA had respectable profits in the second and third quarters. That's not an extremely difficult feat. It's those pesky fourth and first quarters that have challenged UA management since March 3, 2012.

All amounts above are "excluding special items." If special items are included, then UA's year to date profit is even more pathetic compared to DL and AA.

UA may have finally turned the corner, but the management incompetence that devastated the 2012 and 2013 results continues to weigh on the current results.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
On the conf call...

Including leased 763's?
By refurb does that mean 3 class -> 2 class?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
props to UA for a nice report, looking forward to seeing more details particularly re: ancillary rev. i'm sure that with their PRASM numbers they are happy to be largely rid of me, considering my YTD UA spend has been about 7cpm. DL and AS seem to like my money so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.