Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Twitter response time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

United's Twitter response time

While the number of responses from United on their Twitter account has increased I notice that the time and percent of questions answered varies greatly.

Has anyone received consistent response from them. For me it has ranged from minutes to hours to not at all with both direct messages and tweets @ them.

American has always responded to my tweets within fifteen mins.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2014 at 9:16 pm Reason: tweaked title to make subject clearer
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're asking anything other than a reservations question don't expect a reply. UA hasn't staffed the social media team to reply to everything and everyone. And I much prefer than over seeing AA reply about cookies on board all the time. And they certainly don't always respond or always get it right, but it is getting much better.

I still put @JetBlue as the gold standard on this front. They only engage when it matters and they do so promptly and appropriately just about every time.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ok.. This is a tough one.. United has made no affirmation as to the validity of twitter as a contact mechanism.. so YMMV.. However.. I have had more than one problem fixed via tweeting when I was having difficulty getting through to an agent (Our of KOA)

Furthermore.. Proper Social web contacts, specifically when I wanted to praise a particular crew member (not by name of course) were met VERY promptly.. ie seconds to single digit minutes..

I have a philosophy that is some what "pick your fights" and "Keep your powder dry".. Save those interactions until you need the bang for the buck!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I got a text 45 seconds after a brief MX that I was protected on next connect. With that in place, leave twitter to the Kardashians
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
I've had excellent success with direct messages to the Twitter team. If its not urgent it sometimes takes 1-2 hours for a reply, but it beats HUACA with phone agents (especially for changing things after schedule changes)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you're asking anything other than a reservations question don't expect a reply. UA hasn't staffed the social media team to reply to everything and everyone. And I much prefer than over seeing AA reply about cookies on board all the time. And they certainly don't always respond or always get it right, but it is getting much better.

I still put @JetBlue as the gold standard on this front. They only engage when it matters and they do so promptly and appropriately just about every time.
Too bad I don't fly JetBlue.

What I notice is every few min United twitters. The people they are responding to may have asked their questions from minutes to hours. The questions they answer are not particular to reservations and when they do answer reservation type questions the time between question and answer is mins to hours.

They have been helpful. But they are not consistent. They are consistent at producing a twitter every few minutes.

Who is Radian6-Social Media Management? They are who they treat via.
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
I've had excellent success with direct messages to the Twitter team. If its not urgent it sometimes takes 1-2 hours for a reply, but it beats HUACA with phone agents (especially for changing things after schedule changes)
But you can't depend on them if you are in a pinch. Its hard to find someone to depend on if you are in a pinch.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Yappy
Who is Radian6-Social Media Management? They are who they treat via.

It's a tool companies use to monitor activity. It is a competitor to HootSuite Enterprise and others. Radian6 was purchased a few years ago by Salesforce.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by ncorman
It's a tool companies use to monitor activity.
It is way more than that. It also allows incoming messages to be triaged/assigned to a team member and manages the outbound content as well.

And, yes, they will reply to other stuff, but the core competency is reservations-related inquiries. Makes sense given that they are res agents working for the team.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
I tweeted UA once and then I turned my phone off for the flight so I didn't see the reply until I landed (SFO-LAX) but I think it wasn't too long after I tweeted.

I actually wasn't expecting a reply! If you're a heavily mentioned account, I imagine that a lot of tweets will get buried in your feed. So it may be possible that things will get lost in the ether and I'm not surprised about the inconsistency. I don't consider twitter to be a great customer service solution medium given the 140 character limit.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
I tweeted UA once and then I turned my phone off for the flight so I didn't see the reply until I landed (SFO-LAX) but I think it wasn't too long after I tweeted.

I actually wasn't expecting a reply! If you're a heavily mentioned account, I imagine that a lot of tweets will get buried in your feed. So it may be possible that things will get lost in the ether and I'm not surprised about the inconsistency. I don't consider twitter to be a great customer service solution medium given the 140 character limit.
I found Twitter to be great. You can get their attention in 140 characters and then they take the messages to private after that. I was able to protect my parents on a later flight via Twitter in a matter of 30 min.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Earlier this year, the UA Twitter account quickly solved a problem I had redeeming a paper zone-fare certificate. I haven't needed to call on their help since, but I have seen them respond to tweets in which I mention @united but don't particularly compliment the airline or complain about it--"good to see you on board," that sort of thing. The response time also seems reasonably short when people I follow gripe about UA, even if the replies may not solve the issue.

For a while, the UA Twitter account had an issue tweeting replies obviously meant for one person to their entire audience. Is that a bug with Radian6 or a mistake its interface can invite?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
For a while, the UA Twitter account had an issue tweeting replies obviously meant for one person to their entire audience. Is that a bug with Radian6 or a mistake its interface can invite?
The old system allowed for that; the new one (Radian6 was only recently implemented) doesn't.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
About 3.5 hours

Another data point for this thread: I wanted to SDC from a connecting flight to a non-stop flight, but the app only showed a later connecting flight, while the site wouldn't allow any sort of SDC and suggested I call (which would have been a poor option, since I'm at a conference and would rather not have to camp out on my phone for 15 minutes).

I tweeted to @united to see if they could handle that; I got a reply back 1:45 later, I DMed my flight info, and less than two hours later it was done. They can put me down as a satisfied customer. ^
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
They've pretty much always responded to me.

Except one very noted time--I thanked and commended them for taking care of me so many times and for so many years (I think this particular time was 'holding' a flight long enough for me to make my connection).
Never heard a peep back from them.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Twitter response time?

Usually have good experiences using United Twitter but I am now waiting for 34hrs! Is this the norm now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.