Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I cannot speak to your checked luggage, but I think the boarding pass machine at LAX will print the IAD-FRA BP for you, which will give you access to the LH lounge at IAD upon landing. I would suggest using the TK lounge since it opens at 6am (vs. 8:30am for the LH lounge), and IMO, it is nicer than the LH lounge.

You can always try the boarding pass on the UA app as well if that's easier. Have your *G card just in case although lately I have not been asked.

Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
Thanks.

So I booked

10/01 FRA-LAX
10/03 LAX-IAD red eye (arrives 5:30am on 10/04)
10/04 IAD-FRA (leaves 5:30pm)

All ticketed as UA flights.

I am a Star Alliance Gold. So your saying I could use the Lufthansa lounge?

Last edited by 764toHI; Sep 28, 2017 at 6:56 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So I should be able to check my bags all the way through because its under 13 hours right?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 13 hour rule has been removed BUT

So in this case, the re-check rule seems to apply clearly for the LAX stop. The IAD probably will be YMMV but I'm guessing (unless the computer balks) you have a good chance.
I'm guessing there is still a duration rule, as "overnight" is a pretty nebulous concept. What if I arrive at 0005? Arrive 2300, depart 0055? Arrive 0250?

But I think OP should be fine to get the bag checked through. Double-check the actual bag tag in LAX though - always good to be on the safe side!

I am a Star Alliance Gold. So your saying I could use the Lufthansa lounge?

Wouldn't that require getting a boarding pass for the 10/04 flight on 10/03? Is that allowed?
You will likely just get a stack of BPs when you check in at LAX. If not, you can definitely get a BP either on your phone or at a UA counter in IAD for the onward flight when you arrive.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:55 pm

FLL-SFO-AKL - long layover, all UA, seperate tickets - bags?

Hello -

I've booked at different times so two different records.
FLL-SFO
SFO-AKL

The FLL-SFO arrives 10am and SFO-AKL departs 10:45pm.
Will UA check the bags all the way through in FLL?
I realize separate tickets but single airline.

If so, are they going to tell me the layover is too long at SFO to do this?

If the layover is too long, does anyone know a paid luggage storage place at SFO and how early one can then recheck the bags for AKL?

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by chuck1
Hello -

I've booked at different times so two different records.
FLL-SFO
SFO-AKL

The FLL-SFO arrives 10am and SFO-AKL departs 10:45pm.
Will UA check the bags all the way through in FLL?
I realize separate tickets but single airline.

If so, are they going to tell me the layover is too long at SFO to do this?

If the layover is too long, does anyone know a paid luggage storage place at SFO and how early one can then recheck the bags for AKL?

Thanks!
Yes, you can check your bags all the way through. SFO-AKL only operates once a day so you can easily have your bags checked for a 12 hour "legal" connection. Just ask the agent in FLL to tag them through and be sure to have a print out of both tickets to make it easier for him/her to find the records and manually adjust the bag tag to get the bags to AKL.

-RM
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:32 am

Ok - but the layover is 12h 45m (10a-10:45pm). Is that going to matter to UA?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:28 am

I want to double check that my bags will be checked through to final destination on upcoming trip. EWR-SFO-OGG and back booked through UA, with a partner segment. The SFO-OGG is on Hawaiian. The ticket numbers are the same, and it was originally 1 PNR for both legs.

However, I used miles to wait list an upgrade, and the partner segments have disappeared from the UA website, but still show ticketed on HA. Posters here told me the upgrade request split the PNR. Will bags still be checked through?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
I want to double check that my bags will be checked through to final destination on upcoming trip. EWR-SFO-OGG and back booked through UA, with a partner segment. The SFO-OGG is on Hawaiian. The ticket numbers are the same, and it was originally 1 PNR for both legs.

However, I used miles to wait list an upgrade, and the partner segments have disappeared from the UA website, but still show ticketed on HA. Posters here told me the upgrade request split the PNR. Will bags still be checked through?
"Split the PNR" means to take a PNR (aka reservation) for multiple people and turn it into multiple, identical reservations for a smaller number of people, often one.

What you're seeing is simply the fact that the airline systems get confused about multi-carrier itineraries sometimes.

As long as you can pull up your reservation on the Hawaiian Airlines website or by calling them, and the current ticket number in UA's system matches what's in HA's system, you'll be fine for transportation.

As far as the baggage goes -- make sure you get to the airport a little early in case of problems, and bring a printout of your receipt; then, during the check-in process, make sure that your bags are tagged to OGG. Despite what you're seeing in the system, that may happen automatically. (Sometimes the issues you're describing are just display issues). However, if they're only tagged to SFO, explain the situation to the agent and show them the receipt. Because you bought the flights on a single ticket, UA will tag the bags to the final destination.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
.... However, I used miles to wait list an upgrade, and the partner segments have disappeared from the UA website, but still show ticketed on HA. Posters here told me the upgrade request split the PNR. Will bags still be checked through?
You can call UA or just check on the HA site (using the HA PNR)

Just beware there will be bag check fees for HA on the return but HA will check to bag thru UA to home airport.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

As far as the baggage goes -- make sure you get to the airport a little early in case of problems, and bring a printout of your receipt; then, during the check-in process, make sure that your bags are tagged to OGG. Despite what you're seeing in the system, that may happen automatically. (Sometimes the issues you're describing are just display issues). However, if they're only tagged to SFO, explain the situation to the agent and show them the receipt. Because you bought the flights on a single ticket, UA will tag the bags to the final destination.
Just beware there will be bag check fees for HA on the return but HA will check to bag thru UA to home airport.
Thank you both, you confirmed what I suspected. When I view the checked bag summary on UA it does show final destination still, and shows the waived fees there and the charges on HA on the way back.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
If I arrive at MIA at 12:15 AM and then depart at 6:20 AM, all on UA and all on the same ticket, any chance they'll let me check my bag through instead of needing to claim it and re-check it? Hoping to stay airside the whole time at the lounge in J, but if I have to claim the bag, the UA counter apparently doesn't open until 5:00 AM. Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Opinion needed....We've got an 8 hour layover in LAX, and we'll be checking bags. Originating from SMF on a Skywest-operated regional flight to LAX, then connecting onto Swiss Air for LAX - ZRH. Are we asking for it by checking the bags, or should this be ok? We're leaving Zurich the next morning, so won't be around for lost bags to catch up with us.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It should be fine. I wonder if the new UA system will track bags as they go to another carrier's system. But that may give you some assurance (or even worse make you worry).

Always carry essentials in a carry-on though.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LR2013
Opinion needed....We've got an 8 hour layover in LAX, and we'll be checking bags. ....
Overnight?
UA policy is not to hold bags overnight (but reports suggest many agents still will do it). See the thread's wiki for the full statement.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Overnight?
UA policy is not to hold bags overnight (but reports suggest many agents still will do it). See the thread's wiki for the full statement.
Fortunately not overnight, I wouldn't even try that. Landing at 11:30am, connecting to a 7:20pm flight.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:12 am

Overnight Connection

My TPAC flight arrives late afternoon and the second leg doesn’t depart until early afternoon the next day. Will I be able to check my bags all the way through to my final destination or will I have to check them in again the next day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.