Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
Map of the current setup:

From the first post of the thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

With a lot of activity around the corner at LAX, we’d like to provide you with an update on our long-term construction plans, and what that means for your travel experience in the interim.

Our goal is to offer a world-class experience at our LAX hub, and to that end we will be investing $450 million over the next several years to modernize our facilities and enhance the experience for our customers. Some changes have already occurred, including reconfiguration of multiple gates in Terminal 8 to handle additional narrow-body mainline aircraft. We will begin further improvements later this year, and by the end of 2017 we plan to open:
  • A brand-new check-in lobby and Premier check-in area
  • A dedicated Global Services Reception with direct security lane access
  • A reconfigured and expanded security checkpoint
  • A refurbished baggage claim area
  • Renovated gate-area hold rooms
  • A brand-new United Club with sweeping views and new amenities
To prepare for these changes, we will consolidate our operations into Terminals 7 and 8 over the next few weeks. Here’s what you need to know if you’re traveling to, from or through LAX:

Beginning September 24, 2014, the following changes will occur in the check-in lobby:
  • The Premier Lobby in Terminal 6 will close, and a temporary Premier lobby with Global Services check-in area will be available in Terminal 7
  • Global Services members will be invited to enter LAX curbside through Terminal 7
  • Dedicated Global Services security lanes will also remain available
Beginning October 27, 2014, the following changes will occur in our operations:
  • United will no longer use gates located in Terminal 6 (gates 60, 61, 62, and 63)
  • The United Club in Terminal 6 will close
  • The current United Club in Terminal 7 will continue to be available
  • The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club
  • All departing flights and most arriving flights will be consolidated into Terminals 7 & 8
  • Please note: Some international arrivals may use the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). These include flights from Sydney and Melbourne, and some flights from Mexico on a seasonal basis.
Thanks for your patience during this transition, and we appreciate your “pardoning our dust” as we work to improve our facilities at LAX.

-UA Insider
Security Checkpoint Setup

During this early stage of the construction, there remain four entry points for United passengers to get through security:

T6 Checkpoint: Although UA will soon cease service out of T6, T6 is connected to T7/C8 by a secured hallway, and the T6 security checkpoint remains a quiet checkpoint with full PreCheck.

T7 West Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 West a/k/a T6.4): This is now for general economy passengers only. There is no PreCheck and no Premier lane here now.
The passageway to T7 remains open (guarded from the T7 side by very mean redcoats) and is now clogged with general economy passengers who check in in T7 and must schlep through the hallway to the West-facing checkpoint.
T7 East Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 East a/k/a T6.6): This is PreCheck only, with a single line feeding to two TSOs, two x-ray machines, and two WTMDs. This is a probable significant improvement over the prior T6.4 Checkpoint PreCheck setup.

C8 Lower Level Checkpoint: Premier security is now at C8. No real PreCheck at this checkpoint.

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.
Print Wikipost

PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:11 pm

SYD had the FIRST CLASS lounge within the Red Carpet Club about ten years ago - it worked very well.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
And new UA has shown it's capable of building a club within a club (see LHR).
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyinbob
By the way, since I haven't used United to get to SYD in a few years now, can someone explain this part of the "big announcement":

So does this mean they aren't or won't be using the T6 Immigration and Customs arrivals any more? The flights from SYD arrive in the morning, not too early usually. So are UA international arrivals now ALL going to the TBIT?
The SYD-LAX is being retimed to an early morning arrival now that MEL is being decoupled with a dedicated flight. I'm not sure of the opening time of the T7 FIS but it may be later than the MEL/SYD arrivals. In any event, TBIT arrivals are much, much more pleasant now with the expansion complete. Moreover, the early arrivals facilitate better connections elsewhere in the system. For example, a MEL customer will soon be able connect to JFK in just one stop and be in New York by dinner time, as opposed to a double-connect and late evening arrival. That's an improvement and makes UA more competitive with QF or VA/DL.

When you cut your international departures to the bone, that's a draw-down.
With MEL coming next month and PVG going to 787-9, UA/LAX international ASMs will be nearing historical highs.

Last edited by EWR764; Sep 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
With MEL coming next month and PVG going to 787-9, UA/LAX international ASMs will be nearing historical highs.
You must have a very short memory.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:17 pm

Oh good, less gates, because there is never ever a wait to park at LAX.!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Oh good, less gates, because there is never ever a wait to park at LAX.!
But didn't you hear??? They are spending MULTI-MULTI-MULTI-MULTI BILLIONS of dollars to make it perfect! So THERE! You CAN'T criticize that!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:32 pm

But didn't you hear??? They are spending MULTI-MULTI-MULTI-MULTI BILLIONS of dollars to make it perfect! So THERE! You CAN'T criticize that!
I really am impressed by this company's ability to spend money to make things worse. At least they're consistent.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
In any event, TBIT arrivals are much, much more pleasant now with the expansion complete. Moreover, the early arrivals facilitate better connections elsewhere in the system. For example, a MEL customer will soon be able connect to JFK in just one stop and be in New York by dinner time, as opposed to a double-connect and late evening arrival. That's an improvement and makes UA more competitive with QF or VA/DL.
There is one major drawback. The walk from TBIT to T7 is at least 15 minute's and there will undoubtedly be a longer TSA check in with he closing of T6 check in. And forget about Inter-terminal A connector bus. You may end up waiting a half an hour for a bus to show up.

For example, a MEL customer will soon be able connect to JFK in just one stop and be in New York by dinner time, as opposed to a double-connect and late evening arrival.
A double connection has not been required as far back as I can remember. There is typically a LAX-JFK flight between 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM which worked quite well with the SYD arrival.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Sep 14, 2014 at 11:02 pm Reason: Merge
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
There is one major drawback. The walk from TBIT to T7 is at least 15 minute's and there will undoubtedly be a longer TSA check in with he closing of T6 check in. And forget about Inter-terminal A connector bus. You may end up waiting a half an hour for a bus to show up.
TBIT will be connected airside all the way to C8, so folks will be able to choose security at TBIT, the new connector checkpoint, T4, T5, T6, T7, or C8.

It is a long walk, though.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Simple question:

Will there be a GFL at LAX when this is completed?
Why would you need a GFL when you are getting rid of international first class?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Why would you need a GFL when you are getting rid of international first class?
For GSs like him. @:-)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I venture to say UA's LAX intl ASM peaked in year 2000, when LAX looked like an actual hub. IIRC UA operated flights such as 3x LAX-IAH, ~40x LAX-SFO, and even hourly service to SBP, MRY, etc. (There were lots of other examples, of course.)

Internationally, NRT, KIX, and HKG departures were in the morning (all 744), LHR and CDG (when was it canceled?) left in the afternoon, AKL, MEL, and SYD in the evening, and GUA, MEX, SAL in the wee hours.

Today, LAX-PVG and Mexican resorts are the new intl routes that I can think of. I dunno if they are enough to offset all the downgauges and canceled routes over the years.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
And what a mess AA will be now. "To get to your gate, just walk from AA's terminal through Delta and Alaska's entire operation. If you hit United, you've gone too far."
Eh, it's not much different than any major hub. Yes, AA will have a worse setup at LAX than DL or UA, but it's not that big of a deal.

Look at the T1-T3 setup we had at SFO for a year or two, or the A-C bus at EWR, or ORD spread out across T1 B/C, T2 E/F, with international inbounds at T5, or the mess that is IAH.

AA can setup a shuttle to/from T6, and it will be fine. The gates give AA the ability to expand in a market with no gates. It's a shame UA gave that up.

But see, here's the thing: unlike others, your pessimism and cynicism, as irksome as it can be, is often (as here) solidly rooted in reality, with perhaps a touch of spin.
Don't forget the abuse part. A few years of heavy travel under CO will turn most folks.

And so I can't really disagree with you here, other than to say that I think the new experience will be net better.
Let's hope so.

Originally Posted by andrewwm
What a bunch of sour grapes nonsense. The capital spending directly from UA's budget is going to be well over 30 million. At best UA might be able to get away with 1-2 less agents in the club. You can employ a lot of people for a long time for 30 million before you start "saving money."
You're comparing only the cost of the people. There's a lot more to it, but let's start with that. Two agents across all shifts for a club open some 18 hours a day is easily 4-5 FTEs. And then there is the service staff which will get reduced as well.

But the main issue is that they have to do something anyway. Closing T6 means there's no point in keeping a club there. Moving the traffic to T7/T8 means they will need more club space in T7 or T8. The T7 club is already full as it is, so they have to build something.

And we have no idea what they're saving by relinquishing those T6 gates. This new club could pay for itself pretty quick anyway.

So you can't say they're spending $30 million because they want to clean the place up. They have to spend something to deal with the mess they created by giving up T6.

All of these investments indicate that UA is serious about building facilities in LAX to compete for HVF.
These investments indicate that UA needs to build facilities in LAX to accommodate the customers it displaced from relinquishing the T6 gates.

If they didn't push those T6 customers to T7/T8, they may not be doing this. They would get some new carpet at the T6 club and call it a day.

I would like to see your review of the new UC in London. "This lounge is too nice and makes me wish AA had something better, which made me angry so I hate the place"
I haven't been to the LHR one, but I have been to the new UC at ORD. It's a nicer space with new chairs, and the same garbage amenities as the other domestic UA clubs. Stale cookies, frat party liquor, and cheap beer in a nicer setting. Since LAX is a domestic club, that's exactly what I anticipate here. That's why I'm not getting excited about it. That, and the tarmac view of hideous planes with a 25-year-old paint job isn't really a turn-on either.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
So the stats from the plan are that the new club will be 29,000 square feet.

The main one downstairs is 13,000 square feet.

T6 was about half the size of the T7 club, so call it 7,000 square feet.

Global First lounge even smaller, call it 5,000 square feet. Total 22,000 square feet before.

We're getting about 30% more space in a central location!
I'm not sure what the allure is about a central location.

Since T6 will be gone, the new LAX setup will have more long walks with more pax at gates further from a United club than we currently have. At least now if you're in the 60's, you can use the T6 club, and if you're in the 70's or 80's, you can use the T7 club. The only people who are far from a gate are those in T8.

The same number of flights will now be spread across just T7 and T8, meaning more people out of T8, or a long distance from the club.

Most people want a club close to their gate. Kind of like how ATL has 9 SkyClubs, or IAH has 5 UA Clubs.

It's over 1,000 feet from the center of the T7 entrance to the end of T8. This would be like UA closing the IAH C Club North and making people use C South and walking to the low-numbered C gates at IAH. That's about the same distance, though in IAH there are a couple moving sidewalks between North and South C, so it's actually easier than this.

A better solution would have been to add a T8 club instead. That way when they creep your delayed flight, you're not far from a club to duck back into. Real easy to do at T6 at the moment, fine at T7, not so easy at T8.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
"A double connection has not been required as far back as I can remember. There is typically a LAX-JFK flight between 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM which worked quite well with the SYD arrival"
Sorry, but all Melbourne pax had to change planes (or at least deplane/reboard) in Sydney for the LAX flight so yes there was (is until October) a double connection to JFK.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by channa

I'm not sure what the allure is about a central location.

Since T6 will be gone, the new LAX setup will have more long walks with more pax at gates further from a United club than we currently have. At least now if you're in the 60's, you can use the T6 club, and if you're in the 70's or 80's, you can use the T7 club. The only people who are far from a gate are those in T8.

The same number of flights will now be spread across just T7 and T8, meaning more people out of T8, or a long distance from the club.

Most people want a club close to their gate. Kind of like how ATL has 9 SkyClubs, or IAH has 5 UA Clubs.

It's over 1,000 feet from the center of the T7 entrance to the end of T8. This would be like UA closing the IAH C Club North and making people use C South and walking to the low-numbered C gates at IAH. That's about the same distance, though in IAH there are a couple moving sidewalks between North and South C, so it's actually easier than this.

A better solution would have been to add a T8 club instead. That way when they creep your delayed flight, you're not far from a club to duck back into. Real easy to do at T6 at the moment, fine at T7, not so easy at T8.
To me it feels like T7/T8 is basically the same setup in size as the first 2 piers of EWR Terminal C.

One big club there at the entrance between the piers.

And walk is similar to furthest gates of ORD midfield C where the club is smack in the middle.

Separately, for all the retrenchment talk, we all forget UA added an entire new pier of gates at SFO for a net gain over the old CO setup.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I venture to say UA's LAX intl ASM peaked in year 2000, when LAX looked like an actual hub. IIRC UA operated flights such as 3x LAX-IAH, ~40x LAX-SFO, and even hourly service to SBP, MRY, etc. (There were lots of other examples, of course.)

Internationally, NRT, KIX, and HKG departures were in the morning (all 744), LHR and CDG (when was it canceled?) left in the afternoon, AKL, MEL, and SYD in the evening, and GUA, MEX, SAL in the wee hours.

Today, LAX-PVG and Mexican resorts are the new intl routes that I can think of. I dunno if they are enough to offset all the downgauges and canceled routes over the years.
We're comparing to the year 2000?

Two economic cycles and two management teams since have shown that late 90s level was unsustainable for UA and a fleeting moment.

Maybe if things post 9/11 weren't so dire for them there was a shot, but even that is pushing it. UA was over-exposed to the late 90s California tech bubble and expanded/contracted accordingly. Part of that was being too aggressive too quickly bulking up LAX. It became a net share donor for about 10 years.

I wish TWA was still flying JFK transatlantic too.

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 15, 2014 at 10:25 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
You must have a very short memory.
Perhaps not as high as an era eons ago (tech-bubble 1990s) but easily comparable to 2007-2009. With planned upgauges, UAL will be at roughly 9m outbound international ASMs per day, which I think should compare favorably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.