Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
Map of the current setup:

From the first post of the thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

With a lot of activity around the corner at LAX, we’d like to provide you with an update on our long-term construction plans, and what that means for your travel experience in the interim.

Our goal is to offer a world-class experience at our LAX hub, and to that end we will be investing $450 million over the next several years to modernize our facilities and enhance the experience for our customers. Some changes have already occurred, including reconfiguration of multiple gates in Terminal 8 to handle additional narrow-body mainline aircraft. We will begin further improvements later this year, and by the end of 2017 we plan to open:
  • A brand-new check-in lobby and Premier check-in area
  • A dedicated Global Services Reception with direct security lane access
  • A reconfigured and expanded security checkpoint
  • A refurbished baggage claim area
  • Renovated gate-area hold rooms
  • A brand-new United Club with sweeping views and new amenities
To prepare for these changes, we will consolidate our operations into Terminals 7 and 8 over the next few weeks. Here’s what you need to know if you’re traveling to, from or through LAX:

Beginning September 24, 2014, the following changes will occur in the check-in lobby:
  • The Premier Lobby in Terminal 6 will close, and a temporary Premier lobby with Global Services check-in area will be available in Terminal 7
  • Global Services members will be invited to enter LAX curbside through Terminal 7
  • Dedicated Global Services security lanes will also remain available
Beginning October 27, 2014, the following changes will occur in our operations:
  • United will no longer use gates located in Terminal 6 (gates 60, 61, 62, and 63)
  • The United Club in Terminal 6 will close
  • The current United Club in Terminal 7 will continue to be available
  • The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club
  • All departing flights and most arriving flights will be consolidated into Terminals 7 & 8
  • Please note: Some international arrivals may use the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). These include flights from Sydney and Melbourne, and some flights from Mexico on a seasonal basis.
Thanks for your patience during this transition, and we appreciate your “pardoning our dust” as we work to improve our facilities at LAX.

-UA Insider
Security Checkpoint Setup

During this early stage of the construction, there remain four entry points for United passengers to get through security:

T6 Checkpoint: Although UA will soon cease service out of T6, T6 is connected to T7/C8 by a secured hallway, and the T6 security checkpoint remains a quiet checkpoint with full PreCheck.

T7 West Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 West a/k/a T6.4): This is now for general economy passengers only. There is no PreCheck and no Premier lane here now.
The passageway to T7 remains open (guarded from the T7 side by very mean redcoats) and is now clogged with general economy passengers who check in in T7 and must schlep through the hallway to the West-facing checkpoint.
T7 East Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 East a/k/a T6.6): This is PreCheck only, with a single line feeding to two TSOs, two x-ray machines, and two WTMDs. This is a probable significant improvement over the prior T6.4 Checkpoint PreCheck setup.

C8 Lower Level Checkpoint: Premier security is now at C8. No real PreCheck at this checkpoint.

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.
Print Wikipost

PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nycityny
How fast was precheck in T7? I've been using T6 precheck for quite some time since it's so fast. If T7 precheck has its act together perhaps I'll use it now.
I went through T7 precheck this past Tuesday morning at peak travel time and it took 5 minutes. Prior to the change over, this would have been less than 1 minute to clear.

Looks like they are still trying to get their act together. There are actually two precheck lanes and only one was open. With both open, wait time would have been nil.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 2, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I went through T7 precheck this past Tuesday morning at peak travel time and it took 5 minutes. Prior to the change over, this would have been less than 1 minute to clear.
My experience was the opposite. I found that the old setup often had a bottleneck at the single checker, who would often be distracted or shared with the non-PreCheck line. There was also only a single screening lane.

The new setup can accommodate two checkers and two screening lanes, and the checker will never be shared. I'm not sure how that setup could possibly be worse. It was definitely better when I went through last weekend -- lots of eligible folks, but the line moved extremely fast.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Very interesting.

Back when random passengers started getting precheck on their boarding passes and slowing down the lines I read here "horror" stories about LAX T7's precheck being tough. I guess that improved but I never learned about it since I started using T6. No real loss because the walk from T6 to T7 isn't that long. And I discovered the relative calm of T6's United Club (vs the large masses in T7's Club) and enjoyed it for awhile. I guess all good things must come to an end.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The new setup can accommodate two checkers and two screening lanes, and the checker will never be shared.

Yes...agree....The edit to my original post shares your same observation.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:16 am

In further thinking about my experience this past Tuesday, it seems that it would have been more practical to have switched the premier and economy checkin sections. Premier customers would then be located right next to precheck.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by nycityny
How fast was precheck in T7?
I went through it in less than 5 minutes. Unlike the old setup ( entering from T6 side), this one has 2 dedicated PreCheck lanes that are separate from the rest. I happened to go through at 7 am, when both were in operation. I like this setup much better.

That said, T7 is a bonafide ZOO. From the Premier check-in area, you'd have to wade through the crowds in the regular check-in area in order to reach Pre-Check. Lots of rolling handcarts filled with Asia-bound luggage....
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
No Pre Check?

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Soo. A Premier with Pre Check and going to the Lounge in T-7 should enter where? Im confused.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Hmm, did not get Pre Check for tomorrows flight (guess I was due) So I would assume T6 Checkpoint is my best way to go for fastest TSA.. Will be there around 6:00 am and want to go to the Lounge in T7. Are the doors for the old Premier Lobby open and can still head to the right to access the stairs for T6? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Hmm, did not get Pre Check for tomorrows flight (guess I was due) So I would assume T6 Checkpoint is my best way to go for fastest TSA.. Will be there around 6:00 am and want to go to the Lounge in T7. Are the doors for the old Premier Lobby open and can still head to the right to access the stairs for T6? Thanks and Safe Travels
Yes. That is still an option. Or, you can go all the way to the east end of T7 to the new premiere security.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:06 am

If you want to avoid a body-scanner, you can use the general economy entrance at T7 West, though the wait might be longer.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I quessed I missed the T-W General Economy Line (West) was empty at 4:45 am, however all I saw was TSA Pre Check. Agent directed me to T-E and the Premier Line. Only one lane was open (out of 2) and I would aassume that this would back up quickly. Made it through quickly and in the Lounge.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
My first time through LAX since the closing of T6 Premier check-in. What an absolute mess.

Global Services has its own little area, but every other type of premier has a single area for all of them that leads solely to self check-in machines (Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K, Star Silver and Star Gold (and probably credit card holders too). No agent desks.

I told the agent manning the line (well, telling everyone to use a machine) that I needed an agent. I was told the machines can do everything an agent can.

I said, "Wanna bet?" Finally an agent came over and fixed the problem (Pre-Check wouldn't print on my boarding pass because I had checked-in with OZ at ICN and they didn't enter my MileagePlus number for both segments).

My opinion of United just went down, and I didn't think there was any room for it to go down further than it was.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:05 pm

I quessed I missed the T-W General Economy Line (West) was empty at 4:45 am, however all I saw was TSA Pre Check. Agent directed me to T-E and the Premier Line. Only one lane was open (out of 2) and I would aassume that this would back up quickly. Made it through quickly and in the Lounge.. Thanks and Safe Travels
I think you may be using "T-W" to describe T7-East, and "T-E" to describe the C8 checkpoint.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
My first time through LAX since the closing of T6 Premier check-in. What an absolute mess.

Global Services has its own little area, but every other type of premier has a single area for all of them that leads solely to self check-in machines (Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K, Star Silver and Star Gold (and probably credit card holders too). No agent desks.

I told the agent manning the line (well, telling everyone to use a machine) that I needed an agent. I was told the machines can do everything an agent can.

I said, "Wanna bet?" Finally an agent came over and fixed the problem (Pre-Check wouldn't print on my boarding pass because I had checked-in with OZ at ICN and they didn't enter my MileagePlus number for both segments).

My opinion of United just went down, and I didn't think there was any room for it to go down further than it was.
Are you sure you were in the right place? It doesn't quite sound like you were...

See my picture upthread:

Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I
Are you sure you were in the right place? It doesn't quite sound like you were...

See my pictures upthread.
Yep. Your photo shows the roped area for GS. The area beyond that is for every other type of Premier in one queue.

And it was a whole lot busier than it was in your photo.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yep. Your photo shows the roped area for GS. The area beyond that is for every other type of Premier in one queue.

And it was a whole lot busier than it was in your photo.
You're saying that that area (with blue behind it in the photo) is just a bunch of kiosks with no agents? I had thought you might have ended up at the kiosk area under the bridge.

I imagine that it is, without a doubt, much busier than the old setup.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:09 pm

I was transferring in LAX the other day and had some one-on-one time with GS agents. They proactively told me that the Global First Lounge was permanently closing. I asked about when the new club opens on the 2nd floor but they said that they got word that they are getting rid of GFL in the new club.

When I arrived at the lounge, there were UA officials there doing a site survey with contractors and pretty much confirmed the same thing.

To be fair, it seemed extremely underutilized ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.